Alternative to Magma Sbus card with broken Solaris 9 driver? - SUN

This is a discussion on Alternative to Magma Sbus card with broken Solaris 9 driver? - SUN ; With Mobility Electronics complete stupidity and ineptitude to even reply to my customer support requests in recent months, and the continuing failure of their Solaris 9 Sbus card device driver to work, I've basically had enough of their software not ...

  1. Alternative to Magma Sbus card with broken Solaris 9 driver?

    With Mobility Electronics complete stupidity and ineptitude to even reply
    to my customer support requests in recent months, and the continuing
    failure of their Solaris 9 Sbus card device driver to work, I've basically
    had enough of their software not working and have all but dumped any
    possibility of getting modems to work with the dial-up server machine
    again. Since changing from a PCI-based to an Sbus-based Sun machine there
    have been no end of problems trying to get modems and serial devices to
    work again, even though the setup is the same and apart from device driver
    and base hardware platform differences nothing else has altered from a
    config point of view.

    Is anyone aware of a maker of Sbus serial port cards which still has
    current operating system support? I am aware that Sun dumped Sbus support
    when they released Solaris 10 so whatever is left over in Solaris 9 is
    probably as good as it gets.

    Failing being able to use a Sun Sbus card to add serial ports, the other
    option is completely rebuilding the machine with an alternative operating
    system such as NetBSD which does apparently support the Magma Sbus cards
    natively.

    The only other possible solution which is going to be doable at little
    cost is to get something like a Cisco 2509/2511 or a Lucent Portmaster 2,
    and use that to manage modems indirectly to the server machine. That's
    something I would have done in the past when I had more than a handful of
    modems running full-time with active dial-up connections, but now there is
    only two modems.

    If you can think of a solution let me know!

    Thanks,

    Craig.

    PS. Also posted at "http://www.sunshack.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=62"

  2. Re: Alternative to Magma Sbus card with broken Solaris 9 driver?

    Craig Ian Dewick wrote:

    > With Mobility Electronics complete stupidity and ineptitude to even
    > reply to my customer support requests in recent months, and the
    > continuing failure of their Solaris 9 Sbus card device driver to work,
    > I've basically had enough of their software not working and have all but
    > dumped any possibility of getting modems to work with the dial-up server
    > machine again. Since changing from a PCI-based to an Sbus-based Sun
    > machine there have been no end of problems trying to get modems and
    > serial devices to work again, even though the setup is the same and
    > apart from device driver and base hardware platform differences nothing
    > else has altered from a config point of view.
    >
    > Is anyone aware of a maker of Sbus serial port cards which still has
    > current operating system support? I am aware that Sun dumped Sbus
    > support when they released Solaris 10 so whatever is left over in
    > Solaris 9 is probably as good as it gets.
    >
    > Failing being able to use a Sun Sbus card to add serial ports, the other
    > option is completely rebuilding the machine with an alternative
    > operating system such as NetBSD which does apparently support the Magma
    > Sbus cards natively.
    >
    > The only other possible solution which is going to be doable at little
    > cost is to get something like a Cisco 2509/2511 or a Lucent Portmaster
    > 2, and use that to manage modems indirectly to the server machine.
    > That's something I would have done in the past when I had more than a
    > handful of modems running full-time with active dial-up connections, but
    > now there is only two modems.
    >
    > If you can think of a solution let me know!
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Craig.
    >
    > PS. Also posted at "http://www.sunshack.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=62"

    Most Sun have two serial ports. If you only have two modems ..

    Could you use a couple of machines if you need more? SPARC 20's are as
    cheap as chips now.

    Are there no PCI cards that will do this and swap the machine for a PCI
    one?

    Just a few thoughts...

    --
    Dave K MCSE.

    http://witm.sourceforge.net/ (Web based Mathematica front end)

  3. Re: Alternative to Magma Sbus card with broken Solaris 9 driver?

    On 2006-07-21, Craig Ian Dewick wrote:

    > Is anyone aware of a maker of Sbus serial port cards which still has
    > current operating system support? I am aware that Sun dumped Sbus support
    > when they released Solaris 10 so whatever is left over in Solaris 9 is
    > probably as good as it gets.

    Sun hasn't dumped SBus support. They have dropped some device support
    however I've got a pair of Ultra-2 boxes that are very much alive. Most
    of the "dumped" items include such stellar items as 10Mbit ethernet
    and crusty narrow SCSI chipsets, neither of which sits well in a Sol 10
    machine anyway. Sun hardware has depreciated so much in the last few
    years I'd consider an Ultra-60 a minimal play machine now.

    > Failing being able to use a Sun Sbus card to add serial ports, the other
    > option is completely rebuilding the machine with an alternative operating
    > system such as NetBSD which does apparently support the Magma Sbus cards
    > natively.

    I believe the Sun serial cards still work fine, so that'd be the best
    option. They couldn't possibly cost more than $20 second hand including
    the external box and cabling.

    > The only other possible solution which is going to be doable at little
    > cost is to get something like a Cisco 2509/2511 or a Lucent Portmaster 2,
    > and use that to manage modems indirectly to the server machine. That's
    > something I would have done in the past when I had more than a handful of
    > modems running full-time with active dial-up connections, but now there is
    > only two modems.

    Keeping the Sun theme, a Xylogic/Bay/Nortel Annex should also be near
    worthless these days.

    If you can't find any of the parts, I'm pretty sure my box o' Sun bits
    would have the required parts which I'd be happy to dispose of at beer
    compensation rates, mostly to cover the hideous queues in the post
    office.

    --
    Andre.

  4. Re: Alternative to Magma Sbus card with broken Solaris 9 driver?

    "Dave (from the UK)" writes:

    >Most Sun have two serial ports. If you only have two modems ..

    Yes I've been trying that option out - something isn't setting up the ports
    correctly so the 'mgetty' software is unable to get commands to/from the
    modems to set up the config in response to the modem sending back a 'RING'
    message.

    >Could you use a couple of machines if you need more? SPARC 20's are as
    >cheap as chips now.

    Indeed.

    >Are there no PCI cards that will do this and swap the machine for a PCI
    >one?

    Yes - I actually have a Magma 4-port and 16-port PCI card here. The PCI
    version of Magma's Solaris 9 driver works flawlessly. One thing I thought of
    doing is getting a cheap Netra t105 (which has a single PCI slot) to replace
    the server hardware again, and putting a Magma card into that.

    It's just the Solaris 9 Sbus driver that isn't working right, and Mobility's
    people don't seem to care which in a way isn't surprising as one of the
    first things they did after being out the old Magma was drop the Sbus
    products. Neither the Sbus or PCI cards are even mentioned in the main
    product section of the website now...

    Craig.
    --
    Craig Dewick - http://lios.apana.org.au/~craig http://jedi.apana.org.au/~craig
    Email to craig.foo@bar.lios.apana.org.au - craig.dewick.foo@bar.gmail.com

  5. Re: Alternative to Magma Sbus card with broken Solaris 9 driver?

    On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 15:28:41 +1000, Craig Ian Dewick wrote:

    > With Mobility Electronics complete stupidity and ineptitude to even reply
    > to my customer support requests in recent months, and the continuing
    > failure of their Solaris 9 Sbus card device driver to work, I've basically
    > had enough of their software not working and have all but dumped any
    > possibility of getting modems to work with the dial-up server machine
    > again. Since changing from a PCI-based to an Sbus-based Sun machine there
    > have been no end of problems trying to get modems and serial devices to
    > work again, even though the setup is the same and apart from device driver
    > and base hardware platform differences nothing else has altered from a
    > config point of view.
    >
    > Is anyone aware of a maker of Sbus serial port cards which still has
    > current operating system support? I am aware that Sun dumped Sbus support
    > when they released Solaris 10 so whatever is left over in Solaris 9 is
    > probably as good as it gets.

    I used a Sbus serial card from Performance Technologies [www.pt.com] a few
    years ago in a Sparc 5 running Solaris 9. It had no problems that I saw,
    it had the big 8 port cable hanging off the back, not as slick as the
    RJ-45 ports on the Magma but it did work so I thought I'd mention it.

    -Mike

  6. Re: Alternative to Magma Sbus card with broken Solaris 9 driver?

    Craig Ian Dewick wrote:
    > With Mobility Electronics complete stupidity and ineptitude to even reply
    > to my customer support requests in recent months, and the continuing
    > failure of their Solaris 9 Sbus card device driver to work, I've basically
    > had enough of their software not working and have all but dumped any
    > possibility of getting modems to work with the dial-up server machine
    > again. Since changing from a PCI-based to an Sbus-based Sun machine there
    > have been no end of problems trying to get modems and serial devices to
    > work again, even though the setup is the same and apart from device driver
    > and base hardware platform differences nothing else has altered from a
    > config point of view.
    >
    > Is anyone aware of a maker of Sbus serial port cards which still has
    > current operating system support? I am aware that Sun dumped Sbus support
    > when they released Solaris 10 so whatever is left over in Solaris 9 is
    > probably as good as it gets.
    >
    > Failing being able to use a Sun Sbus card to add serial ports, the other
    > option is completely rebuilding the machine with an alternative operating
    > system such as NetBSD which does apparently support the Magma Sbus cards
    > natively.
    >
    > The only other possible solution which is going to be doable at little
    > cost is to get something like a Cisco 2509/2511 or a Lucent Portmaster 2,
    > and use that to manage modems indirectly to the server machine. That's
    > something I would have done in the past when I had more than a handful of
    > modems running full-time with active dial-up connections, but now there is
    > only two modems.
    >
    > If you can think of a solution let me know!

    Chuck a few old Stallion EasyTerm servers onto the thing?

    Mark Addinall.

    > Thanks,
    >
    > Craig.
    >
    > PS. Also posted at "http://www.sunshack.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=62"