Sr. UNIX Administrator (Solaris) - SUN

This is a discussion on Sr. UNIX Administrator (Solaris) - SUN ; VTRAC Consulting Corporation "Solutions for Growth" Please e-mail your resume as Ms-Word attached document with reference to Job order number 11027, in confidence to rodp@vtrac.com call: (416) 366-2600 x 220 POSITION: Sr. UNIX/Team Lead (Sun Solaris Administrator) STATUS: Permanent LOCATION: ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34

  1. Sr. UNIX Administrator (Solaris)

    VTRAC Consulting Corporation
    "Solutions for Growth"

    Please e-mail your resume as Ms-Word attached document with reference to Job
    order number 11027, in confidence to rodp@vtrac.com call: (416) 366-2600 x
    220

    POSITION: Sr. UNIX/Team Lead (Sun Solaris Administrator)

    STATUS: Permanent

    LOCATION: Toronto

    JOB #: 11027

    Responsibilities:

    You are responsible for the transition of the UNIX servers (Sun Solaris) to
    the new Data Warehouse infrastructure. Planning, consulting to, and
    mentoring the team members. Support the existing servers and the transition
    process. Reporting to the Director of Unix Systems.

    Requirements:

    a.. Min. 8 yrs. of exp. as UNIX Solaris admin.
    b.. Extensive exp. in production support, clustering, configuration,
    capacity planning
    c.. Extensive Exp. with Veritas Volume Manager, Veritas Cluster Manager,
    Netback up, EMC, SRDF, SAN, VSS, VMS and Replicator
    d.. Exp. in Shell and Perl scripting
    e.. Sever configuration
    f.. System and network troubleshooting
    g.. Min 4 years of exp. in Sybase or Oracle
    h.. Min 4 years of exp. in large mission-critical 24/7 production support
    environment
    i.. Ability to implement data and disaster recovery systems ensuring
    maximum data protection, monitoring performance of network and database
    j.. Experience in financial industry or brokerage environment is an asset,
    but not a must.
    k.. Strong UNIX admin skills. (Solaris)
    l.. Experience in Server Transition
    m.. Experienced working in production environment with large server farm
    n.. In-depth knowledge of server transition best practices and planning
    o.. Sun Solaris Certification
    Other Skills:

    a.. Understanding the concept of e-trust
    a.. Excellent verbal and written English communication and presentation
    skills
    We thank all the candidates in advance. Only those candidates that are
    selected for interview will be contacted. For other exciting opportunities,
    please visit us at www.vtrac.com.

    Best regards,

    Rod Power, Manager Client Services
    VTRAC Consulting Corporation
    t. (416) 366-2600 ext. 220
    f. (416) 366-5550
    rodp@vtrac.com

    366 Bay Street, Suite 500
    Toronto, ON, M5H 4B2
    Canada
    www.vtrac.com
    Solutions for Growth

    Be realistic:

    Plan for a miracle.

    B.S.R.

    CONFIDENTIAL COMMUNICATION
    This email message and any attachments are intended solely for the use of
    the addressee named above and contains information that is privileged and
    confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, any distribution,
    forwarding, dissemination, or copying is strictly prohibited. If you
    received this email message in error, please notify the sender immediately
    by replying to this email message or by telephone.

  2. Re: Sr. UNIX Administrator (Solaris)

    In article ,
    "VTRAC Consulting" wrote:

    > Best regards,
    >
    > Rod Power, Manager Client Services
    > VTRAC Consulting Corporation
    > t. (416) 366-2600 ext. 220
    > f. (416) 366-5550
    > rodp@vtrac.com
    >
    > 366 Bay Street, Suite 500
    > Toronto, ON, M5H 4B2
    > Canada
    > www.vtrac.com
    > Solutions for Growth
    >
    > Be realistic:
    >
    > Plan for a miracle.
    >
    > B.S.R.
    >

    > CONFIDENTIAL COMMUNICATION
    > This email message and any attachments are intended solely for the use of
    > the addressee named above and contains information that is privileged and
    > confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, any distribution,
    > forwarding, dissemination, or copying is strictly prohibited. If you
    > received this email message in error, please notify the sender immediately
    > by replying to this email message or by telephone.

    Interesting that a clueless head hunter would billboard post a company
    confidential communication to a news group on the internet. Seems he
    needs to find new and exiting opportunities in career placement
    somewhere else...

    [LART'ed to ISP and vtrac's abuse]

  3. Re: Sr. UNIX Administrator (Solaris)

    > Interesting that a clueless head hunter would billboard post a company
    > confidential communication to a news group on the internet. Seems he
    > needs to find new and exiting opportunities in career placement
    > somewhere else...
    >
    > [LART'ed to ISP and vtrac's abuse]

    Almost better is the fact that he asks for a Sr. Unix admin's resume in
    MS word format.

  4. Re: Sr. UNIX Administrator (Solaris)

    Steve Sigman writes:

    >> Interesting that a clueless head hunter would billboard post a company
    >> confidential communication to a news group on the internet. Seems he
    >> needs to find new and exiting opportunities in career placement
    >> somewhere else...
    >>
    >> [LART'ed to ISP and vtrac's abuse]

    > Almost better is the fact that he asks for a Sr. Unix admin's resume in
    > MS word format.

    Well, nowadays you can at least create your resume using vi (or emacs!) and
    just copy it into a star office and that makes them happy ...

    Dragan

    --
    Dragan Cvetkovic,

  5. Re: Sr. UNIX Administrator (Solaris)

    Steve Sigman wrote:

    >>Interesting that a clueless head hunter would billboard post a company
    >>confidential communication to a news group on the internet. Seems he
    >>needs to find new and exiting opportunities in career placement
    >>somewhere else...
    >>
    >>[LART'ed to ISP and vtrac's abuse]
    >>

    >Almost better is the fact that he asks for a Sr. Unix admin's resume in
    >MS word format.

    MS Word is the standard format requested by recruiters! It's all they
    know! It's also how they send a resume to HR. The hiring manager may
    not know anything else either. Get used to it!

    Nobody is particularly interested in a paper copy of your resume any
    more. You e-mail your resume in Word format and the recipient makes any
    paper copies he needs.

  6. Re: Sr. UNIX Administrator (Solaris)

    On Wed, 25 Jan 2006, Richard B. Gilbert wrote:

    > MS Word is the standard format requested by recruiters! It's all they know!

    No necessarily. I've sent them PDFs before now. If I was more
    adventurous, I send 'em StarOffice files, but I think they're not
    sufficiently savvy enough for that yet.

    > It's also how they send a resume to HR. The hiring manager may not know
    > anything else either. Get used to it!

    If we all did that, M$ would forever reign. :-(

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

  7. Re: Sr. UNIX Administrator (Solaris)

    In "Richard B. Gilbert" writes:

    >MS Word is the standard format requested by recruiters! It's all they
    >know! It's also how they send a resume to HR. The hiring manager may
    >not know anything else either. Get used to it!

    http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html is a good place to
    start.

    --
    \|/ ___ \|/ thevision@pobox.com +----- 2048R/38BD6CAB -----+
    @~./'O o`\.~@ | 02BD EF81 91B3 1B33 64C2 |

  8. Re: Sr. UNIX Administrator (Solaris)

    Rich Teer wrote:
    > On Wed, 25 Jan 2006, Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
    >

    >>MS Word is the standard format requested by recruiters! It's all they know!

    > No necessarily. I've sent them PDFs before now. If I was more
    > adventurous, I send 'em StarOffice files, but I think they're not
    > sufficiently savvy enough for that yet.

    Some agencies like to remove your name/address from the CV, so the
    company can't approach you directly.

    >>It's also how they send a resume to HR. The hiring manager may not know
    >>anything else either. Get used to it!

    > If we all did that, M$ would forever reign. :-(

    As much as I hate M$, when you are looking for a job, it is not the time
    to object to peoples desire for MS format files.

    I always create them in StarOffice and save in Word format, although I
    would be reluctant to do that on very complex documents.

    --
    Dave K

  9. Re: Sr. UNIX Administrator (Solaris)

    Rich Teer wrote:
    > On Wed, 25 Jan 2006, Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
    >
    > > MS Word is the standard format requested by recruiters! It's all they know!

    Personally, I would never apply for a job at a company where
    a resume submitted in text format or PDF is not good enough.

    > No necessarily. I've sent them PDFs before now. If I was more
    > adventurous, I send 'em StarOffice files, but I think they're not
    > sufficiently savvy enough for that yet.

    Staroffice has an option for exporting to M$ Word format,
    which works OK for not too complicated documents.
    Had to use that feature in Staroffice to submit presentation
    slides for a conference, which required M$ powerpoint
    format not long ago.
    Personally I use Framemaker on Sparcs as my normal writing platform.
    Unfortunaelty, we will probably never see Framemaker on
    Solaris x86. Adobe canceled it for Mac OS X not long ago.

  10. Re: Sr. UNIX Administrator (Solaris)

    Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
    > Steve Sigman wrote:
    >>
    >> Almost better is the fact that he asks for a Sr. Unix admin's resume in
    >> MS word format.
    >>

    > MS Word is the standard format requested by recruiters! It's all they
    > know! It's also how they send a resume to HR. The hiring manager may
    > not know anything else either. Get used to it!
    >
    > Nobody is particularly interested in a paper copy of your resume any
    > more. You e-mail your resume in Word format and the recipient makes any
    > paper copies he needs.

    Ask yourself, do you really want to work at a shop where
    people are clueless enough not to be able to deal with
    PDFs? If the answer is no, (pdf)LaTeX is your friend.

    On the other hand it's always big time for laughts when
    you're on the resume evaluating end of things. There's
    really a lot to learn about a person if you're willing
    to dig through the history of a M$ Word document ;-)

    Regards,

    Frank

  11. Re: Sr. UNIX Administrator (Solaris)

    Richard B. Gilbert wrote:

    >> Almost better is the fact that he asks for a Sr. Unix admin's resume in
    >> MS word format.
    >>

    > MS Word is the standard format requested by recruiters! It's all they
    > know! It's also how they send a resume to HR. The hiring manager may
    > not know anything else either. Get used to it!
    >
    > Nobody is particularly interested in a paper copy of your resume any
    > more. You e-mail your resume in Word format and the recipient makes any
    > paper copies he needs.

    No way!
    Do you know the real reason why head hunters ask for CVs in MS Word
    format? It's because they want to edit the CV and put their junk in
    front of it, and otherwise strip the candidate's name, addr, and so on.

    I don't *EVER* send them my CV in any editable format. The only thing
    they get is PDF. There is kicking and screaming and gnashing of teeth,
    but that's the way it is.

    Most head hunters are slowly starting to get used to it. Some will even
    ask for a CV in PDF.

  12. Re: Sr. UNIX Administrator (Solaris)

    Greg Mortensen wrote:

    > http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html is a good place to
    > start.

    Please. Between M$ bull**** and GNU rubbish, I don't know which one is
    worse.

  13. Re: Sr. UNIX Administrator (Solaris)

    In <43d8aee9$0$1160$5402220f@news.sunrise.ch> UX-admin writes:

    >Please. Between M$ bull**** and GNU rubbish, I don't know which one is
    >worse.

    - "You can't be sure what they will look like if someone views them
    with a different version of Word; they may not work at all."

    This is a valid point.

    - "Receiving Word attachments is bad for you because they can carry
    viruses (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macro_virus)."

    Also valid.

    - "Sending Word attachments is bad for you, because a Word document
    normally includes hidden information about the author, enabling those in
    the know to pry into the author's activities (maybe yours). Text that you
    think you deleted may still be embarrassingly present. See
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3154479.stm for more info."

    Also valid.

    Regards,
    Greg

    --
    \|/ ___ \|/ thevision@pobox.com +----- 2048R/38BD6CAB -----+
    @~./'O o`\.~@ | 02BD EF81 91B3 1B33 64C2 |
    /__( \___/ )__\ | 3247 6722 7006 38BD 6CAB |
    `\__`U_/' +--------------------------+

  14. Re: Sr. UNIX Administrator (Solaris)

    In article ,
    Greg Mortensen writes:
    > In <43d8aee9$0$1160$5402220f@news.sunrise.ch> UX-admin writes:
    >
    >>Please. Between M$ bull**** and GNU rubbish, I don't know which one is
    >>worse.

    > - "You can't be sure what they will look like if someone views them
    > with a different version of Word; they may not work at all."
    >
    > This is a valid point.

    You should not be trying to use fluff to embelish your resume, It
    should be kept in as simple a format as possible. Unless your applying
    for job that requires artistic Word document generation. :-)

    > - "Receiving Word attachments is bad for you because they can carry
    > viruses (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macro_virus)."
    >
    > Also valid.

    Macros should be turned off in all Microsoft products until such
    time as you need them and trust the writer of the Macro.

    > - "Sending Word attachments is bad for you, because a Word document
    > normally includes hidden information about the author, enabling those in
    > the know to pry into the author's activities (maybe yours). Text that you
    > think you deleted may still be embarrassingly present. See
    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3154479.stm for more info."
    >
    > Also valid.

    Only if your an idiot. It is a simple matter to ensure that no
    previously deleted information is still contained in an outgoing
    document. As for the personal data, the only thing there is what
    you put in. If you are so paranoid that you choose not to provide
    this information to a prospective employer, then don't put it in.
    Of course, don't be surprised if the potential employer decides
    your not the right candidate for the job.

    The same is, of course, true if you choose to send your resume in
    some other format. PDF's are just as changeable as Word Documents.
    So is a hard copy. If you don't trust the person your sending your
    resume to, then why are you sending it? And, if you don't send it
    in a format they are expecting or are comfortable dealing with, don't
    expect it to result in any job offers. Like it or not, Word is pretty
    much the de facto standard today.

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  15. Re: Sr. UNIX Administrator (Solaris)

    In article ,
    Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
    >Steve Sigman wrote:
    >
    >>>Interesting that a clueless head hunter would billboard post a company
    >>>confidential communication to a news group on the internet. Seems he
    >>>needs to find new and exiting opportunities in career placement
    >>>somewhere else...
    >>>
    >>>[LART'ed to ISP and vtrac's abuse]

    >>Almost better is the fact that he asks for a Sr. Unix admin's resume in
    >>MS word format.
    >>

    >MS Word is the standard format requested by recruiters! It's all they
    >know! It's also how they send a resume to HR. The hiring manager may
    >not know anything else either. Get used to it!

    The point was that a Sr. Unix admin's resume is probably in TROFF
    format.

    --Ken "-mm format" Dye

    --
    Ken R. Dye '67 Bonneville ragtop "Juan": suncar
    Chicago, Illinois '01 Z28 ragtop "???": funcar

  16. Re: Sr. UNIX Administrator (Solaris)

    Dragan Cvetkovic wrote:
    > Steve Sigman writes:

    >> Almost better is the fact that he asks for a Sr. Unix admin's resume in
    >> MS word format.

    > Well, nowadays you can at least create your resume using vi (or emacs!) and
    > just copy it into a star office and that makes them happy ...

    There's an easier way. Fire up vi and create an HTML resume. Test
    it with your web browser to see if it looks good.

    Then rename my-resume.html to my-resume.doc, and send that to the
    recruiter. Their computer will see the ".doc" extension and tell
    Microsoft Word to open it. Microsoft Word will detect the HTML
    inside the file and import it. The recruiter gets what they want,
    and you don't have to have to feel bad about supporting thing in a
    proprietary file format, because you didn't.

    - Logan

  17. Re: Sr. UNIX Administrator (Solaris)

    dye wrote:

    >In article ,
    >Richard B. Gilbert wrote:

    >>>Almost better is the fact that he asks for a Sr. Unix admin's resume in
    >>>MS word format.
    >>>

    >>MS Word is the standard format requested by recruiters! It's all they
    >>know! It's also how they send a resume to HR. The hiring manager may
    >>not know anything else either. Get used to it!
    >>

    >The point was that a Sr. Unix admin's resume is probably in TROFF
    >format.
    >
    >--Ken "-mm format" Dye

    The point is that head hunters use, and expect, MS Word. They wouldn't
    have a clue what to do with a troff document. If you really want a job,
    you try to cater to their little eccentricities!! Or you could, if you
    wanted to risk having your resume arrive several days after all the
    other applicants (or never), snail-mail a paper copy.

    If you were sending your resume to another Sr. Unix admin, a troff file
    might be appropriate.

  18. Re: Sr. UNIX Administrator (Solaris)

    In comp.unix.solaris Greg Mortensen wrote:

    >>MS Word is the standard format requested by recruiters! It's all they
    >>know! It's also how they send a resume to HR. The hiring manager may
    >>not know anything else either. Get used to it!

    > http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html is a good place to
    > start.

    I have more or less put up with receiving Word attachments. catdoc
    does a pretty good job of decoding them into plain text (and they
    seldom contain anything useful besides plain text).

    $ grep catdoc ~/.mailcap
    application/msword; catdoc %s ; copiousoutput
    application/rtf; catdoc %s ; copiousoutput
    text/rtf; catdoc %s ; copiousoutput

    --
    Victor Sudakov, VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
    2:5005/49@fidonet http://vas.tomsk.ru/

  19. Re: Sr. UNIX Administrator (Solaris)

    Logan;

    Beautiful! Now say it like Jack Nickolson in 'Five Easy Peices".

    "I'd like an omelet, plain, and a chicken salad sandwich on wheat
    toast, no mayonnaise, no butter, no lettuce. And a cup of coffee.
    Now all you have to do is hold the chicken, bring me the toast, give me
    a check for the chicken salad sandwich, and you haven't broken any
    rules."

  20. Re: Sr. UNIX Administrator (Solaris)

    KarlD wrote:

    > Personally, I would never apply for a job at a company where
    > a resume submitted in text format or PDF is not good enough.

    How about somewhere which has an online application form in Word format?

    I'm about to apply for a post. This is not for a Senior UNIX
    administrator, but it is for a UNIX post.

    The application form is in Word format and I need to edit it to add my
    own details. StarOffice 7 manages to load the file and I can edit it,
    but I have already hit two problems, despite only filling in half the
    first page.

    1) They want my name in 3 places (forename, middle name, and surname).
    One of them comes out red, although I have not set the colour.

    2) My address is partially cut off, since the bottom of the letters runs
    into a horizontal line.

    They will not accept paper copies. So really the only 7 options open to
    me with the most sensible being one that involves the use of Word.

    1) Don't apply - not particularly attractive as I am currently not
    working. (Anyone got a UNIX post going in/around London - I find
    agencies next to useless.)

    2) Try and fix the problems wtih the application form in StarOffice 7,
    then save to PDF.

    3) Download StarOffice 8 and see if that is any better than 7.

    4) Fill in with Word and submit it in Word.

    5) Fill in in Word and convert to PDF before submitting.

    6) Fill in in Word and Submit in some other format (HTML for example)

    7) Endless number of silly methods, which are not really sensible at all.

    I'll try option Option 3 but assuming that does not work, option 4 seems
    the next best to me. That *needs* Word to be used.

    I always try to use the best tool available to do any job. In this case,
    I expect Word will be the best tool.
    --
    Dave K

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast