Sr. UNIX Administrator (Solaris) - SUN

This is a discussion on Sr. UNIX Administrator (Solaris) - SUN ; Victor Sudakov writes: > I have more or less put up with receiving Word attachments. catdoc > does a pretty good job of decoding them into plain text (and they antiword works well too, doing the same thing. tim...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 34 of 34

  1. Re: Sr. UNIX Administrator (Solaris)

    Victor Sudakov writes:

    > I have more or less put up with receiving Word attachments. catdoc
    > does a pretty good job of decoding them into plain text (and they

    antiword works well too, doing the same thing.

    tim

  2. Re: Sr. UNIX Administrator (Solaris)

    Tim wrote:
    > Victor Sudakov writes:
    >

    >>I have more or less put up with receiving Word attachments. catdoc
    >>does a pretty good job of decoding them into plain text (and they

    > antiword works well too, doing the same thing.
    >
    > tim

    Any suggestions for Powerpoint presentations? I'd like some *automated*
    way of extracting the content to text. 'strings' does a rough job that
    is just about usable for the purpose of searching for content in files,
    but it takes ages on large files.

    --
    Dave K

  3. Re: Sr. UNIX Administrator (Solaris)

    In comp.unix.solaris Tim wrote:

    >> I have more or less put up with receiving Word attachments. catdoc
    >> does a pretty good job of decoding them into plain text (and they

    > antiword works well too, doing the same thing.

    Does antiword do RTF documents too? catdoc does, and besides, catdoc
    is good with Cyrillic (both in DOC and RTF documents), which is
    important for me.

    --
    Victor Sudakov, VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
    2:5005/49@fidonet http://vas.tomsk.ru/

  4. Re: Sr. UNIX Administrator (Solaris)

    Victor Sudakov writes:

    > Does antiword do RTF documents too?

    Not as of version 0.33, which is the version I installed via blastwave.
    (which is dated July 2002.)

    There's a version 0.36 dated Oct 2004, but I expect catdoc will always
    have better Cyrillic support, since it's a russian program. Per it's
    home page. I hadn't heard of it before.

    tim

  5. Re: Sr. UNIX Administrator (Solaris)

    Dave (from the UK) wrote:
    > Tim wrote:
    >
    >> Victor Sudakov writes:
    >>

    >>> I have more or less put up with receiving Word attachments. catdoc
    >>> does a pretty good job of decoding them into plain text (and they

    >> antiword works well too, doing the same thing.
    >>
    >> tim

    > Any suggestions for Powerpoint presentations? I'd like some *automated*
    > way of extracting the content to text.

    Get it trawled by a googlebot! Automated, but not instant....

  6. Re: Sr. UNIX Administrator (Solaris)

    Mr R G Shepherd wrote:
    > Dave (from the UK) wrote:
    >
    >> Tim wrote:

    >>> antiword works well too, doing the same thing.
    >>>
    >>> tim

    >> Any suggestions for Powerpoint presentations? I'd like some
    >> *automated* way of extracting the content to text.

    > Get it trawled by a googlebot! Automated, but not instant....

    Unfortunatley, it it not practical in this case, as the data is
    confidential. It is on a web site, but the data and search engine are
    both protected by passwords.

    --
    Dave K

  7. Re: Sr. UNIX Administrator (Solaris)

    On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 14:44:44 +0000, Mr R G Shepherd wrote:

    > Dave (from the UK) wrote:
    >> Tim wrote:

    >>> antiword works well too, doing the same thing.
    >>>
    >>> tim

    >> Any suggestions for Powerpoint presentations? I'd like some *automated*
    >> way of extracting the content to text.

    > Get it trawled by a googlebot! Automated, but not instant....

    [Star|Open]Office actually works, you know ...

    --
    "Other people are not your property."

  8. Re: Sr. UNIX Administrator (Solaris)

    Huge wrote:

    >>>Any suggestions for Powerpoint presentations? I'd like some *automated*
    >>>way of extracting the content to text.

    >>Get it trawled by a googlebot! Automated, but not instant....

    > [Star|Open]Office actually works, you know ...

    But you can't run that in an *automated* way can you, which is what I
    asked for. I want to be able to inded them with a seach engine, so need
    to extra the text.

    i.e. something like

    $ powerpoint2txt somefile.ppp > somefile.txt

    --
    Dave K

  9. Re: Sr. UNIX Administrator (Solaris)

    On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 16:29:25 +0000, Dave (from the UK) wrote:

    >>>Get it trawled by a googlebot! Automated, but not instant....

    >> [Star|Open]Office actually works, you know ...
    >>

    > But you can't run that in an *automated* way can you, which is what I
    > asked for.

    Ahh. 'pologies. I only dropped into the thread halfway through.

    --
    "Other people are not your property."

  10. Re: Sr. UNIX Administrator (Solaris)

    In comp.unix.solaris Tim wrote:

    >> Does antiword do RTF documents too?

    > Not as of version 0.33, which is the version I installed via blastwave.
    > (which is dated July 2002.)
    >
    > There's a version 0.36 dated Oct 2004, but I expect catdoc will always
    > have better Cyrillic support, since it's a russian program. Per it's
    > home page. I hadn't heard of it before.

    Check it out, it is worth while.

    --
    Victor Sudakov, VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
    2:5005/49@fidonet http://vas.tomsk.ru/

  11. Re: Sr. UNIX Administrator (Solaris)

    Dave (from the UK);

    You've been a contributer to many of my posts regarding Unix Admin, and
    very helpful. So let me try and repay; you're looking for a job, right?
    Someone has one and has requested a resume in Word format. They're not
    gonna be dazzled that you've moved heaven and earth to provide them
    with a resume in another format simply because you (and apparently this
    community in general) doesn't like Word. They're more likely to be a
    little miffed if even the slightest problem arises when they try and
    view it in their preferred program (Word).

    While you MIGHT be able to explain to them your reasons for doing so,
    and that you'll bring the same level of "do what's right, not what's
    asked for" thinking to the job, you've got to get the interview first.
    By NOT providing them with what they asked for to get that interview,
    I'll bet you a pint of Guiness you won't get it.

    I may not be in a league with many of the above posters when it comes
    to Systems Administration, but I've been around a while, and I know
    when to stand up and argue for what's right, and when to shut up and
    give the boss what he's asking for. You're looking for a job; the
    latter scenario applies here; give them your resume in Word. Today.
    Before someone else does and the whole argument becomes moot.

    Good luck.

  12. Re: Sr. UNIX Administrator (Solaris)

    Joe D. wrote:
    > Dave (from the UK);
    >
    > You've been a contributer to many of my posts regarding Unix Admin, and
    > very helpful.

    Cheers.

    > So let me try and repay; you're looking for a job, right?

    Yep.

    > Someone has one and has requested a resume in Word format. They're not
    > gonna be dazzled that you've moved heaven and earth to provide them
    > with a resume in another format simply because you (and apparently this
    > community in general) doesn't like Word.

    I agree there - if they have asked for Word format. Give them what they
    ask for.

    > They're more likely to be a
    > little miffed if even the slightest problem arises when they try and
    > view it in their preferred program (Word).

    I'm not going to argue with you - I was making the point that in some
    cases you just have to use Word, like it or not. If they ask for Word,
    then that is one such case.

    But if an application form is available online in Word format, it does
    not mean you have to submit it in Word format, unless asked to do so.

    There is perhaps an argument that if you apply for a UNIX job, you might
    be discriminated against since you have put it in Word format. Will the
    UNIX system admin take a candidate seriously who submits his CV in Word
    format?

    Some application forms have an area marked "For office use only" or
    something like that. In which case its possible the HR department might
    want to edit the document after you submit it, in which case Word is the
    most logical format to submit it in.

    --
    Dave K

  13. Re: Sr. UNIX Administrator (Solaris)

    Dave (from the UK) wrote:

    > Joe D. wrote:
    >
    >> Dave (from the UK);
    >>
    >> You've been a contributer to many of my posts regarding Unix Admin, and
    >> very helpful.

    > Cheers.
    >
    >> So let me try and repay; you're looking for a job, right?

    > But if an application form is available online in Word format, it does
    > not mean you have to submit it in Word format, unless asked to do so.
    >
    > There is perhaps an argument that if you apply for a UNIX job, you
    > might be discriminated against since you have put it in Word format.
    > Will the UNIX system admin take a candidate seriously who submits his
    > CV in Word format?

    If you apply for a Unix job you are probably NOT dealing with Unix
    people until you reach the interview stage. HR may handle the search
    themselves or they may engage a search firm (head hunter) to take care
    of it for them. Neither group is likely to have clue what to do with a
    troff file.. These people specialize in finding people who meet the
    requirements for a job; it makes little or no difference to them whether
    the job is Unix, driving a forklift or vice president (marketing).

    What does matter to them is getting resumes in a form that they can
    handle conveniently. "Handle" may mean anything from printing out a
    hard copy, to storing the text in a searchable database. If they ask
    for Word, they need Word and submitting anything else may result in its
    being routed to the bit bucket!

    Six or seven years ago, everybody was dealing with paper. You generated
    your document with whatever suited you, printed a paper copy and snail
    mailed it or faxed it. Today, everything is electronic. You e-mail
    your cover letter with your resume (Word format please) as an
    attachment. The recruiter, if it meets the needs of his client, will
    call you make sure you are available, perhaps inquire if you can handle
    the commute and then submit your resume to his client. He submits it
    electronically and the client expects to open it with Word. . . .

    There may be rare exceptions but that's today's standard! And, frankly,
    WYSIWYG rules! Neither troff, nor TeX, LaTex or any of the other
    markup languages are likely to become popular no matter how superior
    they are for certain specialized applications.

  14. Re: Sr. UNIX Administrator (Solaris)

    Joe D. wrote:
    > Dave (from the UK);
    >
    > You've been a contributer to many of my posts regarding Unix Admin, and
    > very helpful. So let me try and repay; you're looking for a job, right?
    > Someone has one and has requested a resume in Word format. They're not
    > gonna be dazzled that you've moved heaven and earth to provide them
    > with a resume in another format simply because you (and apparently this
    > community in general) doesn't like Word. They're more likely to be a
    > little miffed if even the slightest problem arises when they try and
    > view it in their preferred program (Word).
    >
    > While you MIGHT be able to explain to them your reasons for doing so,
    > and that you'll bring the same level of "do what's right, not what's
    > asked for" thinking to the job, you've got to get the interview first.
    > By NOT providing them with what they asked for to get that interview,
    > I'll bet you a pint of Guiness you won't get it.
    >
    > I may not be in a league with many of the above posters when it comes
    > to Systems Administration, but I've been around a while, and I know
    > when to stand up and argue for what's right, and when to shut up and
    > give the boss what he's asking for. You're looking for a job; the
    > latter scenario applies here; give them your resume in Word. Today.
    > Before someone else does and the whole argument becomes moot.
    >
    > Good luck.

    Not only that, you may come accross as a rebel/anarchist type; this
    would throw a red flag in many Unix shops. Most people are looking for
    team players and types that can come onboard and hit the ground
    running. I'm not saying your this type, but from my experience, those
    that voice their opinions about operating systems, applications, etc..
    are generally the 'know it all' complexes that noone cares to work
    with. Knowing everything Unix and being a productive, dependable
    employee are 2 different things. Just my experience. Getting a resume
    in a format other than Word or PDF could be taken any number of wrong
    ways. And most importantly, submitting it in another format is
    definitely NOT gonna get you the job by itself so why do it. The only
    format I use other than word is PDF, which is widely available and most
    HR types are familiar with it. I like PDF resumes because this prevents
    head-hunters from adding disgusting header images and other crap to
    your resume w/o your consent.

    Hope this helps.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2