Problem running Firefox 1.5rc3 under Solaris 9 on Sun Ultra 60 - SUN

This is a discussion on Problem running Firefox 1.5rc3 under Solaris 9 on Sun Ultra 60 - SUN ; Hi everyone, I've tried out the newest version of Firefox 1.5 today (release client 3) using the binary package on the Mozilla website that is provided by the Sun Beijing team, and when I tried to run Firefox again after ...

  1. Problem running Firefox 1.5rc3 under Solaris 9 on Sun Ultra 60

    Hi everyone,

    I've tried out the newest version of Firefox 1.5 today (release client 3)
    using the binary package on the Mozilla website that is provided by the
    Sun Beijing team, and when I tried to run Firefox again after extracting
    the files from the tar archive into /usr/local/firefox, it aborted with
    this error message:

    ---- start ----

    ld.so.1: firefox-bin: fatal: relocation error: file
    /var/local/firefox/components/libmozgnome.so: symbol
    __1cUNS_NewGenericModule26FpnMnsModuleInfo_ppnJnsI Module__I_: referenced
    symbol not found

    ---- stop ---

    Does anyone know what this means? I see 'gnome' in the error message so
    I'm guessing that means there is a problem with the GNOME libraries -
    perhaps a side-effect of having many patches in the Solaris 9 recommended
    patch kits from SunSolve fail to install when I've run the 'installpatch'
    script that comes with those patch archives.

    Does that sound plausible? I'll need to go back to an earlier release of
    Firefox to get around this problem but that's no biggy since I tried
    ugrading to Solaris 10 earlier and that gave a serious problem too (which
    I've just posted about into some of the Sun newsgroups)...

    Thanks for any advice you're able to provide with this Firefox problem.

    Regards,

    Craig.

    --
    SUN RIPENED KERNELS - Surplus Sun Microsystems Equipment, Parts + Accessories
    Waterfall, NSW, Australia - Operated by Craig Dewick - Founded in 1996

  2. Re: Problem running Firefox 1.5rc3 under Solaris 9 on Sun Ultra 60

    Marc writes:

    >Kralizec Craig wrote:

    >> ld.so.1: firefox-bin: fatal: relocation error: file
    >> /var/local/firefox/components/libmozgnome.so: symbol
    >> __1cUNS_NewGenericModule26FpnMnsModuleInfo_ppnJnsI Module__I_: referenced
    >> symbol not found

    >This libmozgnome probably comes from an old installation. Please
    >reinstall firefox in a new, clean directory, and then you may look into
    >installing a new version of this extension if you need it.

    Thanks for the feedback Marc. I'll give this a go and see what happens.

    Craig.
    --
    SUN RIPENED KERNELS - Surplus Sun Microsystems Equipment, Parts + Accessories
    Waterfall, NSW, Australia - Operated by Craig Dewick - Founded in 1996
    Main site: www.sunrk.com.au - Ebay Shop: www.ebayshops.com.au/sunripenedkernels
    Ph: +612-9520-2547 - Fax: +612-9520-2557 - Mobile: 04-2163-0547 (int. +614)

+ Reply to Thread