software to support and work with Ipod's in Solaris 9 and/or 10? - SUN

This is a discussion on software to support and work with Ipod's in Solaris 9 and/or 10? - SUN ; Hi everyone, I'm sure this has been asked a gazillion times, but perhaps it hasn't. With Ipod's getting more and more generic in nature thanks in no small part to so many other makers trying to copy the concept, is ...

  1. software to support and work with Ipod's in Solaris 9 and/or 10?

    Hi everyone,

    I'm sure this has been asked a gazillion times, but perhaps it hasn't.
    With Ipod's getting more and more generic in nature thanks in no small
    part to so many other makers trying to copy the concept, is there any
    software support for Ipod's either from Sun or from open-source projects?

    I've resisted getting an Ipod simply because I'm forced to have either a
    Mac or a PC to communicate with them. Itunes is a big waste of time and
    there is nothing in Australia like it, and I'd prefer to put my own music,
    etc. onto an Ipod rather than suck down commercial music files and pay
    through the nose for them.

    If there is support for Ipod's under Solaris, lets talk about it and
    promote it more.

    Craig.

    --
    Post by Craig Dewick (tm). Web --> "http://lios.apana.org.au/~cdewick".
    Email me at "cdewick@poison.lios.apana.org.au". Explore my public-domain Sun

  2. Re: software to support and work with Ipod's in Solaris 9 and/or10?

    Craig Dewick wrote:
    > If there is support for Ipod's under Solaris, lets talk about it and
    > promote it more.

    Here's a list of software that might be helpful when using an iPod
    with a Linux machine:

    http://neuron.com/~jason/ipod.html

    Some of that software could easily be ported to Solaris or may already
    work on Solaris. For instance, GNUpod seems to only need a working
    Perl 5 installation to do its magic. Also, there is gtkpod:

    http://www.gtkpod.org/about.html

    - Logan

  3. Re: software to support and work with Ipod's in Solaris 9 and/or10?

    Craig Dewick wrote on 2005-10-20 05:01:

    > I've resisted getting an Ipod simply because I'm forced to have either a
    > Mac or a PC to communicate with them.

    I don't have an iPod. Instead, I use a regular Creative MuVo TX SE 512MB
    MP3 player together with iPodder Lemon
    (http://ipodder.sourceforge.net/index.php) to get my podcasts.
    Admittedly I use this on a Windows platform, but since iPodder is
    multiplatform and the MP3 player works as just another USB stick, this
    should work nicely on Solaris as well.

    --
    - Erlend Leganger

  4. Re: software to support and work with Ipod's in Solaris 9 and/or 10?

    Erlend Leganger writes:

    >Craig Dewick wrote on 2005-10-20 05:01:

    >> I've resisted getting an Ipod simply because I'm forced to have either a
    >> Mac or a PC to communicate with them.
    >>

    >I don't have an iPod. Instead, I use a regular Creative MuVo TX SE 512MB
    >MP3 player together with iPodder Lemon
    >(http://ipodder.sourceforge.net/index.php) to get my podcasts.
    >Admittedly I use this on a Windows platform, but since iPodder is
    >multiplatform and the MP3 player works as just another USB stick, this
    >should work nicely on Solaris as well.

    Yes that's something worth checking out too - thanks!

    Regards,

    Craig.
    --
    Post by Craig Dewick (tm). Web --> "http://lios.apana.org.au/~cdewick".
    Email me at "cdewick@poison.lios.apana.org.au". Explore my public-domain Sun
    Microsystems technical data archive at "http://www.sunshack.org". Sun Micro
    enthusiasts/users webring at "http://n.webring.com/hub?ring=sunmicrosystemsu".

  5. Re: software to support and work with Ipod's in Solaris 9 and/or 10?

    Logan Shaw writes:

    >Craig Dewick wrote:
    >> If there is support for Ipod's under Solaris, lets talk about it and
    >> promote it more.

    >Here's a list of software that might be helpful when using an iPod
    >with a Linux machine:

    > http://neuron.com/~jason/ipod.html

    >Some of that software could easily be ported to Solaris or may already
    >work on Solaris. For instance, GNUpod seems to only need a working
    >Perl 5 installation to do its magic. Also, there is gtkpod:

    > http://www.gtkpod.org/about.html

    > - Logan

    Thanks very much for the info Logan. I'll check out your suggestions.

    Regards,

    Craig.
    --
    Post by Craig Dewick (tm). Web --> "http://lios.apana.org.au/~cdewick".