two problems with Inn 2.4.x - 'send-uucp' and 'innreport' - info - SUN

This is a discussion on two problems with Inn 2.4.x - 'send-uucp' and 'innreport' - info - SUN ; Hello, For some time I've found that there are two problems with applications that are part of the Inn 2.4.x package.... ---- 1st Problem - the 'send-uucp' script and 'uux' 'send-uucp' has continually been giving 'pipe broken' errors whenever that ...

  1. two problems with Inn 2.4.x - 'send-uucp' and 'innreport' - info

    Hello,

    For some time I've found that there are two problems with applications that
    are part of the Inn 2.4.x package....

    ---- 1st Problem - the 'send-uucp' script and 'uux'

    'send-uucp' has continually been giving 'pipe broken' errors whenever that
    script has run since upgrading from inn 2.2.x to 2.4.x.

    Finally I've fixed up my own system config errors which were preventing the
    daily reports getting emailed properly (!), and now I have discovered that
    the problem is coming about because 'send-uucp' is trying to use options
    which are not supported by the Taylor UUCP 'uux' program:

    Service grade (d) does not exist on this machine. Job not queued.
    Use (uuglist) to find which service grades are available on this machine.
    uux failed ( -1 )

    'send-uucp' is trying to run 'uux' using '- -z -r -gd' as the default flags.
    What I've also realised is that on the machines running Inn, I have Taylor
    UUCP (compiled from source) and Sun's own default UUCP installed. Sun's UUCP
    installs by default unless it's manually unticked when customising a Solaris
    install and the pacakge is actually needed to get the 'uucpd' daemon which
    is used to support incoming UUCP dial-in's. The 'send-uucp' script is not
    making any attempt to use a specific 'uux', and simply runs whichever 'uux'
    program shows up first in the search path.

    I use Taylor UUCP to provide UUCP support to APANA Sydney members wishing to
    use UUCP. With my systems, the search path results for looking up 'uux' are:

    8 news@jedi #----> whereis uux
    uux: /usr/bin/uux /usr/local/bin/uux /usr/local/bin/uux.old

    so 'send-uucp' is running Sun's 'uux' and not the Taylor 'uux' program! 8-)
    That is where the problem is since Taylor UUCP does support the UUCP 'd'
    grade. From 'man -M /usr/local/man uux' (the Taylor UUCP 'uux' man page):

    -g grade, --grade grade
    Set the grade of the file transfer command. Jobs of a
    higher grade are executed first. Grades run 0 ... 9 A
    ... Z a ... z from high to low.

    so the solution to the problem is simply to modify 'send-uucp' to have the
    full path of the Taylor UUCP 'uux' program hard-coded into it instead of
    specifying no particular path and letting the default search path find a
    'uux' program to run!

    Could the people who maintain Inn take note of this and either make it
    possible in future releases to actually specify the path to the UUX program
    in the main Inn configuration files, or put a note into the installation
    docs telling users that they need to ensure the full path to the correct
    'uux' program is configured manually into the 'send-uucp' script before it's
    put to use? That would save this problem from occuring for other people (and
    save a lot of head-scratching while sys admins figure out what's wrong with
    UUCP batching for their users!) 8-)

    ---- 2nd Problem - Innreport

    Fabien Tassin's 'Innreport' Perl script has been a constant bugbear as well
    since upgrading from Inn 2.2.x to 2.4.x, but again it seems the problem is a
    simple config issue which has come about because the Inn developers haven't
    noticed that some of the flags for Innreport have changed. 8-)

    This is what the daily report says when 'scanlogs' tries to run 'innreport':

    WARNING: can't write in "/news/public_html/stats/pics" as required by -g
    switch.
    Option -g removed. Please see the -p switch.

    and checking deeper into 'innreport' (version 3.0.2 is what I've got here),
    shows that the '-g' flag is indeed no longer supported, along with the '-a'
    and '-html' flags:

    if ($HTML) {
    if ($GRAPH) {
    $IMG_dir = "." if defined $IMG_dir && $IMG_dir eq '';
    $IMG_pth .= "/" if $IMG_pth;
    $IMG_pth =~ s|/+|/|g;
    $IMG_dir =~ s|/+|/|g;
    unless (-w $IMG_dir) {
    print "WARNING: can't write in \"$IMG_dir\" as required by -g " .
    "switch.\n Option -g removed. Please see the -p switch.\n\n";
    undef $GRAPH;
    }
    }
    $HTML_dir = "." if defined $HTML_dir && $HTML_dir eq '';
    unless (-w $HTML_dir) {
    print "WARNING: can't write in \"$HTML_dir\" as required by -html " .
    "switch.\n Option -html and -a removed. Please see the " .
    "-d switch.\n\n";
    undef $HTML;
    $ARCHIVE = 0;
    }
    }

    Argh! 8-) So this means that 'scanlogs' needs to be modified to supply the
    right flags to 'innreport' before it will run and do all the work to create
    the HTML-ised web-reports with the fancy news server usage graphs that are
    build with the Perl 'GD' module...

    Is anyone in the Inn development team aware of this problem and changed
    'scanlogs' so that in future releases it will supply the right options to
    'innreport'?

    If these are known problems then where can I find reports about them? If
    they're currently not known about, where is the place to create and file
    reports about them so the development team can make the relevant changes for
    future releases?

    Regards,

    Craig.

  2. Re: two problems with Inn 2.4.x - 'send-uucp' and 'innreport' - info

    FYI, I've also posted the original article in this thread into the
    'Open-Source Software with Sun Systems' forum on my SunShack website. You
    can access the specific forum at:

    http://www.sunshack.org/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=20

    or go to:

    http://www.sunshack.org/phpBB2/index.php

    or:

    http://www.sunshack.org/forums.html

    for a nicer forum index page. 8-)

    Thanks,

    Craig.

    --
    Craig Dewick (craig@poison.lios.apana.org.au). http://lios.apana.org.au/~craig
    APANA Sydney Deputy Regional Co-ordinator. Operator of Jedi (APANA Sydney POP)

  3. Re: two problems with Inn 2.4.x - 'send-uucp' and 'innreport' - info

    In news.software.nntp, Craig Ian Dewick writes:

    > For some time I've found that there are two problems with applications that
    > are part of the Inn 2.4.x package....

    [...]

    > Could the people who maintain Inn take note of this and either make it
    > possible in future releases to actually specify the path to the UUX
    > program in the main Inn configuration files, or put a note into the
    > installation docs telling users that they need to ensure the full path
    > to the correct 'uux' program is configured manually into the 'send-uucp'
    > script before it's put to use? That would save this problem from
    > occuring for other people (and save a lot of head-scratching while sys
    > admins figure out what's wrong with UUCP batching for their users!) 8-)

    configure now checks for uux in the path of the user running configure and
    uses that path, and one can customize the path in innshellvars* like the
    other paths found during configure.

    > ---- 2nd Problem - Innreport

    > Fabien Tassin's 'Innreport' Perl script has been a constant bugbear as
    > well since upgrading from Inn 2.2.x to 2.4.x, but again it seems the
    > problem is a simple config issue which has come about because the Inn
    > developers haven't noticed that some of the flags for Innreport have
    > changed. 8-)

    Well, no, not really.

    > This is what the daily report says when 'scanlogs' tries to run 'innreport':

    > WARNING: can't write in "/news/public_html/stats/pics" as required by -g
    > switch.
    > Option -g removed. Please see the -p switch.

    So, create that directory and make sure that INN can write to it.

    > and checking deeper into 'innreport' (version 3.0.2 is what I've got
    > here), shows that the '-g' flag is indeed no longer supported, along
    > with the '-a' and '-html' flags:

    Er, no, that's not what that code says. That code says that if it can't
    write to the pics directory, it removes the flags and behaves as if you
    didn't pass them.

    --
    Russ Allbery (rra@stanford.edu)

    Please post questions rather than mailing me directly.
    explains why.

+ Reply to Thread