Any users of MATLAB R14? OpenGL problems. - SUN

This is a discussion on Any users of MATLAB R14? OpenGL problems. - SUN ; Hi, I use MATLAB ( www.mathworks.com ) extensively for my work, and have done so for many years. The latest version, R14 (or R14 sp1) is causing me grief when trying to run it under Solaris, but remote display to ...

  1. Any users of MATLAB R14? OpenGL problems.

    Hi,

    I use MATLAB (www.mathworks.com) extensively for my work, and have done
    so for many years. The latest version, R14 (or R14 sp1) is causing me
    grief when trying to run it under Solaris, but remote display to SGI
    machines.

    It works happily enough for most things, but refuses to use the OpenGL
    hardware for graphics rendering.

    >> opengl info

    Attempting to load glren.so
    Error querying Opengl.
    Click href="matlab:helpview(fullfile(docroot,'techdoc','graphi cs_csh','error_pages','opengl_error_unix.html'),'C SHelpWindow')">here
    for more help.
    Warning: OpenGL appears to be installed incorrectly.
    > In opengl at 98

    Error querying Opengl.
    Click href="matlab:helpview(fullfile(docroot,'techdoc','graphi cs_csh','error_pages','opengl_error_unix.html'),'C SHelpWindow')">here
    for more help.

    Now I ask it for a few more details:

    >> s=opengl('data')

    Error querying Opengl.
    Click href="matlab:helpview(fullfile(docroot,'techdoc','graphi cs_csh','error_pages','opengl_error_unix.html'),'C SHelpWindow')">here
    for more help.

    s =

    Version: ''
    Vendor: ''
    Renderer: ''
    MaxTextureSize: 0
    Visual: [1x59 char]
    Software: 0
    Extensions: {0x1 cell}

    >> s.Visual

    ans =

    0x37 (TrueColor, depth 24, RGB mask 0x00ff 0xff00 0xff0000)

    So it is using TrueColor visual 0x37. /usr/openwin/demo/GL/xglinfo
    tells me the following about 0x37:

    TrueColor visual: ID = 0x37 (hex) 55 (decimal), screen = 0, gamma = 2.22
    DOUBLE buffered MONO RGB visual with (Z Stencil Accum)
    GL Sizes: RGBA=(12,12,12,0), Z=24, Stencil=8, Accum=(16,16,16,16)
    number of sample buffers=0, samples per pixel =1
    Core X: depth=24, colormapSize=256 RGB: masks=(0xff,0xff00,0xff0000)
    bits=8

    Looks to me like it can do OpenGL. Further, the
    /usr/openwin/demo/GL/ogl_install_check reports no troubles and works
    fine.

    And, previous versions of MATLAB had no trouble rendering with OpenGL
    from Solaris to display under IRIX.

    Now I have opened bug reports with technical support at The MAthWorks,
    but have had very little help. The only suggestion they have is to use
    Mesa to do software OpenGL rendering.

    I would very much like to hear from others who are using MATLAB under
    Solaris (5.9), especially if you are attempting to use remote display.
    Which platform combinations does this work on, and which platforms does
    it not work on? I have heard of people not getting this to work when
    remote displaying to SGI and to Linux machines. What about remote
    display to Solaris machines?

    I really believe there is a problem with the way in which MATLAB R14 is
    querying the OpenGL hardware, but it is difficult to pin it down without
    more information.

    Any help would be much appreciated.

    By the way, I have asked about this over on comp.soft-sys.matlab, but
    learned nothing new. I thought perhaps I should attempt to tackle it
    from the Solaris side rather than the MATLAB side.

    Regards,

    Tristram
    --
    Dr Tristram J. Scott
    Energy Consultant

  2. Re: Any users of MATLAB R14? OpenGL problems.

    i work at MIT i have the same problem I am working with people from
    MATLAB

    --
    ottomanboy

  3. Re: Any users of MATLAB R14? OpenGL problems.

    ottomanboy wrote:

    > i work at MIT i have the same problem I am working with people from
    > MATLAB

    Hey, it was almost a year ago I posted my question on this topic. Thanks
    for your response. It is nice to know I am not alone.

    As it turns out, MATLAB R14sp3 seems to have resolved the outstanding
    issues I had with OpenGL under Solaris. I recommend you upgrade and see if
    that helps you also.

    Now I just await a 64 bit version (like MATLAB 5.3.1), and a build for
    Solaris 'x86...

    --
    Dr Tristram J. Scott
    Energy Consultant