This is a discussion on SN#12250 Business Aspects of Open Source: OSBC 2004 - SUN ; SYSTEM NEWS FOR SUN USERS Vol 72 Issue 2 2004-02-09 Article 12250 from section "Events" March 16-17, San Francisco, CA Decision-makers associated with businesses leveraging open-source software (OSS) may be interested in attending the Open Source Business Conference (OSBC), which ...
SYSTEM NEWS FOR SUN USERS
Vol 72 Issue 2 2004-02-09 Article 12250 from section "Events"
March 16-17, San Francisco, CA
Decision-makers associated with businesses leveraging open-source
software (OSS) may be interested in attending the Open Source Business
Conference (OSBC), which will be held March 16-17, in San Francisco.
Information will focus on the role and opportunities OSS has in current
and future markets.
Touted as the first forum to examine the possibilities of OSS
capitalization for both startup and established technology vendors,
organizers are targeting hardware and software vendors, venture
capitalists, attorneys for IT vendors or buyers, analysts and strategy
consultants. The conference goal is to address and answer the question
of how to build a business around OSS.
The two-day event will have presentations by the following industry
- John Fowler, vice president and CTO, Software Business, Sun
- Tim O'Reilly, founder and president of O'Reilly & Associates
- Scott Handy, vice president, Worldwide Linux Strategy and Market
- Clayton Christensen, professor, Harvard Business School
- Mark Bregman, executive vice president, Product Operations, VERITAS
- Chris Stone, vice chairman, Novell
- Raymond Lane, General Partner, Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers
- David Ritter, vice president and director, Boston Consulting Group
- Martin Fink, vice president, Linux, HP
- Eben Moglen, general counsel, Free Software Foundation
Specific OSS topics to be addressed include detailed information on
existing best business practices, business models, pragmatic strategies
for OSS investments, open-source licensing issues and the effects the
SCO lawsuit may have.
Details at http://sun.systemnews.com/72/2/ev/index.shtml#12250
Have a custom version of 'System News for Sun Users' delivered to you
via email each week in PDF, text or HTML. Only the sections that you
select will be included in your copy of the news magazine. Subscribe at
(c) 2003 System News, Inc. http://www.systemnews.com