SYSTEM NEWS FOR SUN USERS
Vol 70 Issue 2 2003-12-08 Article 11766 from section "Software"

Price, Cross-platform Support Threaten Microsoft Office Market Segment

The CIOL, a Cyber Times newsletter published in India, recently reported
on the availability in that country of the Sun Microsystems
StarOffice[TM] 7 Office Productivity Suite and the implications of that
development for the market share currently enjoyed by Microsoft Office.

Commenting on the launch, K. Sugumaran, Regional Director, Asia South,
Volume Products, Sun Microsystems said, "With the launch of StarOffice 7
today, we are truly poised to make a huge dent in the office
productivity suite market. We have incorporated several new features
into this suite to further make it attractive to customers worldwide and
we are already seeing a big movement away from proprietary office
productivity suites. India represents a huge opportunity for StarOffice
7 and we fully plan to leverage the great price-performance ratio of
StarOffice 7 to penetrate this market in a big way."

StarOffice 7 not only costs less than Microsoft Office, it also offers
cross-platform support that is not available with the Microsoft product.
Office 2003 runs only on Windows 2000 and Windows XP, whereas StarOffice
7 supports Windows 98, ME, NT, 2000 and XP, as well as Linux and the
Solaris[TM] Operating System (Solaris OS).

Details at http://sun.systemnews.com/70/2/sw/index.shtml#11766

Have a custom version of 'System News for Sun Users' delivered to you
via email each week in PDF, text or HTML. Only the sections that you
select will be included in your copy of the news magazine. Subscribe at
http://sun.systemnews.com/subscribe
(c) 2003 System News, Inc. http://www.systemnews.com