remote printer prints blank pages - SUN

This is a discussion on remote printer prints blank pages - SUN ; there is issue with a remote local printer (USB). it acutally accepts the print command, but print out is blank. This is first time having this issue, here is the setup server is Solaris 9, remote user has a printer ...

  1. remote printer prints blank pages

    there is issue with a remote local printer (USB). it acutally accepts the
    print command, but print out is blank.

    This is first time having this issue, here is the setup

    server is Solaris 9, remote user has a printer installed in their end, they
    VPN in and connect to server through a X-server program, we configured it as
    remote printer by LPR/inet32.
    I have done a lot for remote users, but this is first time.

    It prints fine locally through windows, but once I send job in server side,
    printer grab papers, but didn't print anything.

    Any suggestion?

  2. Re: remote printer prints blank pages

    steeles wrote:
    > there is issue with a remote local printer (USB). it acutally accepts the
    > print command, but print out is blank.
    >
    > This is first time having this issue, here is the setup
    >
    > server is Solaris 9, remote user has a printer installed in their end, they
    > VPN in and connect to server through a X-server program, we configured it as
    > remote printer by LPR/inet32.
    > I have done a lot for remote users, but this is first time.
    >
    > It prints fine locally through windows, but once I send job in server side,
    > printer grab papers, but didn't print anything.
    >
    > Any suggestion?

    Is it a postscript printer? The fact it connects via USB makes me think
    it might well not be postscript

  3. Re: remote printer prints blank pages

    "steeles" writes:

    >server is Solaris 9, remote user has a printer installed in their end, they
    >VPN in and connect to server through a X-server program, we configured it as
    >remote printer by LPR/inet32.
    >I have done a lot for remote users, but this is first time.
    >
    >It prints fine locally through windows, but once I send job in server side,
    >printer grab papers, but didn't print anything.

    What is the configuration of the printer queue on the server side?
    Please run the command "lpstat -lp queue-name" on the server and
    post the output. (replace "queue-name" with the name of the printer
    queue)

    -Greg
    --
    Do NOT reply via e-mail.
    Reply in the newsgroup.

  4. Re: remote printer prints blank pages

    sorry to get you back late folks, it was hard to collect info.

    I configured it as window queue by lpadmin -s

    #lpstat -lp dprint
    printer daver unknown state. enabled since Oct 15 15:12 2007. available.
    Remote Name: dprint
    Remote Server: dprint_ps

    Rank Job Id Username File Size Document
    There are currently 0 jobs enqueued to the print manager

    I can see it send some data to printer, but somehow still blank page.
    I also configured solaris to manage the queue, but still same result..
    stange.

    this is the diagram,

    laptop -> VPN to remote Solaris -> connect to Solaris through x-window
    software -> print to local printer, blank pages..
    this is first time having this problem, the printer is new model of Dell
    A966.

    "Greg Andrews" wrote in message
    > "steeles" writes:
    >>
    >>server is Solaris 9, remote user has a printer installed in their end,
    >>they
    >>VPN in and connect to server through a X-server program, we configured it
    >>as
    >>remote printer by LPR/inet32.
    >>I have done a lot for remote users, but this is first time.
    >>
    >>It prints fine locally through windows, but once I send job in server
    >>side,
    >>printer grab papers, but didn't print anything.
    >>

    > What is the configuration of the printer queue on the server side?
    > Please run the command "lpstat -lp queue-name" on the server and
    > post the output. (replace "queue-name" with the name of the printer
    > queue)
    >
    > -Greg
    > --
    > Do NOT reply via e-mail.