ZFS backup to tape - SUN

This is a discussion on ZFS backup to tape - SUN ; Hi, what is the zfs equivalent of ufsdump and ufsrestore? Are we to use zfs send | tar and then zfs receive? Is there ever to be a direct replacement of the features of ufsdump? In particular, I like the ...

  1. ZFS backup to tape

    Hi,

    what is the zfs equivalent of ufsdump and ufsrestore? Are we to use zfs
    send | tar and then zfs receive?

    Is there ever to be a direct replacement of the features of ufsdump? In
    particular, I like the way I can do incremental backups and interactive
    restores.

    I see with zfs that snapshots are possible, which might be good for
    recovering from accidentally deleting files, but what about a regular dump
    to tape for the purpose of disaster recovery in the event of total disk or
    system failure? My main requirement here is that I can take the set of
    tapes and rebuild the entire system on new hardware. Ideally I would like
    to avoid changing tapes too often, so a daily incremental on top of a
    weekly full dump seems appropriate.

    And, in the event that the above is trivial, is it going to be easy to
    interleave these dumps with ufsdump sessions on a single tape? (The system
    in question has both ufs and zfs file systems, and both are in need of
    regular backup.)

    The file systems in question are not very large (20 - 30 GB, perhaps to
    grow to 50 - 60 GB). The target device is a DAT72 drive, locally attached.
    The server itself is a T1000.

    Any pointers would be greatly appareciated.

    --
    Dr Tristram J. Scott
    Energy Consultant

  2. Re: ZFS backup to tape

    Tristram Scott wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > what is the zfs equivalent of ufsdump and ufsrestore? Are we to use zfs
    > send | tar and then zfs receive?
    >
    > Is there ever to be a direct replacement of the features of ufsdump? In
    > particular, I like the way I can do incremental backups and interactive
    > restores.
    >
    > I see with zfs that snapshots are possible, which might be good for
    > recovering from accidentally deleting files, but what about a regular dump
    > to tape for the purpose of disaster recovery in the event of total disk or
    > system failure? My main requirement here is that I can take the set of
    > tapes and rebuild the entire system on new hardware. Ideally I would like
    > to avoid changing tapes too often, so a daily incremental on top of a
    > weekly full dump seems appropriate.
    >
    > And, in the event that the above is trivial, is it going to be easy to
    > interleave these dumps with ufsdump sessions on a single tape? (The system
    > in question has both ufs and zfs file systems, and both are in need of
    > regular backup.)
    >
    > The file systems in question are not very large (20 - 30 GB, perhaps to
    > grow to 50 - 60 GB). The target device is a DAT72 drive, locally attached.
    > The server itself is a T1000.
    >
    > Any pointers would be greatly appareciated.

    http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/819...7ht6qsc?a=view

  3. Re: ZFS backup to tape

    Thommy M. wrote:
    > Tristram Scott wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> what is the zfs equivalent of ufsdump and ufsrestore? Are we to use zfs
    >> send | tar and then zfs receive?
    >>
    >> Is there ever to be a direct replacement of the features of ufsdump? In
    >> particular, I like the way I can do incremental backups and interactive
    >> restores.

    [snip]

    >> Any pointers would be greatly appareciated.
    >>

    > http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/819...7ht6qsc?a=view

    Thanks Thommy. That is helpful as a confirmation of where I thought the
    current state of this was at.

    Am I the only one who sees the lack of a ufsdump equivalent as a serious
    drawback with using zfs?

    I can see how backups can be achieved with snapshots and with zfs send and
    zfs receive, but this is not at all like the (relative) simplicity which
    ufsdump and its predecessors have offered for years.

    --
    Dr Tristram J. Scott
    Energy Consultant

  4. Re: ZFS backup to tape

    Tristram Scott wrote:
    > Thommy M. wrote:
    >> Tristram Scott wrote:
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> what is the zfs equivalent of ufsdump and ufsrestore? Are we to use zfs
    >>> send | tar and then zfs receive?
    >>>
    >>> Is there ever to be a direct replacement of the features of ufsdump? In
    >>> particular, I like the way I can do incremental backups and interactive
    >>> restores.
    >>>

    > [snip]
    >
    >>> Any pointers would be greatly appareciated.
    >>>

    >> http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/819...7ht6qsc?a=view

    > Thanks Thommy. That is helpful as a confirmation of where I thought the
    > current state of this was at.
    >
    > Am I the only one who sees the lack of a ufsdump equivalent as a serious
    > drawback with using zfs?
    >
    > I can see how backups can be achieved with snapshots and with zfs send and
    > zfs receive, but this is not at all like the (relative) simplicity which
    > ufsdump and its predecessors have offered for years.

    We also have
    http://www.opensolaris.org/os/commun...backupsoftware

  5. Re: ZFS backup to tape

    Thommy M. wrote:

    [snip]

    > We also have
    > http://www.opensolaris.org/os/commun...backupsoftware

    Thanks Thommy. Your pointers have been helpful.

    --
    Dr Tristram J. Scott
    Energy Consultant

+ Reply to Thread