Re: Ubuntu - SUN

This is a discussion on Re: Ubuntu - SUN ; On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 06:50:43 -0500 SunnySideUp wrote: > I noticed that there's an UltraSPARC version of Ubuntu, too. Has > anyone tried that? Hi I have 7.04 running on an Ultra10 as a webserver, no issues. -- Cheers ...

  1. Re: Ubuntu

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    SLED 10.0 x86_64 Kernel 2.6.16.27-0.9-smp

  2. Re: Ubuntu

    This may sound like a dumb question, but could you potentially use the "wine" utility to run Windows programs on the Ultra 10 loaded with Ubuntu?

    How do you like Ubuntu?

  3. Re: Ubuntu

    On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 09:25:34 -0500
    SunnySideUp wrote:

    > This may sound like a dumb question, but could you potentially use
    > the "wine" utility to run Windows programs on the Ultra 10 loaded
    > with Ubuntu?
    >
    > How do you like Ubuntu?

    Hi
    I guess so, I don't run X as only have the bare minimum install to run
    apache, mysql, php, wordpress, nagios and perfparse.

    It's a nice quick install for a server via the serial port. All
    hardware detected. The only issue I had was it installed resolvconf
    program which removed my static resolv.conf. I did try some Maxtor
    200GB drives in it (jumpered to 137GB, but showed as 200GB) in RAID 1,
    that took about 3 hours to sync. I now have an 80GB drive which is more
    than ample for my requirements.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    SLED 10.0 x86_64 Kernel 2.6.16.27-0.9-smp

  4. Re: Ubuntu

    SunnySideUp wrote:
    > This may sound like a dumb question, but could you potentially use the "wine" utility to run Windows programs on the Ultra 10 loaded with Ubuntu?

    The Ultra 10 is SPARC, wine needs x86...

  5. Re: Ubuntu

    On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 09:25:34 -0500,
    SunnySideUp , in
    wrote:

    >+ This may sound like a dumb question, but could you potentially use
    >+ the "wine" utility to run Windows programs on the Ultra 10 loaded with
    >+ Ubuntu?

    No. Please note that "wine is not an emulator", which is what you'd
    need to convince win32 binaries to run on an UltraSPARC cpu.

    isn't looking good, either.

  6. Re: Ubuntu

    oh, ok. I didn't know the extent of "Wine" and whether it was exclusive to an x86/x64 environment. Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread