quick disk wipe - SUN

This is a discussion on quick disk wipe - SUN ; Hi, I'm in need of a method for wiping a disk (can be scsi 9.1 - 146gb) thats internal. I guess there's a trade off between speed and security, anyone got any ideas.. Cheers...

  1. quick disk wipe

    Hi,

    I'm in need of a method for wiping a disk (can be scsi 9.1 - 146gb)
    thats internal. I guess there's a trade off between speed and security,
    anyone got any ideas..

    Cheers

  2. Re: quick disk wipe

    Assuming that you do not want to take the ultimate (MOD) action for
    secret disks i.e. complete destruction, but want to preserve them for
    future use it is indeed a trade off between security and speed.
    You could if security is not that great an issue, use "newfs" thus
    creating a new filesystem. If you need to wipe to JS 440, then this will
    take a great deal of time for disks of that size. I can supply a "C"
    proggy to do this if you have a few days to spare.

    Mail me on dk@corfe-castle.demon.co.uk if interested.

    Les.

    me wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm in need of a method for wiping a disk (can be scsi 9.1 - 146gb)
    > thats internal. I guess there's a trade off between speed and security,
    > anyone got any ideas..
    >
    > Cheers

  3. Re: quick disk wipe

    L$s Hayward wrote:
    > Assuming that you do not want to take the ultimate (MOD) action for
    > secret disks i.e. complete destruction, but want to preserve them for
    > future use it is indeed a trade off between security and speed.
    > You could if security is not that great an issue, use "newfs" thus
    > creating a new filesystem. If you need to wipe to JS 440, then this will
    > take a great deal of time for disks of that size. I can supply a "C"
    > proggy to do this if you have a few days to spare.
    >
    > Mail me on dk@corfe-castle.demon.co.uk if interested.
    >
    > Les.
    >
    > me wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I'm in need of a method for wiping a disk (can be scsi 9.1 - 146gb)
    >> thats internal. I guess there's a trade off between speed and
    >> security, anyone got any ideas..
    >>
    >> Cheers

    Thanks for the offer, I guess making one slice for the whole disk and
    then creating a FS on that slice will do, but will take some time on
    146gb disks.

    Cheers
    Paul

  4. Re: quick disk wipe

    On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 18:18:21 +0100,
    me , in
    wrote:

    >+ I'm in need of a method for wiping a disk (can be scsi 9.1 - 146gb)
    >+ thats internal. I guess there's a trade off between speed and security,
    >+ anyone got any ideas..

    There are multiple approaches. Someone has mentioned "format" and
    "physically destroy the disk" approaches. Personally, I'm more
    inclined to use "dd" or "shred" [1] if I can't boot up Darik's Boot
    and Nuke cd-rom (or floppy, or USB storage device) [2], and [2]
    includes links to additional products that do similiar wiping. A pity
    it boots only intel machines. But you have multiple algorithms to
    choose from [3].

    For work, where I'm required to securely wipe disks before I ship old
    unloved machines off to Surplus, I have an ancient Pentium II with a
    couple of SCSI controllers, so I can pretty much wipe any combination
    of IDE/SCSI drives as long as I can physically remove them from their
    host. Then I can boot from the cd-rom and wack 'em all.

    [1] http://www.gnu.org/software/fileutil...d%20invocation

    [2] http://dban.sourceforge.net/

    [3] http://dban.sourceforge.net/features.html

    isn't looking good, either.

  5. Re: quick disk wipe

    me wrote:
    > L$s Hayward wrote:
    >> Assuming that you do not want to take the ultimate (MOD) action for
    >> secret disks i.e. complete destruction, but want to preserve them for
    >> future use it is indeed a trade off between security and speed.
    >> You could if security is not that great an issue, use "newfs" thus
    >> creating a new filesystem. If you need to wipe to JS 440, then this
    >> will take a great deal of time for disks of that size. I can supply a
    >> "C" proggy to do this if you have a few days to spare.
    >>
    >> Mail me on dk@corfe-castle.demon.co.uk if interested.
    >>
    >> Les.
    >>
    >> me wrote:
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I'm in need of a method for wiping a disk (can be scsi 9.1 - 146gb)
    >>> thats internal. I guess there's a trade off between speed and
    >>> security, anyone got any ideas..
    >>>
    >>> Cheers

    > Thanks for the offer, I guess making one slice for the whole disk and
    > then creating a FS on that slice will do, but will take some time on
    > 146gb disks.

    10 minutes or so... But the format analyze thing is better on destroying
    data. Don't think there are anyone that succeds in reading data back
    after that. Keep in mind tha the data forensics are all used to and have
    tools for FAT/NTFS stuff. Most of them wouldn't have a clue given a
    undestroyed UFS, or even harder ZFS, disk.

  6. Re: quick disk wipe

    "me" wrote in message
    news6mdndnjfaJwoPXbRVnyhAA@pipex.net...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm in need of a method for wiping a disk (can be scsi 9.1 - 146gb)
    > thats internal. I guess there's a trade off between speed and security,
    > anyone got any ideas..
    >
    > Cheers

    format -> analyze -> set

    # passes = 10
    random patterns = yes

    quit -> format

    It won't be fast, but it'll wipe the disk as well as find any bad blocks.
    With > 7 passes of different bit patterns there is little chance any useful
    data will be there.

    Trinean

  7. Re: quick disk wipe

    I R A Darth Aggie wrote:
    > On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 18:18:21 +0100,
    > me , in
    > wrote:

    > For work, where I'm required to securely wipe disks before I ship old
    > unloved machines off to Surplus, I have an ancient Pentium II with a
    > couple of SCSI controllers, so I can pretty much wipe any combination
    > of IDE/SCSI drives as long as I can physically remove them from their
    > host. Then I can boot from the cd-rom and wack 'em all.

    Good man. I bought a s/hand disk on Ebay once and just out of interest
    tried to mount it up. To my surprise it was completely untouched and
    contained users personal emails, credit card info, share dealing info
    and a complete operating system! Being a good bloke, I informed the
    sysadmin whose address was on the disk. I understand that heads were
    about to roll...

    Les.

  8. Re: quick disk wipe

    L$s Hayward wrote:

    > I R A Darth Aggie wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 18:18:21 +0100,
    >> me , in
    >> wrote:

    >> For work, where I'm required to securely wipe disks before I ship old
    >> unloved machines off to Surplus, I have an ancient Pentium II with a
    >> couple of SCSI controllers, so I can pretty much wipe any combination
    >> of IDE/SCSI drives as long as I can physically remove them from their
    >> host. Then I can boot from the cd-rom and wack 'em all.

    > Good man. I bought a s/hand disk on Ebay once and just out of interest
    > tried to mount it up. To my surprise it was completely untouched and
    > contained users personal emails, credit card info, share dealing info
    > and a complete operating system! Being a good bloke, I informed the
    > sysadmin whose address was on the disk. I understand that heads were
    > about to roll...
    >
    > Les.

    The problem is universal! I bought a used DEC Alphastation 600. It
    arrived with an O/S installed, Licenses for the VMS operating system, C
    compiler and other stuff plus the file they used to subvert license
    checking! It was formerly the property of a well known aircraft company
    working out of Seattle!

    I sometimes pick up PCs left at curbside if they're not hopelessly old
    and salvage the disk drives. I've got a collection of disks with
    licensed copies of software. . . .

+ Reply to Thread