DNS and NIS help - SUN

This is a discussion on DNS and NIS help - SUN ; Hey experts, I am on my way to implement NIS. Here are some of the details that I have from the servers. # ping www.yahoo.com www.yahoo.com is alive # ping gasbh001 gasbh001 is alive # domainname ganis # cp -p ...

  1. DNS and NIS help

    Hey experts,

    I am on my way to implement NIS. Here are some of the details that I
    have from the servers.
    # ping www.yahoo.com
    www.yahoo.com is alive
    # ping gasbh001
    gasbh001 is alive
    # domainname ganis
    # cp -p /etc/nsswitch.conf /etc/nsswitch.conf.6707
    # cp /etc/nsswitch.nis /etc/nsswitch.conf
    # ping www.yahoo.com
    ping: unknown host www.yahoo.com
    # ping xxxxx001
    ping: unknown host xxxxx001
    # ping xxxxx001
    xxxxx001 is alive
    # ping 10.xxx.xxx.111
    10.xxx.xxx.111 is alive

    You can clearly see that as soon as I chnged the /etc/nsswitch.conf
    file the server can no longer resolve any web addresses. However it
    can resolve only the servers defined in the etc/hosts file by name
    everybody else needs the IP address.
    Just to let you experts know the DNS is maintained by a windows
    servers and I have them defined in the /etc/resolv.conf and /etc/
    defaultdomain file. The environemt is Solaris 10 and the server are
    v490.

  2. Re: DNS and NIS help

    On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 08:29:53 -0700,
    learner , in
    <1181230193.631594.325890@p77g2000hsh.googlegroups. com> wrote:

    >+ I am on my way to implement NIS. Here are some of the details that I
    >+ have from the servers.
    >+ # ping www.yahoo.com
    >+ www.yahoo.com is alive

    >+ You can clearly see that as soon as I chnged the /etc/nsswitch.conf
    >+ file the server can no longer resolve any web addresses. However it
    >+ can resolve only the servers defined in the etc/hosts file by name
    >+ everybody else needs the IP address.

    What does your /etc/nsswitch.conf look like? does it contain a line
    like this:

    hosts: files dns

    isn't looking good, either.

  3. Re: DNS and NIS help

    No it does not.
    I chked the old file and it did contain the line you mentioned.
    But after I changed the nsswitch.dns file in nsswitch.conf it is not
    there.
    Let me know if you need some more info

  4. Re: DNS and NIS help

    learner wrote:
    > Hey experts,
    >
    > I am on my way to implement NIS. Here are some of the details that I
    > have from the servers.
    > # ping www.yahoo.com
    > www.yahoo.com is alive
    > # ping gasbh001
    > gasbh001 is alive
    > # domainname ganis
    > # cp -p /etc/nsswitch.conf /etc/nsswitch.conf.6707
    > # cp /etc/nsswitch.nis /etc/nsswitch.conf
    > # ping www.yahoo.com
    > ping: unknown host www.yahoo.com
    > # ping xxxxx001
    > ping: unknown host xxxxx001
    > # ping xxxxx001
    > xxxxx001 is alive
    > # ping 10.xxx.xxx.111
    > 10.xxx.xxx.111 is alive
    >
    > You can clearly see that as soon as I chnged the /etc/nsswitch.conf
    > file the server can no longer resolve any web addresses. However it
    > can resolve only the servers defined in the etc/hosts file by name
    > everybody else needs the IP address.
    > Just to let you experts know the DNS is maintained by a windows
    > servers and I have them defined in the /etc/resolv.conf and /etc/
    > defaultdomain file. The environemt is Solaris 10 and the server are
    > v490.

    Then why did you change your /etc/nsswitch.conf? If you want DNS
    service you have to specify:
    hosts ....,dns,....

    You can make that "dns,files", "files,dns" or whatever flavor suits you
    but dns has to be in there somewhere!

    I've read somewhere that NIS is supposed to use DNS for name resolution
    but I've never seen it work that way unless "dns" is specified somewhere
    in the hosts line in nsswitch.conf. It may, indeed work that way but
    what I have works and I don't feel any need to change it!

  5. Re: DNS and NIS help

    learner writes:
    >I am on my way to implement NIS. Here are some of the details that I
    >have from the servers.

    >You can clearly see that as soon as I chnged the /etc/nsswitch.conf
    >file the server can no longer resolve any web addresses.

    Most people don't bother to run NIS for DNS lookup any longer. That
    was something from the SunOS v4.x(v3.x?) days. Yes, the sample config files
    that Sun ships still have this as the default option, more from
    tradition than anything.

    In order to change this to do it that way, you first have to be setup
    fully on NIS, and you have to make sure your NIS server is setup to do
    NIS to DNS queries.

    Either way, its not important that your DNS lookups go through the NIS
    server unless you are doing some funky stuff. The world has pretty
    much gone for just DNS for nameservice. In the olden days, this wasn't
    always necessarily the case.

    Sounds like you aren't up on NIS yet, this is something you'd do after
    NIS was working.

  6. Re: DNS and NIS help

    On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 09:23:22 -0700,
    learner , in
    <1181233402.901429.110830@p47g2000hsd.googlegroups. com> wrote:
    >+ No it does not.
    >+ I chked the old file and it did contain the line you mentioned.
    >+ But after I changed the nsswitch.dns file in nsswitch.conf it is not
    >+ there.

    Well, then add it, and see if that helps?

    isn't looking good, either.

  7. Re: DNS and NIS help

    In article ,
    I R A Darth Aggie wrote:
    >On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 08:29:53 -0700,
    >learner , in
    ><1181230193.631594.325890@p77g2000hsh.googlegroups. com> wrote:
    >
    >>+ I am on my way to implement NIS. Here are some of the details that I
    >>+ have from the servers.
    >>+ # ping www.yahoo.com
    >>+ www.yahoo.com is alive

    >>+ You can clearly see that as soon as I chnged the /etc/nsswitch.conf
    >>+ file the server can no longer resolve any web addresses. However it
    >>+ can resolve only the servers defined in the etc/hosts file by name
    >>+ everybody else needs the IP address.

    >What does your /etc/nsswitch.conf look like? does it contain a line
    >like this:
    >
    >hosts: files dns

    More realistically, he'd probably want something like

    hosts: files nis dns

    That way, he'll still consult the nis hosts tables (for local IP lookup)
    and DNS for non local IP lookup.

    -tom

    --

    "You can only be -so- accurate with a claw-hammer." --me

  8. Re: DNS and NIS help

    Hey folks,

    I fixed the resolving issues but I am not sure if it is working or
    not.
    I tried ypwhich and it says
    damainname not bound on xxxxxxx.xxxxx.com.
    Can any one help me in fixing this issues.
    Is it a network issue where I have to ask the network admin to open up
    ports for nis services???
    Please help
    thanks

  9. Re: DNS and NIS help

    In article <1181257881.802750.163150@m36g2000hse.googlegroups. com>,
    learner wrote:
    >Hey folks,
    >
    >I fixed the resolving issues but I am not sure if it is working or
    >not.
    >I tried ypwhich and it says
    >damainname not bound on xxxxxxx.xxxxx.com.
    >Can any one help me in fixing this issues.
    >Is it a network issue where I have to ask the network admin to open up
    >ports for nis services???

    Is your NIS system crossing networks? That is, are your NIS clients on
    one IP address range and some or all of your NIS servers on a different
    IP address range?

    -tom
    --

    "You can only be -so- accurate with a claw-hammer." --me

  10. Re: DNS and NIS help

    Hey there,

    Yeah every server is in the same data center and within the same VLAN.
    I can ping the servers from the master server with the hostname and
    with their IP addresses and I can also ping www.yahoo.com and
    everything seems to be alive. The funny part is that the master
    servers by itself is giving the message that
    domainname cannot bind to xxxxxxxx.xxxxxxxx.com.
    I spent a lot of time but it did not got fixed.
    If any one has any know ledge in this error please help.
    thanks

  11. Re: DNS and NIS help

    In article <1181268095.619825.254020@g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.c om>,
    learner wrote:
    >Hey there,
    >
    >Yeah every server is in the same data center and within the same VLAN.

    If all the hosts are in the same logical network (i.e., there's no
    routing involved) and assuming your VLANs are configured to pass ALL
    traffic, then there should be no need to speak to your network staff
    about opening ports.

    >I can ping the servers from the master server with the hostname and
    >with their IP addresses and I can also ping www.yahoo.com and
    >everything seems to be alive. The funny part is that the master
    >servers by itself is giving the message that
    >domainname cannot bind to xxxxxxxx.xxxxxxxx.com.

    Sorry, never run into that error. For better or worse, It's been
    about a decade since I've done NIS. Everythings's been either Kerberos
    or LDAP in the intervening period.

    -tom
    --

    "You can only be -so- accurate with a claw-hammer." --me

+ Reply to Thread