archive on multiple volumes - SUN

This is a discussion on archive on multiple volumes - SUN ; Hi There I am running solaris8 and wan to archive on the multiple volumes on the tape. the filesystem which i am taking for back up is 15gb and and the media is 24gb compresssed dds3 tape.however when i do ...

  1. archive on multiple volumes

    Hi There

    I am running solaris8 and wan to archive on the multiple volumes on
    the tape.
    the filesystem which i am taking for back up is 15gb and and the media
    is 24gb compresssed dds3 tape.however when i do
    tar -cvf /dev/rmt/0cn /files

    after some time i get an error
    tar write error: unexpected EOF

    now i want to try how can i enable the multiple voulmes to take backup
    on the maultiple tapes. i tried --multi-volume or -M switch with tar
    but that is I think suported on gnu tar.
    I suppose -F switch can be used ?s

    any help would be really appreciated.

    THanks
    Byee

  2. Re: archive on multiple volumes

    On 6 juin, 11:56, "pr@deep" wrote:
    > Hi There
    >
    > I am running solaris8 and wan to archive on the multiple volumes on
    > the tape.
    > the filesystem which i am taking for back up is 15gb and and the media
    > is 24gb compresssed dds3 tape.however when i do
    > tar -cvf /dev/rmt/0cn /files
    >
    > after some time i get an error
    > tar write error: unexpected EOF
    >
    > now i want to try how can i enable the multiple voulmes to take backup
    > on the maultiple tapes. i tried --multi-volume or -M switch with tar
    > but that is I think suported on gnu tar.
    > I suppose -F switch can be used ?s
    >
    > any help would be really appreciated.
    >
    > THanks
    > Byee

    As far as I remember gnuTar has an option for that.
    Zoot

+ Reply to Thread