Solaris 9: keep printing UNIX printer queue too small?? - SUN

This is a discussion on Solaris 9: keep printing UNIX printer queue too small?? - SUN ; Hi, I am having a problem for a printer, it keeps printing a job ( 150 pages), it already prints 5 copies. Have to manually cancel the job. I know sometieme unix queue can't handling too big job, but for ...

  1. Solaris 9: keep printing UNIX printer queue too small??

    Hi,

    I am having a problem for a printer, it keeps printing a job ( 150 pages),
    it already prints 5 copies.
    Have to manually cancel the job.

    I know sometieme unix queue can't handling too big job, but for 150 pages,
    it should be able to handle.

    It prints repeatedly, any advise?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Solaris 9: keep printing UNIX printer queue too small??

    "steeles" writes:

    >I am having a problem for a printer, it keeps printing a job ( 150 pages),
    >it already prints 5 copies.
    >Have to manually cancel the job.
    >
    >I know sometieme unix queue can't handling too big job, but for 150 pages,
    >it should be able to handle.
    >
    >It prints repeatedly, any advise?

    Without knowing anything about the printer (manufacturer? model?),
    how the computer feeds data to the printer (printer is connected to
    computer's parallel port? printer is connected to the network?),
    or how the Solaris print software is configured to handle the printer
    (output of "lpstat -lp printer-name"), there really isn't much advice
    anyone can give you.

    My guess would be the Solaris print software is configured to treat
    the printer as a remote printer rather than as a network-attached
    printer.

    -Greg
    --
    Do NOT reply via e-mail.
    Reply in the newsgroup.

  3. Re: Solaris 9: keep printing UNIX printer queue too small??

    steeles wrote:
    > I am having a problem for a printer, it keeps printing a job ( 150 pages),
    > it already prints 5 copies.

    check for errors in /var/lp/logs/*

    I've seen similar problems with some HPs that break the connection
    with some large/complex jobs, and the system keeps retrying if "Job
    Recovery" and "True end of job" are ON (with HP jetadmin software)

  4. Re: Solaris 9: keep printing UNIX printer queue too small??

    This is HP 4200TN with jetdirect card, I couldn't locate the setting
    you mention, "Job
    Recovery" and "True end of job".

    Here is output of lpstat.

    # lpstat -lp mars

    printer mars unknown state. enabled since Jun 02 10:47 2007.
    available.
    Remote Name: text
    Remote Server: mars_ps
    JetDirect lpd: no jobs queued on the port Auto

    what is different with remote printer and a network-attached printer?
    The printer is a network printer.

    thx.

    On Jun 2, 10:03 am, Oscar del Rio wrote:
    > steeles wrote:
    > > I am having a problem for a printer, it keeps printing a job ( 150 pages),
    > > it already prints 5 copies.

    > check for errors in /var/lp/logs/*
    >
    > I've seen similar problems with some HPs that break the connection
    > with some large/complex jobs, and the system keeps retrying if "Job
    > Recovery" and "True end of job" are ON (with HP jetadmin software)

  5. Re: Solaris 9: keep printing UNIX printer queue too small??

    /var/lp/logs, those files didn't get updated at all.

    # ls -ltr
    total 64
    -rw-r----- 1 lp lp 28765 Mar 24 15:42 lpsched
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2169 Mar 24 15:42 ipp-errors
    -rw-r----- 1 lp lp 0 May 20 03:13 requests.2
    -rw-r----- 1 lp lp 0 May 27 03:13 requests.1
    -rw-rw---- 1 lp lp 0 May 27 03:13 requests

  6. Re: Solaris 9: keep printing UNIX printer queue too small??

    steeles wrote:
    > This is HP 4200TN with jetdirect card, I couldn't locate the setting
    > you mention, "Job
    > Recovery" and "True end of job".

    Are you running the HP Jetadmin software, aka "hppi"?

    # hppi
    Spooler Administration
    Modify spooler queues
    Additional Printer Settings
    1) Job Recovery [ON]
    2) True End-of-Job [ON]

  7. Re: Solaris 9: keep printing UNIX printer queue too small??

    Oscar del Rio wrote:
    > steeles wrote:
    >> This is HP 4200TN with jetdirect card, I couldn't locate the setting
    >> you mention, "Job
    >> Recovery" and "True end of job".

    > Are you running the HP Jetadmin software, aka "hppi"?

    Actually, JetAdmin is the old name, it's now called HP JetDirect Printer
    Installer for UNIX (hppi) still available at hp.com

  8. Re: Solaris 9: keep printing UNIX printer queue too small??

    Thanks Oscar.

    The way that problem printer has been setp as a network-attached
    printer, so I can't setup those two setting, as when I do "modify
    spooler queue", that printer isn't on the list.

    # lpstat -lp mars

    printer mars unknown state. enabled since Jun 02 10:47 2007.
    available.
    Remote Name: text
    Remote Server: mars_ps
    JetDirect lpd: no jobs queued on the port Auto

  9. Re: Solaris 9: keep printing UNIX printer queue too small??

    steeles writes:
    >Thanks Oscar.
    >
    >The way that problem printer has been setp as a network-attached
    >printer, so I can't setup those two setting, as when I do "modify
    >spooler queue", that printer isn't on the list.
    >
    ># lpstat -lp mars
    >

    >printer mars unknown state. enabled since Jun 02 10:47 2007.
    >available.
    > Remote Name: text
    > Remote Server: mars_ps
    >JetDirect lpd: no jobs queued on the port Auto

    You have configured the printer as a remote-attached printer rather
    than as a network-attached printer. This is why the print jobs
    repeat when the connection to the printer breaks in the middle of
    delivering the print job to the printer.

    I'll echo the recommendations from other people to get the HP
    software and use it to set up the printer queue. You'll also
    have control over more of the printer's features like double-sided
    printing, landscape orientation, and selecting different paper trays.

    -Greg
    --
    Do NOT reply via e-mail.
    Reply in the newsgroup.

  10. Re: Solaris 9: keep printing UNIX printer queue too small??

    thanks for your help.

    can unix pritner queue handle 1000 pages printing job?
    maybe current my setup is configured it as remote printer, so for
    large job, it will crash in the middle, then start over again and
    again. so we have to re-direct it through windows queue to print.

    So can unix queue handle all size printing job?

  11. Re: Solaris 9: keep printing UNIX printer queue too small??

    steeles writes:
    >thanks for your help.
    >
    >can unix pritner queue handle 1000 pages printing job?
    >maybe current my setup is configured it as remote printer, so for
    >large job, it will crash in the middle, then start over again and
    >again. so we have to re-direct it through windows queue to print.
    >
    >So can unix queue handle all size printing job?

    It certainly can. The configuration you had wasn't a "unix queue".

    -Greg
    --
    Do NOT reply via e-mail.
    Reply in the newsgroup.