PC-Xaware - SUN

This is a discussion on PC-Xaware - SUN ; I am currently using PC-Xaware to connect to Solaris on my Netra, but its an evaluation copy, so I'm looking for a free or cheap replacement. Barry ===== Home page http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og I do not represent atheists or atheism...

  1. PC-Xaware

    =====
    Home page
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og
    I do not represent atheists or atheism

  2. Re: PC-Xaware

    Barry OGrady writes:
    >I am currently using PC-Xaware to connect to Solaris on my Netra,
    >but its an evaluation copy, so I'm looking for a free or cheap
    >replacement.

    Cygwin/X

  3. Re: PC-Xaware

    In article ,
    Barry OGrady wrote:
    >I am currently using PC-Xaware to connect to Solaris on my Netra,
    >but its an evaluation copy, so I'm looking for a free or cheap
    >replacement.

    If you're needing to export graphical components, then Cygwin/X
    (http://x.cygwin.com/) is a pretty good solution. Downside is, depending
    which version you pull down, cut-n-paste functionality may be broken
    (they seem to periodically screw that up).

    If all you need is CLI access, PuTTY is great.

    -tom
    --

    "You can only be -so- accurate with a claw-hammer." --me

  4. Re: PC-Xaware

    On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 18:22:46 -0500, ferric@xanthia.com (Thomas H Jones II) wrote:

    >In article ,
    >Barry OGrady wrote:
    >>I am currently using PC-Xaware to connect to Solaris on my Netra,
    >>but its an evaluation copy, so I'm looking for a free or cheap
    >>replacement.

    >If you're needing to export graphical components, then Cygwin/X
    >(http://x.cygwin.com/) is a pretty good solution. Downside is, depending
    >which version you pull down, cut-n-paste functionality may be broken
    >(they seem to periodically screw that up).
    >
    >If all you need is CLI access, PuTTY is great.

    I get can't open display when I try to run graphical programs.
    I am running it under Windows XP connecting to a SPARC version
    os Solaris 10.

    What am I doin wrong?

    >-tom

    Barry
    =====
    Home page
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og
    I do not represent atheists or atheism

  5. Re: PC-Xaware

    Barry OGrady writes:
    >On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 18:22:46 -0500, ferric@xanthia.com (Thomas H Jones II) wrote:
    >>In article ,
    >>Barry OGrady wrote:
    >>>I am currently using PC-Xaware to connect to Solaris on my Netra,
    >>>but its an evaluation copy, so I'm looking for a free or cheap
    >>>replacement.

    >>If you're needing to export graphical components, then Cygwin/X
    >>(http://x.cygwin.com/) is a pretty good solution. Downside is, depending
    >>which version you pull down, cut-n-paste functionality may be broken
    >>(they seem to periodically screw that up).
    >>
    >>If all you need is CLI access, PuTTY is great.

    >I get can't open display when I try to run graphical programs.
    >I am running it under Windows XP connecting to a SPARC version
    >os Solaris 10.

    >What am I doin wrong?

    CLI == command line interpreter.

    No graphics allowed.

    Cygwin/X has ssh built for it too. ssh -X into your sparc from xterm,
    and you'll be all set.

  6. Re: PC-Xaware

    On 06 Jun 2007 05:26:53 GMT,
    Doug McIntyre , in
    <4666459d$0$56923$892e0abb@auth.newsreader.octanews .com> wrote:

    >+ Cygwin/X has ssh built for it too. ssh -X into your sparc from xterm,
    >+ and you'll be all set.

    Yes, and no. The standard default Cygwin install *doesn't* include
    ssh. You have to specifically include it for installation. As I
    recall, Cygwin puts the openssh package in the "net" subsection.

    Also, there are certain X applications (matlab, fer one), that dies a
    piteous and horrible death when using "ssh -X" with Cygwin/X. The
    recommended solution is "ssh -Y", which enables "trusted X11
    forwarding".

    For the OP, once you've gotten this installed, there are a pair of
    startxwin.(bat|sh) scripts somewhere in the C:\Cygwin\ tree. By
    default, it starts X, and then opens an xterm.

    isn't looking good, either.