Chroot to SunOS - SUN

This is a discussion on Chroot to SunOS - SUN ; Hello, today i get 3 pcs of Sun Ultra 1 station and I wonder how to chroot to the installed system in order to remove admin password. I did on Linux dozens of times times, but since I am new ...

  1. Chroot to SunOS

    Hello,

    today i get 3 pcs of Sun Ultra 1 station and I wonder how to chroot
    to the installed system in order to remove admin password. I did on
    Linux dozens of times times, but since I am new to Solaris ( guess this
    is SunOS 5.7 installed ) i did not succeed.

    Any ideas ?

    Thanks,

    Tomislav

  2. Re: Chroot to SunOS

    Tomislav wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > today i get 3 pcs of Sun Ultra 1 station and I wonder how to chroot
    > to the installed system in order to remove admin password. I did on
    > Linux dozens of times times, but since I am new to Solaris ( guess this
    > is SunOS 5.7 installed ) i did not succeed.
    >

    > Any ideas ?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Tomislav

    here is 3 options, on a local keyboard press +
    ok boot -s from cd, mount hd root, erase password.
    boot net -s from a jumpstart setup server. mount hd root.
    best download solaris9,
    http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/9/index.xml
    burn cd. boot cdrom and install the os.
    /Jorgen

  3. Re: Chroot to SunOS

    Tomislav wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > today i get 3 pcs of Sun Ultra 1 station and I wonder how to chroot
    > to the installed system in order to remove admin password. I did on
    > Linux dozens of times times, but since I am new to Solaris ( guess this
    > is SunOS 5.7 installed ) i did not succeed.
    >

    > Any ideas ?

    Yep, throw them away and buy yourself a decent PC and run Solaris on that.
    The Ultra 1 is, at best, 200MHz and was EOLed in 1998. Do you hear how old that
    sounds?

  4. Re: Chroot to SunOS

    Thommy M. Malmström wrote:
    > Tomislav wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> today i get 3 pcs of Sun Ultra 1 station and I wonder how to chroot
    >> to the installed system in order to remove admin password. I did on
    >> Linux dozens of times times, but since I am new to Solaris ( guess
    >> this is SunOS 5.7 installed ) i did not succeed.
    >>

    >> Any ideas ?

    > Yep, throw them away and buy yourself a decent PC and run Solaris on that.
    > The Ultra 1 is, at best, 200MHz and was EOLed in 1998. Do you hear how
    > old that sounds?

    Sun hardware lasts "forever". We still have some Ultra 1s and Sparc 10/20s
    (circa 1992) running happily in the machine room.

    Recently we moved some services from an old Sparc 10 (that is still working)
    to a D*ll server, "just in case". The D*ll has crashed a few times already
    (suspect hardware). So a 15-year-old Sun turned out to be more reliable than
    a less-than-2-year-old D*ll.

  5. Re: Chroot to SunOS

    Oscar del Rio wrote:
    > Thommy M. Malmström wrote:
    >> Tomislav wrote:
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> today i get 3 pcs of Sun Ultra 1 station and I wonder how to chroot
    >>> to the installed system in order to remove admin password. I did on
    >>> Linux dozens of times times, but since I am new to Solaris ( guess
    >>> this is SunOS 5.7 installed ) i did not succeed.
    >>>

    >>> Any ideas ?

    >> Yep, throw them away and buy yourself a decent PC and run Solaris on
    >> that.
    >> The Ultra 1 is, at best, 200MHz and was EOLed in 1998. Do you hear how
    >> old that sounds?

    > Sun hardware lasts "forever". We still have some Ultra 1s and Sparc 10/20s
    > (circa 1992) running happily in the machine room.
    >
    > Recently we moved some services from an old Sparc 10 (that is still
    > working)
    > to a D*ll server, "just in case". The D*ll has crashed a few times already
    > (suspect hardware). So a 15-year-old Sun turned out to be more reliable
    > than a less-than-2-year-old D*ll.

    I don't argue against that. Notice I wrote "decent PC" like for example
    one from Sun... ;-)

    I can however not see any reason to do _new_ installs on that kind of
    old stuff. Just imagine the lower power costs per useful work done if
    you bring up a couple of zones on a new machine...

  6. Re: Chroot to SunOS

    > here is 3 options, on a local keyboard press +
    > ok boot -s from cd, mount hd root, erase password.
    > boot net -s from a jumpstart setup server. mount hd root.
    > best download solaris9,
    http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/9/index.xml
    > burn cd. boot cdrom and install the os.
    > /Jorgen

    Thank you. I'll try.

    Tomislav

  7. Re: Chroot to SunOS

    > Yep, throw them away and buy yourself a decent PC and run Solaris on that.
    > The Ultra 1 is, at best, 200MHz and was EOLed in 1998. Do you hear how
    > old that sounds?

    Well, I already got one.

    And Solaris 10 running. I need to chroot to old system only to see how
    well configured system works. These machines are BTW, discarded from our
    local Telecom.

    Thanks for the advice.

  8. Re: Chroot to SunOS

    Tomislav wrote:
    > And Solaris 10 running. I need to chroot to old system only to see how
    > well configured system works. These machines are BTW, discarded from our
    > local Telecom.

    and they didn't bother to wipe out the hard disks???

  9. Re: Chroot to SunOS

    > and they didn't bother to wipe out the hard disks???

    Obviously not.

+ Reply to Thread