question for wireless connection on a laptop - SUN

This is a discussion on question for wireless connection on a laptop - SUN ; Hi all, I configured my intel 2200 wireless card on my x 86 solaris. but I can't get brower to connect to internet, it seems to be a dns configuration problem. The laptop has another wired network card, and it ...

  1. question for wireless connection on a laptop

    Hi all,

    I configured my intel 2200 wireless card on my x 86 solaris. but I can't get
    brower to connect to internet, it seems to be a dns configuration problem.

    The laptop has another wired network card, and it has a static ip address,
    and I configured /etc/resolv.conf and nsswitch.conf file, before wireless, I
    am able to use wired network card to connect to internet.

    But for wireless, how do I configure dns to get it work?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: question for wireless connection on a laptop

    steeles wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I configured my intel 2200 wireless card on my x 86 solaris. but I can't get
    > brower to connect to internet, it seems to be a dns configuration problem.
    >
    > The laptop has another wired network card, and it has a static ip address,
    > and I configured /etc/resolv.conf and nsswitch.conf file, before wireless, I
    > am able to use wired network card to connect to internet.
    >
    > But for wireless, how do I configure dns to get it work?
    >
    > Thanks.

    What makes you think DNS is the problem?

    Start at the beginning!
    ping , and
    ping

    using numeric IP addresses. If those work, ping your name servers. If
    that works, try nslookup specifying both the address of the server and
    the address to be looked up.

    If you still can't figure it out, post the results of the above and
    maybe somebody can help.

  3. Re: question for wireless connection on a laptop

    I can ping the numeric ip of router and isp_gateway, but I can't ping
    by name,

    How to config name server? under /etc/resolv.conf, and can it allow
    two entries for name server?

    Right now it has one entry for company's name server..

    Thanks.

    On May 24, 4:08 pm, "Richard B. Gilbert"
    wrote:
    > steeles wrote:
    > > Hi all,

    > > I configured my intel 2200 wireless card on my x 86 solaris. but I can't get
    > > brower to connect to internet, it seems to be a dns configuration problem.

    > > The laptop has another wired network card, and it has a static ip address,
    > > and I configured /etc/resolv.conf and nsswitch.conf file, before wireless, I
    > > am able to use wired network card to connect to internet.

    > > But for wireless, how do I configure dns to get it work?

    > > Thanks.

    > What makes you think DNS is the problem?
    >
    > Start at the beginning!
    > ping , and
    > ping
    >
    > using numeric IP addresses. If those work, ping your name servers. If
    > that works, try nslookup specifying both the address of the server and
    > the address to be looked up.
    >
    > If you still can't figure it out, post the results of the above and
    > maybe somebody can help.

  4. Re: question for wireless connection on a laptop

    steeles wrote:

    > I can ping the numeric ip of router and isp_gateway, but I can't ping
    > by name,
    >
    > How to config name server? under /etc/resolv.conf, and can it allow
    > two entries for name server?
    >
    > Right now it has one entry for company's name server..
    >
    > Thanks.
    >

    > On May 24, 4:08 pm, "Richard B. Gilbert"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>steeles wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi all,

    >>>I configured my intel 2200 wireless card on my x 86 solaris. but I can't get
    >>>brower to connect to internet, it seems to be a dns configuration problem.

    Please don't "top post"! Net custom is that you post new content AFTER
    quoted material from previous messages which may be, and often should
    be, trimmed. If done well, anyone can read a message and figure out
    what the conversation is about.

    You configure your system to use DNS by:
    1. Editing /etc/resolv.conf to contain the name of your default domain
    and the IP addresses of up to three DNS servers, and
    2. by editing /etc/nsswitch.conf to specify something like "hosts
    dns,files" or "hosts files, dns". Which ever you put first is tried first.

    My resolv.conf looks like this:
    domain GIBLETS # This is gibberish but you're expected to put something
    # here. I suppose I could put "comcast.net" instead of "GIBLETS".
    # Whatever you put is the default domain that will be used if you don't
    # specify a "fully qualified domain name", FQDN for short. I always use
    # the FQDN.
    nameserver 123.231.123.122 # Bogus addresses
    nameserver 123.231.123.144

    Note that resolv.conf must be spelled as I wrote it; if you add a
    terminal "e" to "resolv" your spelling teacher will love you but it
    WON'T WORK!! Also note that you can use names for the nameservers but,
    if you do, /etc/inet/hosts must provide the name to address equivalence.

    Once you set it up right, ping by name should work and so should your
    browser.

    Good luck!

  5. Re: question for wireless connection on a laptop

    Here is my problem.

    when I use the wired connection at office, under /etc/defaultrouter, I
    set office''s gateway with a static ip address.

    At home, I add my sympatico's dns server address into resolv.conf. I
    still can't use name,have to use numeric ip to open a website.

    Even, i remove defaultrouter file, and leave only sympatico's name
    servers, still no go.

    Any where i did wrong?

  6. Re: question for wireless connection on a laptop

    steeles wrote:
    > Here is my problem.
    >
    > when I use the wired connection at office, under /etc/defaultrouter, I
    > set office''s gateway with a static ip address.
    >

    > At home, I add my sympatico's dns server address into resolv.conf. I
    > still can't use name,have to use numeric ip to open a website.
    >
    > Even, i remove defaultrouter file, and leave only sympatico's name
    > servers, still no go.
    >
    > Any where i did wrong?

    The files involved are different! /etc/defaultrouter is supposed to
    contain the address of a router. If you move your machine from work to
    home, the address of the router will probably change unless both
    networks are RFC-1918 private networks. If the address in
    /etc/defaultrouter is incorrect, or if the file is MISSING, you probably
    will not be able to access ANYTHING outside your local network.

    /etc/resolv.conf contains the addresses of from one to three DNS
    servers. If the addresses are invalid, the file is missing, or the
    servers are not functioning, you will be able to access other systems by
    IP address but not by name. These addresses may, or may not, change as
    you move from network to network.

+ Reply to Thread