Need some printer config advice - SUN

This is a discussion on Need some printer config advice - SUN ; I have 2 servers and 1 HP LaserJet on the same LAN (subnet). The Linux server has CUPS configured to send printjobs to the HP LJet via a JetDirect connection (port 9100), and printing is working fine for clients of ...

  1. Need some printer config advice

    I have 2 servers and 1 HP LaserJet on the same LAN (subnet).
    The Linux server has CUPS configured to send printjobs
    to the HP LJet via a JetDirect connection (port 9100), and
    printing is working fine for clients of the Linux server.

    I'm now trying to add (CUPS) printing to the Sun server and
    here's where I need some help. I downloaded and installed
    CUPS from Sun according to the instructions in BigAdmin
    article, Installing CUPS on the Solaris 9 Operating System.

    http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/content/...tall_cups.html

    I'm not sure what's the best way to configure printing
    from the Sun server.

    1. Should I send all the printjobs to the Linux server and
    let the CUPS server on Linux manage all the printjobs?

    2. Or, should the Sun server manage its own printjobs?

    Thanks in advance!

    John

  2. Re: Need some printer config advice

    John wrote:
    > I have 2 servers and 1 HP LaserJet on the same LAN (subnet).
    > The Linux server has CUPS configured to send printjobs
    > to the HP LJet via a JetDirect connection (port 9100), and
    > printing is working fine for clients of the Linux server.
    >
    > I'm now trying to add (CUPS) printing to the Sun server and
    > here's where I need some help. I downloaded and installed
    > CUPS from Sun according to the instructions in BigAdmin
    > article, Installing CUPS on the Solaris 9 Operating System.
    >
    > http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/content/...tall_cups.html
    >
    > I'm not sure what's the best way to configure printing
    > from the Sun server.
    >
    > 1. Should I send all the printjobs to the Linux server and
    > let the CUPS server on Linux manage all the printjobs?
    >
    > 2. Or, should the Sun server manage its own printjobs?
    >
    > Thanks in advance!
    >
    > John

    You can do either or simply let the printer do it's own management. If
    the printer is busy anybody wanting to print will be told, in effect,
    "I'm busy, wait your turn!".

    At my last job we had HP printers hidden all over the building. They
    all had Jet Direct cards. We had dozens of systems including W95, W98,
    W/NT4.0, W2K, WXP, Solaris, VMS, Novell, IBM AS400, and probably a few
    I've forgotten. They all printed to one or more of the HP printers and
    it all just worked. Things could get a little icky if you wanted to use
    special forms but other than that, no problem.

  3. Re: Need some printer config advice

    On Sun, 20 May 2007 16:51:21 -0500,
    John , in
    <4650c5f0$0$18403$baae4c71@news.mindlink.net> wrote:

    >+ I'm not sure what's the best way to configure printing
    >+ from the Sun server.
    >+
    >+ 1. Should I send all the printjobs to the Linux server and
    >+ let the CUPS server on Linux manage all the printjobs?

    That probably doesn't really buy you an advantages, and could become a
    single point of failure should either the machine or the cups
    installation goes belly up.

    >+ 2. Or, should the Sun server manage its own printjobs?

    That's what I usually do.

    isn't looking good, either.