Sun ultra 5 disk0 down but need to bring it up ( MIRACLE?) - SUN

This is a discussion on Sun ultra 5 disk0 down but need to bring it up ( MIRACLE?) - SUN ; Hi Folks, IDE Disk0 ( seagate ST320420A) on Sun ultra 5 is downed. Error Message 1) Bios level ; boot disk0 ; short disk read ; The file just loaded does not appear to be executable 2) When boot cdrom ...

  1. Sun ultra 5 disk0 down but need to bring it up ( MIRACLE?)

    Hi Folks,

    IDE Disk0 ( seagate ST320420A) on Sun ultra 5 is downed.

    Error Message

    1) Bios level ; boot disk0
    ; short disk read
    ; The file just loaded does not appear to be executable

    2) When boot cdrom -sw
    # fsck /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0
    Warning: uncorrectable data error: block 1a00980
    disk not responding to selection

    3) Also tried
    # fsck -o b=32 /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0
    - same message as above -

    4) Trying to mount disk
    # mount /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 /mnt
    I/O error
    cannot mount /dev/dsk/c0t0d0

    Greatly appreciate if someone had tried other methods and manage to
    mount the disk.

    This is desperate situation.
    Is this calling for a MIRACLE ??

    Thanks/Best regards
    johnny

  2. Re: Sun ultra 5 disk0 down but need to bring it up ( MIRACLE?)

    JC wrote:
    > Hi Folks,
    >
    > IDE Disk0 ( seagate ST320420A) on Sun ultra 5 is downed.
    >
    > Error Message
    >
    > 1) Bios level ; boot disk0
    > ; short disk read
    > ; The file just loaded does not appear to be executable
    >
    > 2) When boot cdrom -sw
    > # fsck /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0
    > Warning: uncorrectable data error: block 1a00980
    > disk not responding to selection
    >
    > 3) Also tried
    > # fsck -o b=32 /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0
    > - same message as above -
    >
    > 4) Trying to mount disk
    > # mount /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 /mnt
    > I/O error
    > cannot mount /dev/dsk/c0t0d0
    >
    > Greatly appreciate if someone had tried other methods and manage to
    > mount the disk.
    >
    > This is desperate situation.
    > Is this calling for a MIRACLE ??
    >

    > Thanks/Best regards
    > johnny

    It looks as if a miracle might be required. I really hope that you have
    a recent backup! And a replacement disk.

  3. Re: Sun ultra 5 disk0 down but need to bring it up ( MIRACLE?)

    On 2007-05-20 08:58:30 +0100, JC said:

    > Greatly appreciate if someone had tried other methods and manage to
    > mount the disk.
    >
    > This is desperate situation.
    > Is this calling for a MIRACLE ??

    That's almost certainly a dead disk.

  4. Re: Sun ultra 5 disk0 down but need to bring it up ( MIRACLE?)

    Did you try:
    mount -o ro /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 /a
    I'm not sure if /mnt exists from booting to CD, but /a should. Also,
    run the command after booting to CD-ROM:
    echo | format
    OR
    format

    If the disk doesn't show properly in format then you have a very bad
    issue and the disk probably isn't recoverable. Cross your fingers and
    pray.

    Also, I may be wrong, but I thought only SCSI disks had the c?t?d?s?
    layout? IDE might be just c?t?d?. ls -l /dev/dsk once you boot to CD-
    ROM should help.

  5. Re: Sun ultra 5 disk0 down but need to bring it up ( MIRACLE?)

    On May 22, 8:03 am, micahquar...@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Did you try:
    > mount -o ro /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 /a
    > I'm not sure if /mnt exists from booting to CD, but /a should. Also,
    > run the command after booting to CD-ROM:
    > echo | format
    > OR
    > format
    >
    > If the disk doesn't show properly in format then you have a very bad
    > issue and the disk probably isn't recoverable. Cross your fingers and
    > pray.
    >
    > Also, I may be wrong, but I thought only SCSI disks had the c?t?d?s?
    > layout? IDE might be just c?t?d?. ls -l /dev/dsk once you boot to CD-
    > ROM should help.

    Hi,

    Thanks on all the assistance

    So far hdd still cannot recover...