Sun Update Connection - SUN

This is a discussion on Sun Update Connection - SUN ; Hello, Does anyone has any experience in the update solution from Sun : The Sun Update Connection ? Sun Connection customer hosted infrastructure Dependency and compliance management for thousands of Solaris 8, 9, and 10, Red Hat and SUSE systems ...

  1. Sun Update Connection

    Hello,

    Does anyone has any experience in the update solution from Sun : The Sun
    Update Connection ?
    Sun Connection customer hosted infrastructure Dependency and compliance
    management for thousands of Solaris 8, 9, and 10, Red Hat and SUSE
    systems in distributed data centers

    http://www.sun.com/service/sunconnection/index.jsp

    We want to patch Solaris and Linux servers and were wondering if it is a
    stable and user friendly product ?

    Thanks for any opinions.

    greetings... Richard
    smitsr@gmail.com

  2. Re: Sun Update Connection

    R.Smits wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Does anyone has any experience in the update solution from Sun : The Sun
    > Update Connection ?
    > Sun Connection customer hosted infrastructure Dependency and compliance
    > management for thousands of Solaris 8, 9, and 10, Red Hat and SUSE
    > systems in distributed data centers
    >
    > http://www.sun.com/service/sunconnection/index.jsp
    >
    > We want to patch Solaris and Linux servers and were wondering if it is a
    > stable and user friendly product ?
    >
    > Thanks for any opinions.
    >
    > greetings... Richard
    > smitsr@gmail.com

    Be guided by the hysterical giggling coming from all corners of the
    world! The correct spelling of "The Sun Update Connection" requires a
    "cks" in a place I'll leave to your imagination. IOW, forget it.

    See PCA (Patch Check Advanced).

    $ wget http://www.par.univie.ac.at/solaris/pca/pca
    $ chmod +x pca
    $ ./pca

  3. Re: Sun Update Connection

    Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
    > R.Smits wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> Does anyone has any experience in the update solution from Sun : The Sun
    >> Update Connection ?
    >> Sun Connection customer hosted infrastructure Dependency and compliance
    >> management for thousands of Solaris 8, 9, and 10, Red Hat and SUSE
    >> systems in distributed data centers
    >>
    >> http://www.sun.com/service/sunconnection/index.jsp
    >>
    >> We want to patch Solaris and Linux servers and were wondering if it is a
    >> stable and user friendly product ?
    >>
    >> Thanks for any opinions.
    >>
    >> greetings... Richard
    >> smitsr@gmail.com

    > Be guided by the hysterical giggling coming from all corners of the
    > world! The correct spelling of "The Sun Update Connection" requires a
    > "cks" in a place I'll leave to your imagination. IOW, forget it.
    >
    > See PCA (Patch Check Advanced).
    >
    > $ wget http://www.par.univie.ac.at/solaris/pca/pca
    > $ chmod +x pca
    > $ ./pca

    Wow,

    Some good info :-)
    I am a bit suspicious off the Sun Update Connection software because
    much of the software from Sun "N1 systems manager" is very slow. (java)

    We want a program that is speedy and quick to operate.

    I will look at the Patch Check Advanced....

    Greetings...

  4. Re: Sun Update Connection

    R.Smits wrote:
    > Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
    >
    >>R.Smits wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hello,
    >>>
    >>>Does anyone has any experience in the update solution from Sun : The Sun
    >>>Update Connection ?
    >>>Sun Connection customer hosted infrastructure Dependency and compliance
    >>>management for thousands of Solaris 8, 9, and 10, Red Hat and SUSE
    >>>systems in distributed data centers
    >>>
    >>>http://www.sun.com/service/sunconnection/index.jsp
    >>>
    >>>We want to patch Solaris and Linux servers and were wondering if it is a
    >>>stable and user friendly product ?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks for any opinions.
    >>>
    >>>greetings... Richard
    >>>smitsr@gmail.com

    >>Be guided by the hysterical giggling coming from all corners of the
    >>world! The correct spelling of "The Sun Update Connection" requires a
    >>"cks" in a place I'll leave to your imagination. IOW, forget it.
    >>
    >>See PCA (Patch Check Advanced).
    >>
    >>$ wget http://www.par.univie.ac.at/solaris/pca/pca
    >> $ chmod +x pca
    >> $ ./pca
    >>

    > Wow,
    >
    > Some good info :-)
    > I am a bit suspicious off the Sun Update Connection software because
    > much of the software from Sun "N1 systems manager" is very slow. (java)
    >
    > We want a program that is speedy and quick to operate.
    >
    > I will look at the Patch Check Advanced....
    >
    > Greetings...

    Good luck and be SURE to make a BACKUP before patching anything. Sun's
    patches are not always perfect. . . . Occasionally they are worse than
    the problem they were supposed to fix.

  5. Re: Sun Update Connection & cdrom for audio CDs

    Roger that -- one of the patches I last installed caused my Ultra 45
    cdrom to no longer recognize audio CDs. So I'll have to put on my
    troubleshooting hat and figure out which patch caused it, or else wait
    for the next OS upgrade release, or else just use the WMP on my windoze
    box, or ... anyone have any idears?

    System particulars: ultra SPARC IIIi, Solaris 10 11/06 release, U45
    standard cdrom.

    Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
    > R.Smits wrote:
    >
    >> Richard B. Gilbert wrote:

    >>> Be guided by the hysterical giggling coming from all corners of the
    >>> world! The correct spelling of "The Sun Update Connection" requires a
    >>> "cks" in a place I'll leave to your imagination. IOW, forget it.
    >>>
    >>> See PCA (Patch Check Advanced).
    >>>
    >>> $ wget http://www.par.univie.ac.at/solaris/pca/pca
    >>> $ chmod +x pca
    >>> $ ./pca
    >>>

    >> Wow,
    >>
    >> Some good info :-)
    >> I am a bit suspicious off the Sun Update Connection software because
    >> much of the software from Sun "N1 systems manager" is very slow. (java)
    >>
    >> We want a program that is speedy and quick to operate.
    >>
    >> I will look at the Patch Check Advanced....
    >>
    >> Greetings...
    >>

    > Good luck and be SURE to make a BACKUP before patching anything. Sun's
    > patches are not always perfect. . . . Occasionally they are worse than
    > the problem they were supposed to fix.

+ Reply to Thread