solaris 10 on the net? can't get on the net with a new install of s10 - SUN

This is a discussion on solaris 10 on the net? can't get on the net with a new install of s10 - SUN ; I have a solaris 8 and solaris 9 box that I have no problem with the network setup. I am using static ip's, the network is a dsl modem( 192.168.0.1 ) going into a lynksys router/switch (192.168.1.1) going to the ...

  1. solaris 10 on the net? can't get on the net with a new install of s10

    I have a solaris 8 and solaris 9 box that I have no problem with the
    network
    setup. I am using static ip's, the network is a dsl
    modem( 192.168.0.1 )
    going into a lynksys router/switch (192.168.1.1) going to the hosts.

    I set up the solaris 10 host the same as the other boxes. The solaris
    10
    host can ping and web browse ip numbers but not names.
    The nsswitch.conf is using dns, the resolv.conf is the same as the
    other
    hosts, the default router is the same.

    Is there something different with how the s10 box does the dns?

    Any ideas will be appreciated

    /markt
    mark_thomas@toyota.com
    marktuid4att@att.net

  2. Re: solaris 10 on the net? can't get on the net with a new install of s10

    yuid4matusi@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Is there something different with how the s10 box does the dns?

    Nope. Does nslookup or dig return DNS records?
    Does the /etc/resolv.conf file contain valid "nameserver" records?
    (man resolv.conf)
    Are you _sure_ that /etc/nsswitch.conf is a copy of /etc/nsswitch.dns?

    --
    Geoff Lane, Airstrip One

    If it works, rip it apart and find out why!

  3. Re: solaris 10 on the net? can't get on the net with a new install of s10

    On May 10, 11:46 am, Lone Gaffe wrote:
    > yuid4mat...@yahoo.com wrote:
    > > Is there something different with how the s10 box does the dns?

    > Nope. Does nslookup or dig return DNS records?
    > Does the /etc/resolv.conf file contain valid "nameserver" records?
    > (man resolv.conf)
    > Are you _sure_ that /etc/nsswitch.conf is a copy of /etc/nsswitch.dns?
    >
    > --
    > Geoff Lane, Airstrip One
    >
    > If it works, rip it apart and find out why!

    I am -sure- about the nsswitch.conf. That was a no brainer.
    I can do nslookups and get ip's for www.whatever.com. I can ping the
    ip numbers
    but -not- the names.
    Just to make sure it was not a hardware problem I did a solaris 9
    build on the same
    box and it was easy to set it up. No problem. I also did a free bsd
    build and it
    was good to go. So, I'm stumped.

    /markt

  4. Re: solaris 10 on the net? can't get on the net with a new install of s10

    :> yuid4mat...@yahoo.com wrote:
    :> > Is there something different with how the s10 box does the dns?
    :>
    :> Nope. Does nslookup or dig return DNS records?
    :> Does the /etc/resolv.conf file contain valid "nameserver" records?
    :> (man resolv.conf)
    :> Are you _sure_ that /etc/nsswitch.conf is a copy of /etc/nsswitch.dns?

    : I am -sure- about the nsswitch.conf. That was a no brainer.
    : I can do nslookups and get ip's for www.whatever.com. I can ping the
    : ip numbers
    : but -not- the names.

    I'm having the same problem on my U60. It was working just fine
    until I upgraded the fireware on my netgear router then it stopped working.
    My E250 running Solaris 9 is fine, only the Solaris 10 system.
    The U60 been running Solaris 10 from the day I set it up a year or two
    ago.

    I thought I might have broken something on the system, or installing
    bad patches on the U60 so I reinstall but it still won't work to the internet.
    I tried with and without the latest patch cluster, still didn't work.

    I can ping, by IP (if I remember correctly), but dns lookups fail.

    I switched to a linux desktop and powered off the U60 until I
    have the time to work on it again.

    I was thinking of setting up a caching DNS server on the local network
    and point the U60 there but I haven't gotten around to trying it.... yet.
    Another possible fix is to replace the netgear router with a linux firewall
    box, but I need to get a few parts first before I can set it up.

    So little time, so many fun projects to do..... Damn 6hrs at day sleeping!

    --
    Barry Keeney
    Chaos Consulting

    "Rap is Square Dancing gone terribly, terribly Wrong...."

  5. Re: solaris 10 on the net? can't get on the net with a new install of s10

    Barry Keeney writes:

    > yuid4matusi@yahoo.com wrote:
    > : On May 10, 11:46 am, Lone Gaffe wrote:
    > :> yuid4mat...@yahoo.com wrote:
    > :> > Is there something different with how the s10 box does the dns?
    > :>
    > :> Nope. Does nslookup or dig return DNS records?
    > :> Does the /etc/resolv.conf file contain valid "nameserver" records?
    > :> (man resolv.conf)
    > :> Are you _sure_ that /etc/nsswitch.conf is a copy of /etc/nsswitch.dns?
    >
    > : I am -sure- about the nsswitch.conf. That was a no brainer.
    > : I can do nslookups and get ip's for www.whatever.com. I can ping the
    > : ip numbers
    > : but -not- the names.
    >
    > I'm having the same problem on my U60. It was working just fine
    > until I upgraded the fireware on my netgear router then it stopped working.
    > My E250 running Solaris 9 is fine, only the Solaris 10 system.
    > The U60 been running Solaris 10 from the day I set it up a year or two
    > ago.

    This is almost always due to having a different setting for "ipnodes"
    and "hosts" in /etc/nsswitch.conf. Check that first.

    --
    James Carlson, Solaris Networking

  6. Re: solaris 10 on the net? can't get on the net with a new install of s10

    On May 14, 4:53 am, James Carlson wrote:
    > yuid4mat...@yahoo.com writes:
    > > I am -sure- about the nsswitch.conf. That was a no brainer.
    > > I can do nslookups and get ip's forwww.whatever.com. I can ping the
    > > ip numbers
    > > but -not- the names.
    > > Just to make sure it was not a hardware problem I did a solaris 9
    > > build on the same
    > > box and it was easy to set it up. No problem. I also did a free bsd
    > > build and it
    > > was good to go. So, I'm stumped.

    > Here are a few things to try:
    >
    > - Make sure the "hosts" and "ipnodes" entries in /etc/nsswitch.conf
    > both say the same thing. For most people, it's "files dns".
    >
    > - Use "getent" to test your name service configuration. If nslookup
    > works, but getent or ping doesn't, that's just a dead giveaway
    > that the problem is in nsswitch.conf.
    >
    > - Check the system services with "svcs -x". If anything is being
    > reported as in "maintenance" state, then check that out.
    >
    > --
    > James Carlson, Solaris Networking
    > Sun Microsystems / 1 Network Drive 71.232W Vox +1 781 442 2084
    > MS UBUR02-212 / Burlington MA 01803-2757 42.496N Fax +1 781 442 1677

    I checked the svcs -x, it only showed the printer stuff. No
    problem.

    I tried the getent command.

    #
    # ping www.gm.com
    www.gm.com is alive
    I can go to the gm site and get around the site ok.
    #
    # nslookup www.sun.com
    Server: 192.168.0.1
    Address: 192.168.0.1#53

    Non-authoritative answer:
    Name: www.sun.com
    Address: 72.5.124.61

    #
    # ping www.sun.com
    ^C#
    # getent hosts www.sun.com
    72.5.124.61 www.sun.com
    #
    #
    # ping 72.5.124.61
    ^C#
    #
    # ping www.redhat.com
    ^C#
    # nslookup www.redhat.com
    Server: 192.168.0.1
    Address: 192.168.0.1#53

    Non-authoritative answer:
    Name: www.redhat.com
    Address: 209.132.177.50

    #
    # getent hosts www.redhat.com
    209.132.177.50 www.redhat.com
    #
    # ping 209.132.177.50
    ^C#

    Thanks for the help.

    /markt

  7. Re: solaris 10 on the net? can't get on the net with a new install of s10

    yuid4matusi@yahoo.com writes:
    > # ping www.gm.com
    > www.gm.com is alive

    [...]
    > # ping www.sun.com
    > ^C#

    [...]
    > # ping www.redhat.com
    > ^C#

    This is a completely different issue. Not all sites allow ping!

    The ones you're citing there (www.sun.com, www.redhat.com) actually
    drop ICMP messages. You can't ping them.

    In other words, it's not a bug. Try this:

    % telnet www.redhat.com 80

    That should connect just fine. Type "GET /", and you should see a
    pile of text from that web site.

    --
    James Carlson, Solaris Networking