Regarding Volumes reporting ! - SUN

This is a discussion on Regarding Volumes reporting ! - SUN ; I want some clarifications here As my understanding: Physical Volumes entries exists in: /dev/dsk n /dev/rdsk with slice information. Anyway we can get the Physical volumes/disk info And for logical Volumes: /etc/mnttab, /etc/vfstab contains entries And its not generic to ...

  1. Regarding Volumes reporting !

    I want some clarifications here

    As my understanding:

    Physical Volumes entries exists in: /dev/dsk n /dev/rdsk with slice
    information. Anyway we can get the Physical volumes/disk info

    And for logical Volumes: /etc/mnttab, /etc/vfstab contains entries
    And its not generic to get all the Logical Volumes from these
    location. Suppose Volume Managers are (+1) installed then Scene is
    different as Volume Managers are having their own approch make entries
    under OS ... like Veritas Volume Manager (VxVm) is creating logical
    volume entries in /dev/vx/....

    So my question is "Is there any independent way to get all Logical
    Volumes without taking care of Volume Managers?"

    Thanks!

  2. Re: Regarding Volumes reporting !

    On 4 May 2007 12:26:53 -0700, painulyarun@gmail.com said something similar to:

    > Physical Volumes entries exists in: /dev/dsk n /dev/rdsk with slice
    > information. Anyway we can get the Physical volumes/disk info

    Sort of. Knowing that there's a physical disk device named
    /dev/dsk/ct2t1d0 doesn't tell you whether the device is a single
    hard disk or a LUN on hardware RAID array for instance. The OS
    just sees it as a disk either way.

    > And for logical Volumes: /etc/mnttab, /etc/vfstab contains entries

    No. /etc/mnttab and /etc/vfstab contain entries regarding filesystems,
    not volumes. For local filesystems, the entries map the filesystem
    back to the volume (physical or logical) on which it resides.

    It's quite possible to have volumes present on the system and in use
    which aren't recorded in /etc/mnttab or /etc/vfstab because they don't
    contain filesystems. (e.g. A database using raw devices for data storage.)

    > And its not generic to get all the Logical Volumes from these
    > location. Suppose Volume Managers are (+1) installed then Scene is
    > different as Volume Managers are having their own approch make entries
    > under OS ... like Veritas Volume Manager (VxVm) is creating logical
    > volume entries in /dev/vx/....
    >
    > So my question is "Is there any independent way to get all Logical
    > Volumes without taking care of Volume Managers?"

    Without a logical volume manager, you can't have logical volumes.
    If you want to know what logical volumes are present on a given system,
    you need to know what LVMs are in use and how to query them for
    infomation regarding the volumes they manage.

  3. Re: Regarding Volumes reporting !

    On May 5, 4:25 am, Mike Delaney wrote:
    > On 4 May 2007 12:26:53 -0700, painulya...@gmail.com said something similar to:
    >

    > > Physical Volumes entries exists in: /dev/dsk n /dev/rdsk with slice
    > > information. Anyway we can get the Physical volumes/disk info

    > Sort of. Knowing that there's a physical disk device named
    > /dev/dsk/ct2t1d0 doesn't tell you whether the device is a single
    > hard disk or a LUN on hardware RAID array for instance. The OS
    > just sees it as a disk either way.
    >
    > > And for logical Volumes: /etc/mnttab, /etc/vfstab contains entries

    > No. /etc/mnttab and /etc/vfstab contain entries regarding filesystems,
    > not volumes. For local filesystems, the entries map the filesystem
    > back to the volume (physical or logical) on which it resides.
    >
    > It's quite possible to have volumes present on the system and in use
    > which aren't recorded in /etc/mnttab or /etc/vfstab because they don't
    > contain filesystems. (e.g. A database using raw devices for data storage.)
    >
    > > And its not generic to get all the Logical Volumes from these
    > > location. Suppose Volume Managers are (+1) installed then Scene is
    > > different as Volume Managers are having their own approch make entries
    > > under OS ... like Veritas Volume Manager (VxVm) is creating logical
    > > volume entries in /dev/vx/....

    > > So my question is "Is there any independent way to get all Logical
    > > Volumes without taking care of Volume Managers?"

    > Without a logical volume manager, you can't have logical volumes.
    > If you want to know what logical volumes are present on a given system,
    > you need to know what LVMs are in use and how to query them for
    > infomation regarding the volumes they manage.

    Thanks a lot 4 ur quick response!

    So we need to take care of every installed Volume Manager

    Do you have any pointer to docs where i can get all the details about
    Volume managers .. how they are dealing with Logical
    Volumes.... ........ hmm.. Big task

    Thanks!

  4. Re: Regarding Volumes reporting !

    On 5 May 2007 03:13:29 -0700, painulyarun@gmail.com said something similar to:

    > Do you have any pointer to docs where i can get all the details about
    > Volume managers .. how they are dealing with Logical
    > Volumes.... ........ hmm.. Big task

    On Solaris the two you're most likely to run into are Solaris Volume
    Manager (SVM) (known in older releases as Disk Suite or Solstice Disk Suite),
    and Veritas Volume Manager (VxVM).

    Documetation for SVM and its prior incarnations can be found on docs.sun.com,
    and documentation for VxVM is avalible from the support section of
    Symantec's website.

  5. Re: Regarding Volumes reporting !

    In article ,
    Mike Delaney wrote:
    >On 5 May 2007 03:13:29 -0700, painulyarun@gmail.com said something similar to:
    >>
    >> Do you have any pointer to docs where i can get all the details about
    >> Volume managers .. how they are dealing with Logical
    >> Volumes.... ........ hmm.. Big task
    >>

    >On Solaris the two you're most likely to run into are Solaris Volume
    >Manager (SVM) (known in older releases as Disk Suite or Solstice Disk Suite),
    >and Veritas Volume Manager (VxVM).

    Although, with Solaris 10, you'll also have ZFS available (not just a
    filesystem but a storage management system, as well).

    -tom
    --

    "You can only be -so- accurate with a claw-hammer." --me

  6. Re: Regarding Volumes reporting !

    On May 6, 12:31 pm, fer...@xanthia.com (Thomas H Jones II) wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Mike Delaney wrote:
    >
    > >On 5 May 2007 03:13:29 -0700, painulya...@gmail.com said something similar to:

    > >> Do you have any pointer to docs where i can get all the details about
    > >> Volume managers .. how they are dealing with Logical
    > >> Volumes.... ........ hmm.. Big task

    > >On Solaris the two you're most likely to run into are Solaris Volume
    > >Manager (SVM) (known in older releases as Disk Suite or Solstice Disk Suite),
    > >and Veritas Volume Manager (VxVM).

    > Although, with Solaris 10, you'll also have ZFS available (not just a
    > filesystem but a storage management system, as well).
    >
    > -tom
    > --
    >
    > "You can only be -so- accurate with a claw-hammer." --me

    Thanks a lot for ur responses!

+ Reply to Thread