mirroring problemds need help - SUN

This is a discussion on mirroring problemds need help - SUN ; Hey gurus, I finally started doing the mirroring of the server, but unfortunately the sane error pops ups on every server I mirrored. The system automatically takes me to the single user mode to fix the issue with the disk. ...

  1. mirroring problemds need help

    Hey gurus,

    I finally started doing the mirroring of the server, but unfortunately
    the sane error pops ups on every server I mirrored. The system
    automatically takes me to the single user mode to fix the issue with
    the disk. It is exactly the same error I am receiving on the other
    servers
    it says:

    unable to repair /var filesystem. Run fsck manually (fsck -F ufs /dev/
    rdsk/c1t0d0s6)

    I tried the command specified by the system but it says cannot find
    the file or directory, but if I do
    fsck -F ufs /dev/dsk/c1tt0d0s6
    it works fine, but the probelm is still there
    if I do
    fsch -F ufs /dev/md/dsk/c1t0d0s6 it says
    fsck: could not stat /dev/md/rdsk/c1t0d0s6: No such file or directory
    The HDD config is the following
    /
    swap
    backup
    unassigned (available for Db replicas)
    /apps
    /tmp
    /var
    /home
    the command I used to setup the mirror is
    metainit -f d16 1 1 c1t0d0s6
    metainit d26 1 1 c1t1d0s6
    metainit d36 -m d16.
    Please help ASAP!!

  2. Re: mirroring problemds need help

    In article <1178068012.336734.269050@l77g2000hsb.googlegroups. com>,
    learner wrote:

    > Hey gurus,
    >
    > I finally started doing the mirroring of the server, but unfortunately
    > the sane error pops ups on every server I mirrored. The system
    > automatically takes me to the single user mode to fix the issue with
    > the disk. It is exactly the same error I am receiving on the other
    > servers
    > it says:
    >
    > unable to repair /var filesystem. Run fsck manually (fsck -F ufs /dev/
    > rdsk/c1t0d0s6)
    >
    > I tried the command specified by the system but it says cannot find
    > the file or directory, but if I do
    > fsck -F ufs /dev/dsk/c1tt0d0s6
    > it works fine, but the probelm is still there
    > if I do
    > fsch -F ufs /dev/md/dsk/c1t0d0s6 it says
    > fsck: could not stat /dev/md/rdsk/c1t0d0s6: No such file or directory
    > The HDD config is the following
    > /
    > swap
    > backup
    > unassigned (available for Db replicas)
    > /apps
    > /tmp
    > /var
    > /home
    > the command I used to setup the mirror is
    > metainit -f d16 1 1 c1t0d0s6
    > metainit d26 1 1 c1t1d0s6
    > metainit d36 -m d16.
    > Please help ASAP!!

    This may be of some assistance:

    http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/816...anpiepm?a=view

    Click on the "Performing System Recovery" link.

    You didn't specify which version of the OS you're using so be advised I
    provided the Solaris 10 link. Search for something similar for your
    specific version of the OS if it's not Solaris 10.

    Josh

  3. Re: mirroring problemds need help

    learner wrote:
    >Hey gurus,
    >
    >I finally started doing the mirroring of the server, but unfortunately
    >the sane error pops ups on every server I mirrored. The system
    >automatically takes me to the single user mode to fix the issue with
    >the disk. It is exactly the same error I am receiving on the other
    >servers
    >it says:
    >
    >unable to repair /var filesystem. Run fsck manually (fsck -F ufs /dev/
    >rdsk/c1t0d0s6)
    >
    >I tried the command specified by the system but it says cannot find
    >the file or directory, but if I do
    >fsck -F ufs /dev/dsk/c1tt0d0s6
    >it works fine, but the probelm is still there
    >if I do
    >fsch -F ufs /dev/md/dsk/c1t0d0s6 it says

    I think you're confused. Why are you trying to fsck /dev/md/dsk/c1t0d0s6?
    An SVM volume is going to take the form of /dev/md/dsk/d (e.g.,
    /dev/md/dsk/d10). You need to either fsck the correct metadevice or fsck
    the underlying physical slice (e.g., /dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s6). You don't want
    to try the bastard hybrid you appear to be trying to do.

    >fsck: could not stat /dev/md/rdsk/c1t0d0s6: No such file or directory

    Which makes sense: /dev/md/rdsk/c1t0d0s6 should *never* exist.

    >The HDD config is the following
    >/
    >swap
    >backup
    >unassigned (available for Db replicas)
    >/apps
    >/tmp
    >/var
    >/home
    >the command I used to setup the mirror is
    > metainit -f d16 1 1 c1t0d0s6
    >metainit d26 1 1 c1t1d0s6
    >metainit d36 -m d16.
    >Please help ASAP!!

    Couple things:
    * realistically, you should be fscking /dev/md/rdsk/d36
    * I see, from the above, that you've created the mirror device d36
    from d16, but I don't see the metattach where you add d26 to the
    d36 mirror definition. From the above, you only have a single-plex
    mirror device (no redundancy)
    * You don't tell us what you have in your vfstab. However, your vfstab
    should look something like:

    /dev/md/dsk/d36 /dev/md/rdsk/d36 /var ufs 1 no logging

    -tom
    --

    "You can only be -so- accurate with a claw-hammer." --me

  4. Re: mirroring problemds need help

    On 1 May 2007 18:06:52 -0700, learner wrote:

    >Hey gurus,
    >
    >I finally started doing the mirroring of the server, but unfortunately
    >the sane error pops ups on every server I mirrored. The system
    >automatically takes me to the single user mode to fix the issue with
    >the disk. It is exactly the same error I am receiving on the other
    >servers
    >it says:
    >
    >unable to repair /var filesystem. Run fsck manually (fsck -F ufs /dev/
    >rdsk/c1t0d0s6)
    >
    >I tried the command specified by the system but it says cannot find
    >the file or directory, but if I do
    >fsck -F ufs /dev/dsk/c1tt0d0s6

    That should not work. Your system is misconfigured.

    >it works fine, but the probelm is still there
    >if I do
    >fsch -F ufs /dev/md/dsk/c1t0d0s6 it says
    >fsck: could not stat /dev/md/rdsk/c1t0d0s6: No such file or directory
    >The HDD config is the following
    >/
    >swap
    >backup
    >unassigned (available for Db replicas)
    >/apps
    >/tmp
    >/var
    >/home
    >the command I used to setup the mirror is
    > metainit -f d16 1 1 c1t0d0s6
    >metainit d26 1 1 c1t1d0s6
    >metainit d36 -m d16.
    >Please help ASAP!!

    Barry
    =====
    Home page
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og
    I do not represent atheists or atheism

  5. Re: mirroring problemds need help

    In article <8nrj33tdkuff1u6sfoss2jmrl0c33m88si@4ax.com>,
    Barry OGrady wrote:
    >On 1 May 2007 18:06:52 -0700, learner wrote:
    >
    >>Hey gurus,
    >>
    >>I finally started doing the mirroring of the server, but unfortunately
    >>the sane error pops ups on every server I mirrored. The system
    >>automatically takes me to the single user mode to fix the issue with
    >>the disk. It is exactly the same error I am receiving on the other
    >>servers
    >>it says:
    >>
    >>unable to repair /var filesystem. Run fsck manually (fsck -F ufs /dev/
    >>rdsk/c1t0d0s6)
    >>
    >>I tried the command specified by the system but it says cannot find
    >>the file or directory, but if I do
    >>fsck -F ufs /dev/dsk/c1tt0d0s6

    >That should not work. Your system is misconfigured.

    Actually, it depends. At least on Solaris versions prior to 10 (might
    have been "fixed" in Solaris 9, too), if the block device was less than
    2GB in size, you could fsk either the block or the character device.

    -tom

    --

    "You can only be -so- accurate with a claw-hammer." --me

+ Reply to Thread