NFS mount problem between Sol.9 client and Sol.10 server - SUN

This is a discussion on NFS mount problem between Sol.9 client and Sol.10 server - SUN ; Hello: Since migrating my server from Solaris 9 to Solaris 10, a client (Sol.9) mount of a filesystem (/store) shared by the server (Sol.10) is denied. It used to work when the server OS was Solaris 9. The filesystem is ...

  1. NFS mount problem between Sol.9 client and Sol.10 server

    Hello:

    Since migrating my server from Solaris 9 to Solaris 10, a client (Sol.9)
    mount of a filesystem (/store) shared by the server (Sol.10) is denied.
    It used to work when the server OS was Solaris 9.

    The filesystem is used by both client and server for automated backups:
    a snapshot of a /export/home is written to /store before being dumped to
    a tape device.

    Automount of server home directories by the client is working.

    Some characteristics of the server and client machines:

    Server side (hostname airy): Solaris 10, JASS'ed, IPFilter'ed
    ===========
    # fgrep store /etc/vfstab
    /dev/dsk/c0t1d0s6 /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s6 /store ufs 2
    yes logging,nosuid

    # fgrep store /etc/dfs/dfstab
    share -F nfs -o nosuid,log=global,root=ritz -d "Backing store" /store

    Client side (hostname ritz): Solaris 9, some services disabled (ftp, rsh,
    =========== telnet, ...) in /etc/inet/inetd.conf
    # fgrep store /etc/vfstab
    airy:/store - /store nfs - yes intr,bg,nosuid

    # ls -ld store
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root other 512 Apr 5 22:31 store

    Manual mount attempt of /store on the Sol.9 client :

    Apr 24 13:26:28 ritz mount[10666]: [ID 218687 user.error] airy:/store:
    Permission denied

    I have noticed the following /etc/passwd difference between client and
    server:

    client (Sol.9): root:x:0:1:Super-User:/:/sbin/sh
    server (Sol.10): root:x:0:0:Super-User:/root:/bin/bash

    Could the different GID be the source of the mount problem ? If not,
    does anyone have an idea as to why mounting is now denied ?
    --
    ,
    /)

  2. Re: NFS mount problem between Sol.9 client and Sol.10 server

    Guy Paulus wrote:
    [...]
    > Could the different GID be the source of the mount problem ? If not,
    > does anyone have an idea as to why mounting is now denied ?

    Perhaps ritz isn't known to the server (/etc/inet/ipnodes), but I'd
    also allow rw-access to the client, just to make sure.

    Jens

  3. Re: NFS mount problem between Sol.9 client and Sol.10 server

    Guy Paulus wrote:

    > Server side (hostname airy): Solaris 10, JASS'ed, IPFilter'ed

    > # fgrep store /etc/dfs/dfstab
    > share -F nfs -o nosuid,log=global,root=ritz -d "Backing store" /store

    > Manual mount attempt of /store on the Sol.9 client :
    >
    > Apr 24 13:26:28 ritz mount[10666]: [ID 218687 user.error] airy:/store:
    > Permission denied

    Try adding "rw=hostname" to the share options or use FQDN of the client

    rw=hostname,root=hostname

    rw=hostname.domain.net,root=hostname.domain.net

+ Reply to Thread