view tape content written by ufsdump? - SUN

This is a discussion on view tape content written by ufsdump? - SUN ; Hi, I might have confused a few tapes so I want to list their content or date information of files generated on the tapes This is the command that dump files to the tape daily: ufsdump ${LEVEL}lufc $DEVICE /partitionname I ...

  1. view tape content written by ufsdump?

    Hi, I might have confused a few tapes so I want to list their content
    or date information of files generated on the tapes

    This is the command that dump files to the tape daily:

    ufsdump ${LEVEL}lufc $DEVICE /partitionname

    I used tar tvf and cpio -civt and they both failed! I suppose it's
    because the tape is written by ufsdump and can only be read by
    ufsrestore.

    Is there anyway to view what is actually on the tape? Date of the
    content being written is enough, any ideas appreciates.

    Below is the failed attemps:

    # tar tvf /dev/rmt/1n
    tar: tape read error

    /usr/bin/mt -f /dev/rmt/1n status
    Inf of my tape drive:
    sense key(0x0)= No Additional Sense residual= 0 retries= 0
    file no= 1 block no= 0

    # mt -f /dev/rmt/1n rewind

    # /usr/bin/mt -f /dev/rmt/1n status
    Quantum DLT8000 tape drive:
    sense key(0x0)= No Additional Sense residual= 0 retries= 0
    file no= 0 block no= 0
    # cpio -civt < /dev/rmt/1n
    cpio: I/O error on "input", errno 12, Not enough space
    1 errors

    # tar tvf /dev/rmt/1n
    tar: tape read error

  2. Re: view tape content written by ufsdump?

    Chris wrote:
    > Hi, I might have confused a few tapes so I want to list their content
    > or date information of files generated on the tapes
    >
    > This is the command that dump files to the tape daily:
    >
    > ufsdump ${LEVEL}lufc $DEVICE /partitionname
    >

    > I used tar tvf and cpio -civt and they both failed! I suppose it's
    > because the tape is written by ufsdump and can only be read by
    > ufsrestore.
    >
    > Is there anyway to view what is actually on the tape? Date of the
    > content being written is enough, any ideas appreciates.

    man ufsrestore

    It SAYS that there is a way to list the files. I've never succeeded in
    getting it to work but it's a place to start.

  3. Re: view tape content written by ufsdump?

    Chris wrote:
    > Hi, I might have confused a few tapes so I want to list their content
    > or date information of files generated on the tapes
    >
    > This is the command that dump files to the tape daily:
    >
    > ufsdump ${LEVEL}lufc $DEVICE /partitionname
    >

    > I used tar tvf and cpio -civt and they both failed! I suppose it's
    > because the tape is written by ufsdump and can only be read by
    > ufsrestore.

    That's because it doesn't write in either "cpio" or "tar"
    formats, it has it's own.

    If I remember correctly, both "tar" and "cpio" write the
    file name/info as they write the file to tape (or tar/cpio archive
    file).

    "ufsdump" writes the list of files it's going to put in the archive
    at the beginning, saving time if the file you want isn't on this
    tape/file.

    > Is there anyway to view what is actually on the tape? Date of the
    > content being written is enough, any ideas appreciates.

    ufsrestore tvf

    You can leave out the "v" in "tvf", it justs displays more verbose
    info like when the archive was created which is one of the things
    you are looking for.

    Works great, been using this for years and never had any problems
    with it listing the files from a tape or ufsdump file..

    -
    Barry Keeney
    Chaos Consulting
    email barryk@chaoscon.com

    "Rap is Square Dancing gone terribly, terribly Wrong...."

  4. Re: view tape content written by ufsdump?

    On Apr 24, 5:41 am, Chris wrote:
    > Hi, I might have confused a few tapes so I want to list their content
    > or date information of files generated on the tapes
    >
    > This is the command that dump files to the tape daily:
    >
    > ufsdump ${LEVEL}lufc $DEVICE /partitionname
    >
    > I used tar tvf and cpio -civt and they both failed! I suppose it's
    > because the tape is written by ufsdump and can only be read by
    > ufsrestore.
    >
    > Is there anyway to view what is actually on the tape? Date of the
    > content being written is enough, any ideas appreciates.
    >
    > Below is the failed attemps:
    >
    > # tar tvf /dev/rmt/1n
    > tar: tape read error
    >
    > /usr/bin/mt -f /dev/rmt/1n status
    > Inf of my tape drive:
    > sense key(0x0)= No Additional Sense residual= 0 retries= 0
    > file no= 1 block no= 0
    >
    > # mt -f /dev/rmt/1n rewind
    >
    > # /usr/bin/mt -f /dev/rmt/1n status
    > Quantum DLT8000 tape drive:
    > sense key(0x0)= No Additional Sense residual= 0 retries= 0
    > file no= 0 block no= 0
    > # cpio -civt < /dev/rmt/1n
    > cpio: I/O error on "input", errno 12, Not enough space
    > 1 errors
    >
    > # tar tvf /dev/rmt/1n
    > tar: tape read error

    Since you wrote the tape with ufsdump, then the appropriate tool to
    extract the contents is ufsrestore. Since all you want to do is
    determine what each of the tapes contains then simply change to /tmp
    and then do a ufsrestore -ivf /dev/rmt/1n will get an interactive
    restore. Once it reads the table of contents you use cd and ls to
    change directories and list the contents of the directories. Further
    the ufsrestore -ivf /dev/rmt/1n will give a date and time that the
    ufsdump occurred on

  5. Re: view tape content written by ufsdump?

    On Apr 24, 6:41 am, Chris wrote:
    > Hi, I might have confused a few tapes so I want to list their content
    > or date information of files generated on the tapes
    >
    > This is the command that dump files to the tape daily:
    >
    > ufsdump ${LEVEL}lufc $DEVICE /partitionname
    >
    > I used tar tvf and cpio -civt and they both failed! I suppose it's
    > because the tape is written by ufsdump and can only be read by
    > ufsrestore.
    >
    > Is there anyway to view what is actually on the tape? Date of the
    > content being written is enough, any ideas appreciates.
    >
    > Below is the failed attemps:
    >
    > # tar tvf /dev/rmt/1n
    > tar: tape read error
    >
    > /usr/bin/mt -f /dev/rmt/1n status
    > Inf of my tape drive:
    > sense key(0x0)= No Additional Sense residual= 0 retries= 0
    > file no= 1 block no= 0
    >
    > # mt -f /dev/rmt/1n rewind
    >
    > # /usr/bin/mt -f /dev/rmt/1n status
    > Quantum DLT8000 tape drive:
    > sense key(0x0)= No Additional Sense residual= 0 retries= 0
    > file no= 0 block no= 0
    > # cpio -civt < /dev/rmt/1n
    > cpio: I/O error on "input", errno 12, Not enough space
    > 1 errors
    >
    > # tar tvf /dev/rmt/1n
    > tar: tape read error

    ufsrestore tf /dev/rmt/1n

    The t means "show me the table of contents." The f means "use this
    device/file", in your case /dev/rmt/1. I'm not sure how to get the
    date of the archive, but when you restore the files, ufsrestore will
    preserve the original modification time by default (if possible).

    -b

+ Reply to Thread