sound on a SunBlade 1000 - SUN

This is a discussion on sound on a SunBlade 1000 - SUN ; Is there a short course or HOWTO for setting up sound on a sparc? I have Solar 10 (and 9) on a SunBlade 1000. I tried to listen to a clip on mozilla, with the window x-ed onto my linux ...

  1. sound on a SunBlade 1000

    Is there a short course or HOWTO for setting up sound on a sparc?

    I have Solar 10 (and 9) on a SunBlade 1000. I tried to listen to a clip
    on mozilla, with the window x-ed onto my linux box and my headphones
    plugged into the blade. No sound. This after a standard, relatively
    problem-free install (after the x-th re-install

    man -k mix yielded mixerctl, which yielded:
    device /dev/audioctl - Access denied

    Before starting mozilla as root, I checked around and noticed:

    $ ls -l /dev/audioctl
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Mar 19 01:32 /dev/audioctl -> sound/0ctl
    $ ls -FC /dev/sound0ctl
    /dev/sound0ctl: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden

    There's esdctl and esdmon, which might be candidates, but from Linux
    experience I know sound is a very delicate thing that I don't want to
    break before I get started.

    Any help is appreciated.

  2. Re: sound on a SunBlade 1000

    On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 12:37:58 +0200, Charles T. Smith wrote:

    > Is there a short course or HOWTO for setting up sound on a sparc?
    >
    > I have Solar 10 (and 9) on a SunBlade 1000. I tried to listen to a clip
    > on mozilla, with the window x-ed onto my linux box and my headphones
    > plugged into the blade. No sound. This after a standard, relatively
    > problem-free install (after the x-th re-install
    >
    > man -k mix yielded mixerctl, which yielded:
    > device /dev/audioctl - Access denied
    >
    > Before starting mozilla as root, I checked around and noticed:
    >
    > $ ls -l /dev/audioctl
    > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Mar 19 01:32 /dev/audioctl -> sound/0ctl $
    > ls -FC /dev/sound0ctl
    > /dev/sound0ctl: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden

    Oops, sorry ..

    /dev/sound0ctl: File or Directory not found

    > There's esdctl and esdmon, which might be candidates, but from Linux
    > experience I know sound is a very delicate thing that I don't want to
    > break before I get started.
    >
    > Any help is appreciated.

  3. Re: sound on a SunBlade 1000

    On Apr 24, 3:40 am, "Charles T. Smith" wrote:
    > On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 12:37:58 +0200, Charles T. Smith wrote:
    > > Is there a short course or HOWTO for setting up sound on a sparc?

    Already setup. Defaults to speaker

    > > I have Solar 10 (and 9) on a SunBlade 1000. I tried to listen to a clip
    > > on mozilla, with the window x-ed onto my linux box and my headphones
    > > plugged into the blade. No sound. This after a standard, relatively
    > > problem-free install (after the x-th re-install
    > > man -k mix yielded mixerctl, which yielded:
    > > device /dev/audioctl - Access denied
    > > Before starting mozilla as root, I checked around and noticed:
    > > $ ls -l /dev/audioctl
    > > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Mar 19 01:32 /dev/audioctl -> sound/0ctl $
    > > ls -FC /dev/sound0ctl
    > > /dev/sound0ctl: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden

    Wus?
    > Oops, sorry
    > /dev/sound0ctl: File or Directory not found

    I dont see how it couldnt be there unless someone deleted it.

    > > There's esdctl and esdmon, which might be candidates, but from Linux
    > > experience I know sound is a very delicate thing that I don't want to
    > > break before I get started.

    Maybe devfsadm would help.

  4. Re: sound on a SunBlade 1000

    In comp.sys.sun.apps Charles T. Smith wrote:

    > Oops, sorry ..
    >
    > /dev/sound0ctl: File or Directory not found

    That's no solaris error message. What OS are you running?

    Martin

    --
    "For the Snark's a peculiar creature, that won't
    Be caught in a commonplace way.

  5. Re: sound on a SunBlade 1000

    On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 10:57:41 +0000, Martin Etteldorf wrote:

    > In comp.sys.sun.apps Charles T. Smith wrote:
    >
    >> Oops, sorry ..
    >>
    >> /dev/sound0ctl: File or Directory not found

    > That's no solaris error message. What OS are you running?
    >

    > Martin

    It's Solaris (10) (translated from the German):

    >> ls -FC /dev/sound0ctl
    >> /dev/sound0ctl: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden

    >Oops, sorry ..
    >
    > /dev/sound0ctl: File or Directory not found

  6. Re: sound on a SunBlade 1000

    In comp.sys.sun.apps Charles T. Smith wrote:
    > On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 10:57:41 +0000, Martin Etteldorf wrote:
    >
    >> In comp.sys.sun.apps Charles T. Smith wrote:
    >>
    >>> Oops, sorry ..
    >>>
    >>> /dev/sound0ctl: File or Directory not found

    >> That's no solaris error message. What OS are you running?
    >>

    >> Martin

    > It's Solaris (10) (translated from the German):

    The Solaris 10 error message would have been
    "/dev/sound0ctl: No such file or directory"

    How dou you expect people to help you if you don't even
    quote the error message right?

    Martin

    --
    "For the Snark's a peculiar creature, that won't
    Be caught in a commonplace way.
    Do all that you know, and try all that you don't;
    Not a chance must be wasted to-day!"

  7. Re: sound on a SunBlade 1000

    On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 11:50:32 +0000, Martin Etteldorf wrote:

    > In comp.sys.sun.apps Charles T. Smith wrote:

    >>> That's no solaris error message. What OS are you running?
    >>>

    >>> Martin

    >> It's Solaris (10) (translated from the German):

    > The Solaris 10 error message would have been "/dev/sound0ctl: No such file
    > or directory"
    >
    > How dou you expect people to help you if you don't even quote the error
    > message right?
    >

    > Martin

    You're kidding, right?

  8. Re: sound on a SunBlade 1000

    On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 15:35:01 -0700, gerryt wrote:

    > On Apr 24, 3:40 am, "Charles T. Smith" wrote:
    >> On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 12:37:58 +0200, Charles T. Smith wrote:
    >> > Is there a short course or HOWTO for setting up sound on a sparc?

    > Already setup. Defaults to speaker

    Hmmm. I don't see any speaker grill or volume control ... I bought this
    thing used - there's no mention of a speaker in the Sun Blade 1000
    "Getting Started Guide". Maybe they're in the screen and keyboard (which
    I don't have)?

    >> > I have Solar 10 (and 9) on a SunBlade 1000. I tried to listen to a
    >> > clip on mozilla, with the window x-ed onto my linux box and my
    >> > headphones plugged into the blade. No sound. This after a standard,
    >> > relatively problem-free install (after the x-th re-install man -k
    >> > mix yielded mixerctl, which yielded:
    >> > device /dev/audioctl - Access denied
    >> > Before starting mozilla as root, I checked around and noticed: $ ls
    >> > -l /dev/audioctl
    >> > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Mar 19 01:32 /dev/audioctl ->
    >> > sound/0ctl $ ls -FC /dev/sound0ctl
    >> > /dev/sound0ctl: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden

    > Wus?
    >> Oops, sorry
    >> /dev/sound0ctl: File or Directory not found

    > I dont see how it couldnt be there unless someone deleted it.
    >
    >> > There's esdctl and esdmon, which might be candidates, but from Linux
    >> > experience I know sound is a very delicate thing that I don't want to
    >> > break before I get started.

    > Maybe devfsadm would help.

    Oh, I didn't know about that command, thank you.

    In this case, though, it didn't help ....

    # devfsadm -v
    devfsadm[775]: verbose: removing file: /dev/usb/mass-storage0
    devfsadm[775]: verbose: removing file: /dev/usb/ea0.2168/0/devstat
    devfsadm[775]: verbose: removing file: /dev/usb/ea0.2168/0/cntrl0
    devfsadm[775]: verbose: removing file: /dev/usb/ea0.2168/0/cntrl0stat
    devfsadm[775]: verbose: removing file: /dev/usb/ea0.2168/0/if0in1
    devfsadm[775]: verbose: removing file: /dev/usb/ea0.2168/0/if0in1stat
    devfsadm[775]: verbose: removing file: /dev/usb/ea0.2168/0/if0out2
    devfsadm[775]: verbose: removing file: /dev/usb/ea0.2168/0/if0out2stat
    devfsadm[775]: verbose: removing file: /dev/usb/ea0.2168/0/if0in3
    devfsadm[775]: verbose: removing file: /dev/usb/ea0.2168/0/if0in3stat

    Hmmm. I guess I'm stuck.

  9. Re: sound on a SunBlade 1000

    Charles T. Smith wrote:
    > Is there a short course or HOWTO for setting up sound on a sparc?
    >
    > I have Solar 10 (and 9) on a SunBlade 1000. I tried to listen to a clip
    > on mozilla, with the window x-ed onto my linux box and my headphones
    > plugged into the blade. No sound. This after a standard, relatively
    > problem-free install (after the x-th re-install
    >
    > man -k mix yielded mixerctl, which yielded:
    > device /dev/audioctl - Access denied
    >
    > Before starting mozilla as root, I checked around and noticed:
    >
    > $ ls -l /dev/audioctl
    > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Mar 19 01:32 /dev/audioctl -> sound/0ctl
    > $ ls -FC /dev/sound0ctl
    > /dev/sound0ctl: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden

    You missed the slash between sound and 0ctl.
    ls -l /dev/sound/0ctl will show the real device.

    > There's esdctl and esdmon, which might be candidates, but from Linux
    > experience I know sound is a very delicate thing that I don't want to
    > break before I get started.
    >
    > Any help is appreciated.

  10. Re: sound on a SunBlade 1000

    On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 15:51:45 +0200, Frank Langelage wrote:

    > Charles T. Smith wrote:
    >> Is there a short course or HOWTO for setting up sound on a sparc?
    >>
    >> I have Solar 10 (and 9) on a SunBlade 1000. I tried to listen to a clip
    >> on mozilla, with the window x-ed onto my linux box and my headphones
    >> plugged into the blade. No sound. This after a standard, relatively
    >> problem-free install (after the x-th re-install
    >>
    >> man -k mix yielded mixerctl, which yielded:
    >> device /dev/audioctl - Access denied
    >>
    >> Before starting mozilla as root, I checked around and noticed:
    >>
    >> $ ls -l /dev/audioctl
    >> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Mar 19 01:32 /dev/audioctl -> sound/0ctl $
    >> ls -FC /dev/sound0ctl
    >> /dev/sound0ctl: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden

    > You missed the slash between sound and 0ctl. ls -l /dev/sound/0ctl will
    > show the real device.

    Yikes! You're right!

    $ ls -l /dev/audioctl
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Mar 19 01:32 /dev/audioctl -> sound/0ctl

    $ ls -l /dev/sound/0ctl
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 63 Mar 19 01:32 /dev/sound/0ctl -> ../../devices/pci@8,700000/ebus@5/audio@1,200000:sound,audioctl

    Sorry for my clumsiness.

    BTW, I think I got the decisive tip on this in comp.unix.solaris:

    where I was instructed to do a "man logindevperm". I expect that studying
    this will get me there.

    Thanks all, for considering this.

  11. Re: sound on a SunBlade 1000

    On my Sun Blade 1000 running Solaris 9 here are all the devices:

    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 7 Jun 8 2006 /dev/audio -> sound/0
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Jun 8 2006 /dev/audioctl ->
    sound/0ctl
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 60 Jun 8 2006 /dev/sound/0 ->
    .../../devices/pci@8,700000/ebus@5/audio@1,200000:sound,audio
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 63 Jun 8 2006 /dev/sound/0ctl ->
    .../../devices/pci@8,700000/ebus@5/audio@1,200000:sound,audioctl

    I use RealPlayer 8 and the audio sounds great.

    The way the internal speaker is mounted the sound should be coming out the
    right side towards the front.

    Trinean

+ Reply to Thread