I'm running into some odd issues messing with Projects and
resource limits in Solaris 10.

The oddest thing.... is on any Solaris 10 box, if I turn
on syslogging for the resource limit stuff (using rctladm)
I see a ton of messages about things hitting the limit:
basic rctl process.max-file-descriptor (value 256)

In particular, nscd (the name service cache daemon) hits it
constantly.

So I've been trying to up the limits that nscd runs with, to
no avail.

I can find that its running under the "system" project, but
when I modify that project (either using projmod or directly
editing /etc/project) it doesn't seem to take affect. At
issue is the limit:
process.max-file-descriptor
basic 256 - deny 4475
privileged 65.5K - deny -
system 2.15G max deny

While modifying the priviledged limit seems to take effect,
the basic limit won't change.

My current setup has:

<04/19/07 tiki >> ls -al /etc/project
-rw-r--r-- 1 root sys 123 Apr 19 15:19 /etc/project
<04/19/07 tiki >> cat /etc/project
system:0:::rocess.max-file-descriptor=(basic,1024,deny)
user.root:1::::
noproject:2::::
default:3::::
group.staff:10::::
<04/19/07 tiki >> last -1 reboot
reboot system boot Thu Apr 19 15:24
<04/19/07 tiki >> ps -ef -o "pid,comm,project" | grep nscd
> prctl -n process.max-file-descriptor 129
process: 129: /usr/sbin/nscd
NAME PRIVILEGE VALUE FLAG ACTION RECIPIENT
process.max-file-descriptor
basic 256 - deny 129
privileged 65.5K - deny -
system 2.15G max deny

Where is that 256 limit coming from?

I'm seeing other issues, and they seem to be related. In particular,
while I can easily mess with the priviledged limits, if there are
any basic limits.... I'm stymied.

Any ideas?

--
Scott Wilson Lead System Administrator