Booting from dvdrom on T1000 - SUN

This is a discussion on Booting from dvdrom on T1000 - SUN ; Hi, I'm having some troubles with booting from a dvd drive attached to my T1000. The machine has the PCI-E Dual Channel Ultra320 SCSI HBA, and chained off that are an S1 storage array with two disks in it, and ...

  1. Booting from dvdrom on T1000

    Hi,

    I'm having some troubles with booting from a dvd drive attached to my
    T1000. The machine has the PCI-E Dual Channel Ultra320 SCSI HBA, and
    chained off that are an S1 storage array with two disks in it, and from
    there a DVD-ROM which I pulled from a Sunfire 280R.

    I can see the DVD drive from Solaris, and I can see it when I do a
    probe-scsi-all. What I can't do is get it to boot from this thing. I
    think this is probably a problem with the path spec, but I can't figure out
    what I should be using, so some help would be greatly appreciated.

    The DVD is on target 5:

    {0} ok probe-scsi-all
    /pci@7c0/pci@0/pci@8/scsi@2

    MPT Version 1.05, Firmware Version 1.10.00.00

    Target 0
    Unit 0 Disk ATA HITACHI HDS7280SA6CA 156301488 Blocks, 80 GB
    SATA device PhyNum 0

    /pci@780/pci@0/scsi@8,1

    /pci@780/pci@0/scsi@8
    Target 5
    Unit 0 Removable Read Only device TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-M14011009
    Target 9
    Unit 0 Disk SEAGATE ST318305LSUN18G 0340 35378533 Blocks, 17274 MB
    Target a
    Unit 0 Disk SEAGATE ST318305LSUN18G 0340 35378533 Blocks, 17274 MB

    {0} ok

    From the solaris prompt I can see the devices for it:

    sun 6% ls -l /devices/pci@780/pci@0/scsi@8
    total 6
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root sys 512 Apr 19 14:29 sd@5,0
    brw-r----- 1 root sys 32, 56 Apr 19 16:36 sd@5,0:a
    crw-r----- 1 root sys 32, 56 Apr 19 16:26 sd@5,0:a,raw
    brw-r----- 1 root sys 32, 57 Apr 19 16:36 sd@5,0:b
    crw-r----- 1 root sys 32, 57 Apr 19 16:26 sd@5,0:b,raw
    brw-r----- 1 root sys 32, 58 Apr 19 16:36 sd@5,0:c
    crw-r----- 1 root sys 32, 58 Apr 19 16:26 sd@5,0:c,raw
    brw-r----- 1 root sys 32, 59 Apr 19 16:36 sd@5,0:d
    crw-r----- 1 root sys 32, 59 Apr 19 16:26 sd@5,0:d,raw
    brw-r----- 1 root sys 32, 60 Apr 19 16:36 sd@5,0:e
    crw-r----- 1 root sys 32, 60 Apr 19 16:26 sd@5,0:e,raw
    brw-r----- 1 root sys 32, 61 Apr 19 16:36 sd@5,0:f
    crw-r----- 1 root sys 32, 61 Apr 19 16:26 sd@5,0:f,raw
    brw-r----- 1 root sys 32, 62 Apr 19 16:36 sd@5,0:g
    crw-r----- 1 root sys 32, 62 Apr 19 16:26 sd@5,0:g,raw
    brw-r----- 1 root sys 32, 63 Apr 19 16:36 sd@5,0:h
    crw-r----- 1 root sys 32, 63 Apr 19 16:26 sd@5,0:h,raw
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root sys 512 Apr 19 14:29 sd@9,0
    brw-r----- 1 root sys 32, 88 Apr 19 16:36 sd@9,0:a
    crw-r----- 1 root sys 32, 88 Apr 19 16:36 sd@9,0:a,raw

    I had thought the correct devalias at the OBP would be
    /pci@780/pci@0/scsi@8/sd@5,0:f but this doesn't work for me:

    {0} ok boot cdrom
    Boot device: /pci@780/pci@0/scsi@8/sd@5,0:f File and args:

    Can't locate boot device

    When I do a show-devs I see the following:

    /pci@780/pci@0
    /pci@780/pci@0/scsi@8,1
    /pci@780/pci@0/scsi@8
    /pci@780/pci@0/scsi@8,1/tape
    /pci@780/pci@0/scsi@8,1/disk
    /pci@780/pci@0/scsi@8/tape
    /pci@780/pci@0/scsi@8/disk

    Is there something obvious I have missed here?

    --
    Dr Tristram J. Scott
    Energy Consultant

  2. Re: Booting from dvdrom on T1000

    Tristram Scott wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm having some troubles with booting from a dvd drive attached to my
    > T1000. The machine has the PCI-E Dual Channel Ultra320 SCSI HBA, and
    > chained off that are an S1 storage array with two disks in it, and from
    > there a DVD-ROM which I pulled from a Sunfire 280R.
    >
    > I can see the DVD drive from Solaris, and I can see it when I do a
    > probe-scsi-all. What I can't do is get it to boot from this thing. I
    > think this is probably a problem with the path spec, but I can't figure out
    > what I should be using, so some help would be greatly appreciated.

    Okay, so after a while I gave up and placed a call to Sun. The engineer
    seemed to think I had asked all the correct questions of the OBP, and went
    away to think a bit. The answer has now come back:

    Can you please try using the following path;

    /pci@780/pci@0/scsi@8/disk@5,0:f

    (The DVD-ROM is on ID 5.)

    This has worked for me, so thanks to Sun UK and the engineer in question.

    --
    Dr Tristram J. Scott
    Energy Consultant

+ Reply to Thread