Adding a device alias - SUN

This is a discussion on Adding a device alias - SUN ; I have a sparc 4 workstation that i installed a fast ethernet card into. It works. The problem is that it uses a hme interface and the application that i'm running only uses a le interface. Is there anyway of ...

  1. Adding a device alias

    I have a sparc 4 workstation that i installed a fast ethernet card
    into. It works. The problem is that it uses a hme interface and the
    application that i'm running only uses a le interface. Is there anyway
    of making the hme interface be seen as le1.

  2. Re: Adding a device alias

    On 18 Apr., 16:32, Nekomax wrote:
    > I have a sparc 4 workstation that i installed a fast ethernet card
    > into. It works. The problem is that it uses a hme interface and the
    > application that i'm running only uses a le interface. Is there anyway
    > of making the hme interface be seen as le1.

    This does not make sense. The "le", "hme", "eri", "qfe" stand for
    different device drivers. Aliasing an hme device with an le name will
    only create confusion for man and machine.

    I wonder what application it is that even *looks* at the interface
    type installed.

    Maybe you just want to use hme0 as your primary interface? This is
    easily accomplished by renaming /etc/hostname.le0 to /etc/
    hostname.hme0

    Othmar

+ Reply to Thread