Method "/lib/svc/method/net-physical" failed: Solaris 10 - SUN

This is a discussion on Method "/lib/svc/method/net-physical" failed: Solaris 10 - SUN ; Hello, [svc:/network/physical:default (physical network interfaces)] This morning, when changing ip address (1 out of 4 interfaces) of one of my solaris 10 machine, the machine rebooted with following message: svc.startd[7]: svc:/network/physical:default: Method "/lib/svc/method/ net-physical" failed with exit status 96. [ ...

  1. Method "/lib/svc/method/net-physical" failed: Solaris 10

    Hello,

    [svc:/network/physical:default (physical network interfaces)]

    This morning, when changing ip address (1 out of 4 interfaces) of one
    of my solaris 10 machine, the machine rebooted with following
    message:

    svc.startd[7]: svc:/network/physical:default: Method "/lib/svc/method/
    net-physical" failed with exit status 96.
    [ network/physical:default misconfigured (see 'svcs -x' for details) ]

    And they are not reachable from the network. When I ran svcs -x, it
    complained about 7 dependent services for being offline.

    svc:/network/physical:default (physical network interfaces)
    State: maintenance since Wed Apr xx.xx
    Reason: Start method exited with $SMF_EXIT_ERR_CONFIG.
    See: http://sun.com/msg/SMF-8000-KS
    See: ifconfig(1M)
    See: /etc/svc/volatile/network-physical:default.log
    Impact: 7 dependent services are not running. (Use -v for list.)

    The output of svcs -v says that svc:/network/physical:default is in
    maintenace more.

    maintenance - xx:xx:xx - svc:/network/
    physical:default

    Similarly, here the /etc/svc/volatile/network-physical:default.log
    says

    [ xx:xx Enabled. ]
    [ xx:xx Executing start method ("/lib/svc/method/net-physical") ]
    [ xx:xx Timeout override by svc.startd. Using infinite timeout ]
    configuring IPv4 interfaces: bge0 bge1 bge2 bge3.
    add net default: gateway xx.xx.xx.4: Network is unreachable
    [ xx:xx Method "start" exited with status 96 ]

    How do I get this svc working? What am I missing here?

    TIA

    --
    Raqueeb Hassan
    Bangladesh

  2. Re: Method "/lib/svc/method/net-physical" failed: Solaris 10

    > [ xx:xx Enabled. ]
    > [ xx:xx Executing start method ("/lib/svc/method/net-physical") ]
    > [ xx:xx Timeout override by svc.startd. Using infinite timeout ]
    > configuring IPv4 interfaces: bge0 bge1 bge2 bge3.
    > add net default: gateway xx.xx.xx.4: Network is unreachable
    > [ xx:xx Method "start" exited with status 96 ]

    Raqueeb.

    You mentioned that you had changed the ip address of one of the
    interfaces. Is this the interface which has the default gateway on
    it? It appears that maybe you changed which subnet the interface is
    on and now the default gateway cannot be configured.

    > add net default: gateway xx.xx.xx.4: Network is unreachable

    I'm still trying to come up to speed on the solaris 10
    initialization process so I'm no expert but it was not clear from your
    post if you looked into the default gateway error message or not.

    HTH.

    > How do I get this svc working? What am I missing here?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > --
    > Raqueeb Hassan
    > Bangladesh

  3. Re: Method "/lib/svc/method/net-physical" failed: Solaris 10

    can you please list the operation you did to change the ip ...
    maybe you did somthing wrong,
    by the way today i did the same thing' change the ip of one machine
    and i got the same error.
    a reboot solved my problem ...
    was the interface configured with dhcp before you changed the ip?
    did you switch a subnet??

  4. Re: Method "/lib/svc/method/net-physical" failed: Solaris 10

    Thanks for the reply. Well, I saw that error message regarding the
    gateway. Well, before changing the ip address, I tried to disable the
    nfs service, when I mistakenly issued the command "svcadm disable
    network". Should it shutdown all the services in svc:/network/*
    hierchy?

    > It appears that maybe you changed which subnet the interface is
    > on and now the default gateway cannot be configured.
    >
    > > add net default: gateway xx.xx.xx.4: Network is unreachable

    I did not use dhcp, and the subnet is okay here. I edited the /etc/
    hosts and /etc/inet/ipnodes and created the corresponding
    hostname.bgeX.

    eli.sapiashv...@gmail.com replied:

    --
    Raqueeb Hassan
    Bangladesh

  5. Re: Method "/lib/svc/method/net-physical" failed: Solaris 10

    Raqueeb Hassan writes:
    > > It appears that maybe you changed which subnet the interface is
    > > on and now the default gateway cannot be configured.
    > >
    > > > add net default: gateway xx.xx.xx.4: Network is unreachable

    > I did not use dhcp, and the subnet is okay here. I edited the /etc/
    > hosts and /etc/inet/ipnodes and created the corresponding
    > hostname.bgeX.

    You likely missed the /etc/defaultrouter file.

    --
    James Carlson, Solaris Networking