Query about Sun Support in UK - SUN

This is a discussion on Query about Sun Support in UK - SUN ; Hello all, In the nearest future I will have to buy some systems for my business in UK. I am familiar with Sun hardware and software but I have no knowledge about support which is provided by Sun. May I ...

  1. Query about Sun Support in UK

    Hello all,

    In the nearest future I will have to buy some systems for my business
    in UK. I am familiar with Sun hardware and software but I have no
    knowledge about support which is provided by Sun.

    May I ask you for any comments, your experiences with support given by
    Sun? Any information is appreciated, it may help me with choosing
    company which will provide me the IT infrastructure.

    Thanks!

  2. Re: Query about Sun Support in UK

    On Apr 18, 9:22 am, John wrote:

    > May I ask you for any comments, your experiences with support given by
    > Sun? Any information is appreciated, it may help me with choosing
    > company which will provide me the IT infrastructure.

    People will badmouth them of course, and I think they are not as good
    as they were as lots of people got laid off etc. However my experience
    (this is for contract support) is that their main problem is that they
    will lose track of what systems & contracts you have with gleeful
    abandon. The solution to this is to make sure that you *know* what
    you have and what is on support and to be willing to be absolutely
    definite to them that a box is on support. That being done, then they
    are actually pretty good at fixing things, and they do generally
    understand that you need boxes to be running etc: they are up to the
    "we have a 4 hour window to fix this box starting at 3AM thing" (if
    Software is harder of course. All this is by comparison with various
    other vendors I've dealt with, who typically are worse (although often
    better at knowing what kit you have).

    Sunsolve is going through a grim patch and I hope they do something
    about that, docs.sun.com likewise. The patch tools are a horror, but
    PCA is good and free: I hope that Sun at some point realise that they
    need to just pay the PCA person some consultancy and provide PCA as a
    Sun-supported offering.

    --tim

+ Reply to Thread