missing tape drive - SUN

This is a discussion on missing tape drive - SUN ; All, hopefully this is not an obvious question, but I cannot see my scsi tape drive from my Solaris 9 install on my v890, yet from the OBP it shows up in probe-scsi-all and when I boot to cdrom -s ...

  1. missing tape drive

    All,

    hopefully this is not an obvious question, but I cannot see my scsi tape
    drive from my Solaris 9 install on my v890, yet from the OBP it shows up
    in probe-scsi-all and when I boot to cdrom -s I can see it (/dev/rmt/0)
    and use it without problem.

    I have tried a touch /reconfigure, a reboot -- -r, devfsadm, devfsadm
    -C, boot -r all of which does not get the drive working all I get froma
    mt /dev/rmt/0 status is /dev/rmt/0n: No such file or directory.

    Please help as I know the obp and cdrom can see it.....

    Thanks
    Paul

  2. Re: missing tape drive

    On 2007-04-15 21:08:52 +0100, me said:

    > I have tried a touch /reconfigure, a reboot -- -r, devfsadm, devfsadm
    > -C, boot -r all of which does not get the drive working all I get froma
    > mt /dev/rmt/0 status is /dev/rmt/0n: No such file or directory.

    Does it exist as some other drive number?

  3. Re: missing tape drive

    Tim Bradshaw wrote:
    > On 2007-04-15 21:08:52 +0100, me said:
    >>
    >> I have tried a touch /reconfigure, a reboot -- -r, devfsadm, devfsadm
    >> -C, boot -r all of which does not get the drive working all I get
    >> froma mt /dev/rmt/0 status is /dev/rmt/0n: No such file or directory.

    > Does it exist as some other drive number?

    thanks for your reply I have tried drive numbers 0 to 9 and all say the
    same.

  4. Re: missing tape drive

    me wrote:
    > All,
    >
    > hopefully this is not an obvious question, but I cannot see my scsi tape
    > drive from my Solaris 9 install on my v890, yet from the OBP it shows up
    > in probe-scsi-all and when I boot to cdrom -s I can see it (/dev/rmt/0)
    > and use it without problem.

    The drive may not be supported by the built in st driver. You may
    have to add it to st.conf manually, and reboot (if memory serves)
    before the system will recognize the drive.

    I went through this a while back with a Quantum DLT-S4.

    Regards.

    David Mathog

  5. Re: missing tape drive

    David Mathog wrote:
    > me wrote:
    >> All,
    >>
    >> hopefully this is not an obvious question, but I cannot see my scsi
    >> tape drive from my Solaris 9 install on my v890, yet from the OBP it
    >> shows up in probe-scsi-all and when I boot to cdrom -s I can see it
    >> (/dev/rmt/0) and use it without problem.

    > The drive may not be supported by the built in st driver. You may
    > have to add it to st.conf manually, and reboot (if memory serves)
    > before the system will recognize the drive.
    >
    > I went through this a while back with a Quantum DLT-S4.
    >
    > Regards.
    >
    > David Mathog

    HELP I know I could previously access the tape drive from a cdrom -s now
    I cannot, I have enve changed to a DLT 8000 and get the same no OS can
    see it. But I know it WAS working.

    I have tried devfsadm and even tapes but nothing seems to recreate the
    tape drive.

    Please help someone....

    Paul

  6. Re: missing tape drive

    me wrote:
    > David Mathog wrote:
    >> me wrote:
    >>> All,
    >>>
    >>> hopefully this is not an obvious question, but I cannot see my scsi
    >>> tape drive from my Solaris 9 install on my v890, yet from the OBP it
    >>> shows up in probe-scsi-all

    that shows it's attached electrically

    >>> and when I boot to cdrom -s I can see it
    >>> (/dev/rmt/0) and use it without problem.

    which cdrom are you using? Is that cdrom newer than the OS on your
    server? If so, perhaps it has an st entry for the drive. Or maybe it's
    the other way, is the drive old and maybe they have dropped it from st
    support?

    >> The drive may not be supported by the built in st driver. You may
    >> have to add it to st.conf manually, and reboot (if memory serves)
    >> before the system will recognize the drive.

    > HELP I know I could previously access the tape drive from a cdrom -s now
    > I cannot,

    Are you booting from the same CD?

    > I have enve changed to a DLT 8000 and get the same no OS can
    > see it. But I know it WAS working.

    You lost me, what type of drive was the original?
    Did you put some other device on the same SCSI chain?
    Can you move the drive to some other system to verify that it is fully
    functional?
    If it's a quantum drive try using their DLTSage utility to talk to it.

    > I have tried devfsadm and even tapes but nothing seems to recreate the
    > tape drive.

    That's exactly what happens if there is no entry for it in the built in
    st driver or st.conf.

    Regards,

    David Mathog

  7. Re: missing tape drive

    On 2007-04-18 15:55:52 +0100, me said:

    > HELP I know I could previously access the tape drive from a cdrom -s
    > now I cannot, I have enve changed to a DLT 8000 and get the same no OS
    > can see it. But I know it WAS working.

    OK, so can you see the SCSI device at all (probe-scsi etc from OBP).

  8. Re: missing tape drive

    Tim Bradshaw wrote:
    > On 2007-04-18 15:55:52 +0100, me said:
    >
    >> HELP I know I could previously access the tape drive from a cdrom -s
    >> now I cannot, I have enve changed to a DLT 8000 and get the same no OS
    >> can see it. But I know it WAS working.

    > OK, so can you see the SCSI device at all (probe-scsi etc from OBP).

    yes I can see it from probe-scsi-all and have found that when I move the
    card to another server the issues follows the card.

    strange that the card works at the obp level but not the OS level.

    Cheers

  9. Re: missing tape drive

    me wrote:
    > Tim Bradshaw wrote:
    >> On 2007-04-18 15:55:52 +0100, me said:
    >>
    >>> HELP I know I could previously access the tape drive from a cdrom -s
    >>> now I cannot, I have enve changed to a DLT 8000 and get the same no
    >>> OS can see it. But I know it WAS working.

    >> OK, so can you see the SCSI device at all (probe-scsi etc from OBP).
    >>

    > yes I can see it from probe-scsi-all and have found that when I move the
    > card to another server the issues follows the card.
    >
    > strange that the card works at the obp level but not the OS level.

    Wrong or missing Solaris driver for the SCSI card?

    Do you have a SCSI disk around that you can plug into the card? If the
    can OS see it probably isn't the card driver. If it can't see the disk
    either then "st" is not the issue.

    I have seen one bad Sun dual Ultra320 SCSI host adapter, it wouldn't
    see devices reliably, but it did see some of them.

    If there's a driver for it you might try the SCSI adapter in a linux
    box, if it works there you can eliminate hardware issues with the adapter.

    Regards,

    David Mathog

  10. Re: missing tape drive

    On 2007-04-19 12:31:10 +0100, me said:

    > yes I can see it from probe-scsi-all and have found that when I move
    > the card to another server the issues follows the card.

    Broken card or perhaps cables (more likely, but only if you used the
    same ones. Connectors also can be a problem.

  11. Re: missing tape drive

    David Mathog wrote:
    > me wrote:
    >> Tim Bradshaw wrote:

    >>> OK, so can you see the SCSI device at all (probe-scsi etc from OBP).
    >>>

    >> yes I can see it from probe-scsi-all and have found that when I move
    >> the card to another server the issues follows the card.
    >>
    >> strange that the card works at the obp level but not the OS level.

    > Wrong or missing Solaris driver for the SCSI card?
    >
    > Do you have a SCSI disk around that you can plug into the card? If the
    > can OS see it probably isn't the card driver. If it can't see the disk
    > either then "st" is not the issue.
    >
    > I have seen one bad Sun dual Ultra320 SCSI host adapter, it wouldn't
    > see devices reliably, but it did see some of them.
    >
    > If there's a driver for it you might try the SCSI adapter in a linux
    > box, if it works there you can eliminate hardware issues with the adapter.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > David Mathog

    the card in question is a Sun Micro systems Inc - 3753057167160 and its
    a two port LVD rebranded qlogic card. (qla10162). which is supported in
    Sol9, I've even used sol10 but with the same results.

    I am concluding it's the card ( but it's strange as I used it recently
    to restore 70GB's of data and then seconds late it breaks ) !.

    Thanks for everyones help/suggestions.

+ Reply to Thread