ufsdump - fails to function - SUN

This is a discussion on ufsdump - fails to function - SUN ; For several years, I've used an automated script that calls ufsdump(1M) to do regular backups of my important filesystems. It has never burped, or errored. Suddenly, about two weeks ago, the ufsdump command within the script itself fails to operate ...

  1. ufsdump - fails to function

    For several years, I've used an automated script that calls ufsdump(1M)
    to do regular backups of my important filesystems. It has never
    burped, or errored. Suddenly, about two weeks ago, the ufsdump command
    within the script itself fails to operate properly. To debug, I run it
    by hand.. and when I do.. say using..

    ufsdump 0fu /dev/rmt/0hn /

    .. to back up / to tape.. ufsdump starts to run .. continuously uses
    CPU .. but never actually writes anything do the tape drive. My first
    guess was that the tape drive was out to lunch, however, subsequent
    testing with other commands manipulated (wrote-to and read-from) the
    drive properly. Bizarre.

    So, then I tried:

    ufsdump 0fu /home/root.dump /

    The same thing happens: ufsdump hogs a CPU, but the archive file
    (/home/root.dump) is never even created much less filled. I've left
    the process running for a full day's worth of CPU -- no output, no
    nothing.. just hangs there. Easily killed with ^C, ^\ or kill -9..

    I am baffled.

    The only thing that's changed in the last few weeks is that I applied a
    patch to correctly set my system clock for the "Daylight Savings Time"
    parameters. (This involved compiling some stuff, and placing a new
    timezone file in /usr/share/lib/zoneinfo).. I just don't see how this
    could have affected ufsdump in this manner. I haven't tried backing
    out the clock change.. [perhaps I should].

    Other information: I am running Solaris 2.7 on a Ultra 2 with dual
    CPUs.

    Any advice or thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!

    --
    Jeff986
    Jeff986's Profile: http://unixadmintalk.com/1575

  2. Re: ufsdump - fails to function

    On Mar 30, 2:05 am, Jeff986
    wrote:
    > For several years, I've used an automated script that calls ufsdump(1M)

    > The only thing that's changed in the last few weeks is that I applied a
    > patch to correctly set my system clock for the "Daylight Savings Time"

    I remember, a few months ago my ufsdump, fsck, and quot stopped
    working
    properly. After applying several patches, they were back to normal
    again.
    Look for patches with the "ufs" keyword.

    I can not be more precise because I lost my old notes, sorry.

    Othmar

  3. Re: ufsdump - fails to function

    On Mar 29, 7:05 pm, Jeff986
    wrote:
    > The only thing that's changed in the last few weeks is that I applied a
    > patch to correctly set my system clock for the "Daylight Savings Time"
    > parameters. (This involved compiling some stuff, and placing a new
    > timezone file in /usr/share/lib/zoneinfo).. I just don't see how this
    > could have affected ufsdump in this manner. I haven't tried backing
    > out the clock change.. [perhaps I should].

    If the uptime on the box is over a year, bounce it. I've seen this
    happen before and it's not worth the time to troubleshoot; one bounce
    and everything is normal again.

    Also, there's no reason you should be on Sol7; go up to sol9.

+ Reply to Thread