Not getting Solaris 8 acting as a router between my two NICs - SUN

This is a discussion on Not getting Solaris 8 acting as a router between my two NICs - SUN ; Greetings! Well, I have been spending a little time (what little home time I have) trying to see whether I could get my newly installed Solaris 8, on the larger hard disk (disk1) playing the role of a router. I ...

  1. Not getting Solaris 8 acting as a router between my two NICs

    Greetings!

    Well, I have been spending a little time (what little home time I
    have) trying to see whether I could get my newly installed Solaris 8, on
    the larger hard disk (disk1) playing the role of a router.

    I have the three Solaris 8 System Administration manuals, and it
    looks like it can be. But, I've not been successful at getting it.

    Here is the netstat -nr when I've booted off of disk0 (the smaller
    hard drive, which I will get rid of when I can get the system properly set
    up and configured on the larger hard drive):

    <<>>
    Routing Table: IPv4
    Destination Gateway Flags Ref Use Interface
    -------------------- -------------------- ----- ----- ------ ---------
    192.168.0.0 192.168.0.201 U 1 1 hme0
    192.168.2.0 192.168.2.2 U 1 1 hme1
    224.0.0.0 192.168.0.201 U 1 0 hme0
    default 192.168.0.1 UG 1 3
    127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 UH 2 23 lo0
    <<>>

    And, here is netstat -nr when I boot off of disk1:

    <<>>
    Routing Table: IPv4
    Destination Gateway Flags Ref Use Interface
    -------------------- -------------------- ----- ----- ------ ---------
    192.168.0.0 192.168.0.201 U 1 1 hme0
    192.168.2.0 192.168.2.2 U 1 1 hme1
    224.0.0.0 192.168.0.201 U 1 0 hme0
    default 192.168.0.1 UG 1 2
    127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 UH 13 354 lo0
    <<>>

    The addresses and flags are identical. But, my Linux system will not
    get anything off the Internet when I see this.

    (My Linux system is on the hme1 Network Interface Card. The firewall
    and cable modem are on the hme0 NIC.)

    In 2003, when I first installed Solaris 8 on this Sun, I wound up
    installing an IP Filter that also involved setting up a NAT (table and
    list, etc.). I believe I will just get this installed again, and proceed.
    The Sun has worked PERFECTLY since 2003, and I really am happy with it.
    (I just wanted a larger hard drive, which I now have.)

    I believe I'll just find (again) and install this, and proceed. In
    my very limited time, I haven't been able to figure out why it isn't
    behaving as a router -- at least, my Linux system can't access web pages,
    the NTP Internet hosts don't connect, etc.

    I suspect I'm going to have at least two or three weeks, effective
    any day now, where I am once again not going to have any free home time to
    work on this. And, I need to get it configured to boot off of disk1
    before the second Sunday of March, because the patches to have the DST
    clock correct for as they are this year (2007) I have, but I'll apply them
    when I am booting and running all the time off of disk1.

    I'm just posting this as a last-ditch effort. If anyone knows what
    likely silly thing I'm missing or overlooking and cares to share that,
    that would be wonderful! :-) But, I am going to proceed to place the NAT
    software back on it, so I can set up the two users, configure sendmail,
    and proceed.

    Thank you!

    Barry
    --
    Barry L. Bond | http://home.cfl.rr.com/os9barry/
    Software Engineer, ITT Corporation | (My personal home web page, last

  2. Re: Not getting Solaris 8 acting as a router between my two NICs

    barry@barrycon.cfl.rr.com (Barry L. Bond) writes:
    > Well, I have been spending a little time (what little home time I
    > have) trying to see whether I could get my newly installed Solaris 8, on
    > the larger hard disk (disk1) playing the role of a router.

    Unfortunately, due to the games marketers play, the word "router" has
    become slightly ambiguous.

    Do you want the system to forward packets; that is, behave like a
    normal router? If so, then you'll want to do this:

    ndd -set /dev/ip ip_forwarding 1

    Put that in a custom script in /etc/rc3.d, and you should be all set.
    Note that creating a non-empty /etc/defaultrouter file on the system
    will cause the default setting for IP forwarding to be "off." It's
    assumed that a system using static routing doesn't know how to route
    properly unless manually configured otherwise.

    Do you want the system to be a NAT; that is, behave like a
    "home/office router" in marketingese? If so, then you'll need to set
    up something like IP Filter or SunScreen.

    (For what it's worth, Solaris 8 is pretty old now. I'd suggest at
    least considering an upgrade.)

    > I believe I'll just find (again) and install this, and proceed. In
    > my very limited time, I haven't been able to figure out why it isn't
    > behaving as a router -- at least, my Linux system can't access web pages,
    > the NTP Internet hosts don't connect, etc.

    Snoop should be able to show where the packets are going.

    "netstat -s" will give you some useful statistics about IP forwarding.

    --
    James Carlson, Solaris Networking