Why Sun are doomed - SUN

This is a discussion on Why Sun are doomed - SUN ; We got some new machines today. In the way of things they came with power cables. These cables are *Revision 50*. Clearly, if Sun take 50 revisions to get a power cable right, there is no hope. (Insert here a ...

  1. Why Sun are doomed

    We got some new machines today. In the way of things they came with
    power cables. These cables are *Revision 50*. Clearly, if Sun take 50
    revisions to get a power cable right, there is no hope.

    (Insert here a whole long play one words about revisions, patches,
    patch cables...)

    --tim

    This is a JOKE in case anyone wonders.

  2. Re: Why Sun are doomed

    On 26 Jan 2007 03:57:44 -0800,
    Tim Bradshaw , in
    <1169812664.657446.227850@a75g2000cwd.googlegroups. com> wrote:
    >+ We got some new machines today. In the way of things they came with
    >+ power cables. These cables are *Revision 50*. Clearly, if Sun take 50
    >+ revisions to get a power cable right, there is no hope.

    This leaves one to wonder how many years those revisions cover. The
    variability of power cords can be staggering. I still treasure the
    long, fat Sun cords from the late 90s.

    >+ This is a JOKE in case anyone wonders.

    *snork*

    isn't looking good, either.

  3. Re: Why Sun are doomed

    On Fri, 26 Jan 2007, Tim Bradshaw wrote:

    > We got some new machines today. In the way of things they came with
    > power cables. These cables are *Revision 50*. Clearly, if Sun take 50
    > revisions to get a power cable right, there is no hope.

    I think you mis-understand Sun nomenclature. The revision to which
    you refer applies to marketing, not engineering (which is the number
    after the -). So part 370-1234-02 Rev 50 is the 2nd generation (from
    an engineering point of view) of part number 370-1234. The Rev 50
    just means that it took marketing 50 iterations to settle on "Sun Java
    Power Cord[tm]".

    :-)

    --
    Rich Teer, SCSA, SCNA, SCSECA, OpenSolaris CAB member

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

  4. Re: Why Sun are doomed

    Actually rev 50 in Sun nomenclature means First Customer Ship (FCS).
    So its actually the first version deemed acceptable to ship to
    customers.

    --
    Wayne Shaw Direct: 781-442-2152
    Sun Microsystems, Inc. Fax: 781-442-2246

  5. Re: Why Sun are doomed

    On 2007-01-26 17:59:26 +0000, Rich Teer said:
    > I think you mis-understand Sun nomenclature. The revision to which
    > you refer applies to marketing, not engineering (which is the number
    > after the -). So part 370-1234-02 Rev 50 is the 2nd generation (from
    > an engineering point of view) of part number 370-1234. The Rev 50
    > just means that it took marketing 50 iterations to settle on "Sun Java
    > Power Cord[tm]".

    And in the usual Sun-marketing-****up way they missed a trick here. No
    one wants Java power(ed) cords, they're big and slow and crash all the
    time. No, what we want is CoolThreads ... ah I mean CoolCords, sorry.

    (Though actually I don't think people who wear cords are ever cool are they).

    That's quite enough

    --tim

  6. Re: Why Sun are doomed

    I R A Darth Aggie writes:

    >On 26 Jan 2007 03:57:44 -0800,
    >Tim Bradshaw , in
    ><1169812664.657446.227850@a75g2000cwd.googlegroups. com> wrote:
    >>+ We got some new machines today. In the way of things they came with
    >>+ power cables. These cables are *Revision 50*. Clearly, if Sun take 50
    >>+ revisions to get a power cable right, there is no hope.

    >This leaves one to wonder how many years those revisions cover. The
    >variability of power cords can be staggering. I still treasure the
    >long, fat Sun cords from the late 90s.

    This will be Suns revision 51 power cables:

    http://www.lefflers.se/Library/Produ...ost/Brahma.htm

    List price: 16.800 SEK (divide by 8 to get a rough US price in dollars).

    Oh. Buy two, and you'll get a Sun Fire T1000 on the side!

    -Peter

    Peter Eriksson Phone: +46 13 28 2786
    Computer Systems Manager/BOFH Cell/GSM: +46 705 18 2786
    Physics Department, Linköping University Room: Building F, F203

  7. Re: Why Sun are doomed

    On Fri, 26 Jan 2007, Peter Eriksson wrote:

    > This will be Suns revision 51 power cables:
    >
    > http://www.lefflers.se/Library/Produ...ost/Brahma.htm

    Nordost... Very nice. I have one of their interconnects here
    (specifically, Blue Heaven).

    Nordost Valhalla, anyone?

    --
    Rich Teer, SCSA, SCNA, SCSECA, OpenSolaris CAB member

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

  8. Re: Why Sun are doomed

    On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 17:59:26 GMT,
    Rich Teer , in
    wrote:

    >+ an engineering point of view) of part number 370-1234. The Rev 50
    >+ just means that it took marketing 50 iterations to settle on "Sun Java
    >+ Power Cord[tm]".

    If Shakespeare where alive today, I think he might have wrote:

    First, we kill all the marketers.

    Tho lawyers still works in that context.

    isn't looking good, either.