LTO3 device names - SUN

This is a discussion on LTO3 device names - SUN ; Hello: I have installed on a Solaris 9 box an HP Ultrium 3 (G29D) tape drive. In /dev/rmt are the following device files: 0 0bn 0cb 0cn 0hb 0hn 0lb 0ln 0mb 0mn 0u 0ubn 0b 0c 0cbn 0h 0hbn ...

  1. LTO3 device names

    Hello:

    I have installed on a Solaris 9 box an HP Ultrium 3 (G29D) tape
    drive. In /dev/rmt are the following device files:

    0 0bn 0cb 0cn 0hb 0hn 0lb 0ln 0mb 0mn 0u 0ubn
    0b 0c 0cbn 0h 0hbn 0l 0lbn 0m 0mbn 0n 0ub 0un

    I'm trying to identify those various devices. Could someone point to
    a document explaining their properties or tell me which device to
    use in order to maximize storage on 400 GB (no compression) tapes ?

    Thanks.
    --
    ,
    /)

  2. Re: LTO3 device names

    # man -s 7I mtio

    <...>
    /dev/rmt/[][]

    Where density can be l, m, h, u/c (low, medium, high,
    ultra/compressed, respectively), the BSD behavior option is
    b, and the no rewind option is n.

    For example, /dev/rmt/0hbn specifies unit 0, high density,
    BSD behavior and no rewind.

    <...>

    F.

    On 26 jan, 12:05, Guy Paulus wrote:
    > Hello:
    >
    > I have installed on a Solaris 9 box an HP Ultrium 3 (G29D) tape
    > drive. In /dev/rmt are the following device files:
    >
    > 0 0bn 0cb 0cn 0hb 0hn 0lb 0ln 0mb 0mn 0u 0ubn
    > 0b 0c 0cbn 0h 0hbn 0l 0lbn 0m 0mbn 0n 0ub 0un
    >
    > I'm trying to identify those various devices. Could someone point to
    > a document explaining their properties or tell me which device to
    > use in order to maximize storage on 400 GB (no compression) tapes ?
    >
    > Thanks.
    > --
    > ,
    > /)