Have a Sun Ultra 30 with two NICs, have it be a router with installed Solaris, or use something additional, as I did before? - SUN

This is a discussion on Have a Sun Ultra 30 with two NICs, have it be a router with installed Solaris, or use something additional, as I did before? - SUN ; Greetings! Okay! I'm back to fixing the Solaris 8 I installed on a larger hard disk, within the Sun Ultra 30 computer, for me to "boot into", so I can work from it, primarily, and have more hard disk space. ...

  1. Have a Sun Ultra 30 with two NICs, have it be a router with installed Solaris, or use something additional, as I did before?

    Greetings!

    Okay! I'm back to fixing the Solaris 8 I installed on a larger hard
    disk, within the Sun Ultra 30 computer, for me to "boot into", so I can
    work from it, primarily, and have more hard disk space.

    (Yes, I was doing this literally two months ago. This is me,
    sometimes... other things press in, and I HAVE to do those things, so I
    just eventually get back to doing things I want to do, such as this!) :-)
    (But, by booting from "disk0" I can at least have the Sun as I've had it
    since 2003, that works just perfectly, so it hasn't been as high a
    priority as it would have been if it wasn't working at all.)

    Last night, I placed /etc/inet and /etc/mail (which has a sendmail
    configuration file that *was built* and "m4'd", as it should be) on the
    new hard drive.

    I booted from disk1, and it looked surprisingly good! In fact, I
    didn't see one error! (And, I went into the windowing environment, which
    I can't do, with the smaller Solaris I have installed on disk0!)

    Now, I have another question for you.

    In 2003, when I was given and first installed Solaris on this Sun
    ULtra 30 (it just had the small 4 GB drive), I wound up installing a NAT
    software package on it. (It describes things such as "IP Filter: attach
    to [hme0,0] and [hme1,1] and v3.4.20 attaching complete" when the Sun
    boots.)

    I *believe I needed this*, in order to have my Linux system, which is
    on the Sun's second Network Interface Card to work as I wanted.

    As I look through the three System Admin manuals for Solaris 8, I
    want to ask. This way that I did it (in 2003) is probably okay, and it
    has worked for me, without one problem, since then! But, what other ways
    do you suggest?

    Looking through the manual, it looks like Solaris should be able to
    be a router without my installing something external to Solaris, as I did
    in 2003.

    (And, I am indeed looking into this. I'm just wanting to mention it
    to people who know Solaris so much better than I, as I begin to look into
    it.)

    I didn't appear to have Internet access on the Linux system, even
    though the IPs and info was set up correctly for both NICs on the Sun
    system, and I had a gateway ("route add default"). (When I booted from
    disk0, with this NAT stuff, all was fine.)

    Do you have any suggestions for me?

    Thank you!

    Barry
    --
    Barry L. Bond | http://home.cfl.rr.com/os9barry/
    Software Engineer, ITT Corporation | (My personal home web page, last

  2. Re: Have a Sun Ultra 30 with two NICs, have it be a router with installed Solaris, or use something additional, as I did before?

    Barry L. Bond wrote:

    > Looking through the manual, it looks like Solaris should be able to
    > be a router without my installing something external to Solaris, as I did
    > in 2003.
    >
    > I didn't appear to have Internet access on the Linux system, even
    > though the IPs and info was set up correctly for both NICs on the Sun
    > system, and I had a gateway ("route add default"). (When I booted from
    > disk0, with this NAT stuff, all was fine.)

    Post the results of "netstat -nr" .

  3. Re: Have a Sun Ultra 30 with two NICs, have it be a router with installed Solaris, or use something additional, as I did before?

    Hi Jim!

    Thank you for your fast response!

    > Post the results of "netstat -nr" .

    Here it is:

    <<>>
    Routing Table: IPv4
    Destination Gateway Flags Ref Use Interface
    -------------------- -------------------- ----- ----- ------ ---------
    192.168.0.0 192.168.0.201 U 1 1 hme0
    192.168.2.0 192.168.2.2 U 1 1 hme1
    224.0.0.0 192.168.0.201 U 1 0 hme0
    default 192.168.0.1 UG 1 0
    127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 UH 12 116 lo0
    <<>>

    It matches the netstat report when I boot off of disk0...

    Barry
    --
    Barry L. Bond | http://home.cfl.rr.com/os9barry/
    Software Engineer, ITT Corporation | (My personal home web page, last
    bbondATcfl.rr.com | updated February 17, 2005)

+ Reply to Thread