Can't change IP address on Solaris 9 box - SUN

This is a discussion on Can't change IP address on Solaris 9 box - SUN ; Hi, all. I'm pretty new to Solaris 9; all of my experience is on earlier versions. I have a Netra210 on which I can't permantley reconfigure the IP adress on 1 interface (bge0). It always comes up with a 192.168.x.x ...

  1. Can't change IP address on Solaris 9 box

    Hi, all. I'm pretty new to Solaris 9; all of my experience is on
    earlier versions. I have a Netra210 on which I can't permantley
    reconfigure the IP adress on 1 interface (bge0). It always comes up
    with a 192.168.x.x address. Has something changed in Solaris 9? I don't
    know what I'm missing. I've configured the /etc/hosts,
    /etc/hostname.bge0, /etc/netmasks, and /etc/defaultrouter files...still
    nothing.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks,
    Ben..

    root@admin # ifconfig -a
    lo0: flags=2001000849 mtu
    8232 index 1
    inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff000000
    bge0: flags=1000843 mtu 1500 index
    2
    inet 192.168.1.20 netmask ffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255
    ether 0:3:ba:2f:ee:19
    bge1: flags=1000843 mtu 1500 index
    3
    inet 172.30.10.8 netmask ffffffc0 broadcast 172.30.10.63
    ether 0:3:ba:2f:ee:1a

    root@admin # cat /etc/hosts
    #
    # Internet host table
    #
    127.0.0.1 localhost loghost
    172.30.10.89 admin
    172.30.10.8 admin_bge1
    root@admin # cat /etc/hostname.bge0
    admin
    root@admin # cat /etc/hostname.bge1
    admin_bge1
    root@admin # cat /etc/netmasks
    #
    # The netmasks file associates Internet Protocol (IP) address
    # masks with IP network numbers.
    #
    # network-number netmask
    #
    # The term network-number refers to a number obtained from the Internet
    Network
    # Information Center.
    #
    # Both the network-number and the netmasks are specified in
    # "decimal dot" notation, e.g:
    #
    # 128.32.0.0 255.255.255.0
    #
    172.30.10.0 255.255.255.192
    172.30.10.64 255.255.255.192
    root@admin # cat /etc/defaultrouter
    172.30.10.1
    172.30.10.65

  2. Re: Can't change IP address on Solaris 9 box

    bozothedeathmachine wrote:
    > Hi, all. I'm pretty new to Solaris 9; all of my experience is on
    > earlier versions. I have a Netra210 on which I can't permantley
    > reconfigure the IP adress on 1 interface (bge0). It always comes up
    > with a 192.168.x.x address. Has something changed in Solaris 9? I don't
    > know what I'm missing. I've configured the /etc/hosts,
    > /etc/hostname.bge0, /etc/netmasks, and /etc/defaultrouter files...still
    > nothing.

    is there some script running in rc3.d that's manually setting the
    address and wiping out your intended settings?

    hth

  3. Re: Can't change IP address on Solaris 9 box

    In comp.unix.solaris bozothedeathmachine wrote:
    > Hi, all. I'm pretty new to Solaris 9; all of my experience is on
    > earlier versions. I have a Netra210 on which I can't permantley
    > reconfigure the IP adress on 1 interface (bge0). It always comes up
    > with a 192.168.x.x address. Has something changed in Solaris 9? I don't
    > know what I'm missing. I've configured the /etc/hosts,
    > /etc/hostname.bge0, /etc/netmasks, and /etc/defaultrouter files...still
    > nothing.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Everything you list is correct, so the likely culprit is /etc/inet/ipnodes.
    You should either pare it back to a minimum, symbolically link it to
    /etc/inet/hosts, or make absolutely sure that it's in sync with
    /etc/inet/hosts. I'd recommend either of the first two.

    Colin

  4. Re: Can't change IP address on Solaris 9 box

    > Everything you list is correct, so the likely culprit is /etc/inet/ipnodes.
    > You should either pare it back to a minimum, symbolically link it to
    > /etc/inet/hosts, or make absolutely sure that it's in sync with
    > /etc/inet/hosts. I'd recommend either of the first two.

    The winner! Thanks. I wasn't aware of that file. Is that new in Solaris
    9, or have I just ignored it all these years in older versions? I
    linked the ipnodes file to the hosts file and everything works fine.

    Thanks again!

  5. Re: Can't change IP address on Solaris 9 box

    In comp.unix.solaris bozothedeathmachine wrote:
    >> Everything you list is correct, so the likely culprit is /etc/inet/ipnodes.
    >> You should either pare it back to a minimum, symbolically link it to
    >> /etc/inet/hosts, or make absolutely sure that it's in sync with
    >> /etc/inet/hosts. I'd recommend either of the first two.

    > The winner! Thanks. I wasn't aware of that file. Is that new in Solaris
    > 9, or have I just ignored it all these years in older versions? I
    > linked the ipnodes file to the hosts file and everything works fine.

    Well, it was there in Solaris 8, but not there in 2.6. I haven't seen a
    Solaris 7 box in ages, so I can't tell if it was installed at that point.
    I guess it comes down to whether Solaris 7 supported IPv6 or not.

    As an aside, Solaris 11 will come with the file being a symbolic link to
    the /etc/inet/hosts file, so what you did will become the standard.

    Colin

+ Reply to Thread