ssh connection to ALOM refused - SUN

This is a discussion on ssh connection to ALOM refused - SUN ; Hi, I have a T1000 hosted across town. I normally connect to it via ssh without any hassles. Today I was attempting to bring it down to single user mode with a shutdown -y -g0 -is. I did this from ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: ssh connection to ALOM refused

  1. ssh connection to ALOM refused

    Hi,

    I have a T1000 hosted across town. I normally connect to it via ssh
    without any hassles. Today I was attempting to bring it down to single
    user mode with a shutdown -y -g0 -is. I did this from an ssh connection,
    and got messages to the effect that this was indeed happening, which is
    good.

    What is not so good is that I then attempted to open an ssh connection to
    the ALOM via its ethernet port I get the message:

    ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host

    Any ideas as to what might be the cause of this? I haven't spoken to the
    ALOM port for a few weeks, but in the past this has worked without
    troubles.

    I get the impression that the above message indicates that the remote host
    is reachable, but it doesn't want to talk to me. Indications from
    documents I have read are that this is often caused by a host being
    explicitly denied in the configuration files, and also sometimes by there
    being too many open ssh connections, in which case waiting for some to
    close might do the trick.

    So my choices here seem limited. I can have someone powercycle the
    machine, or I can make a journey and connect via the ALOM serial port.
    Does anyone have any other ideas of what I can try here?

    --
    Dr Tristram J. Scott
    Energy Consultant

  2. Re: ssh connection to ALOM refused

    Tristram Scott wrote:

    > What is not so good is that I then attempted to open an ssh connection to
    > the ALOM via its ethernet port I get the message:
    >
    > ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host
    >


    ssh -v might show you how far it's getting before it gives up. Whether
    this will help is another issue...

    --tim


  3. Re: ssh connection to ALOM refused

    Tim Bradshaw wrote:
    > Tristram Scott wrote:
    >
    >> What is not so good is that I then attempted to open an ssh connection to
    >> the ALOM via its ethernet port I get the message:
    >>
    >> ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host
    >>

    >
    > ssh -v might show you how far it's getting before it gives up. Whether
    > this will help is another issue...
    >


    Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be getting
    very far at all (IP address replaced with xxx):

    chicken 33% ssh -v arnie-rsc
    Sun_SSH_1.1, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0x0090704f
    debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config
    debug1: Rhosts Authentication disabled, originating port will not be trusted.
    debug1: ssh_connect: needpriv 0
    debug1: Connecting to arnie-rsc [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx] port 22.
    debug1: Connection established.
    debug1: identity file /home/tristram/.ssh/identity type -1
    debug1: identity file /home/tristram/.ssh/id_rsa type 1
    debug1: identity file /home/tristram/.ssh/id_dsa type -1
    ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host
    debug1: Calling cleanup 0x34204(0x0)
    chicken 34%

    Perhaps its time to reset the ALOM...

    --
    Dr Tristram J. Scott
    Energy Consultant

  4. Re: ssh connection to ALOM refused

    On 2007-01-15 17:19:12 +0000, tristram.scott@ntlworld.com (Tristram
    Scott) said:
    >
    > Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be getting
    > very far at all (IP address replaced with xxx):


    Well, it's getting a connection, anyway. One thing is that unless
    there are options you're missing out, that will be trying to
    authenticate as your username: do you have an account set up on the
    ALOM for you? But it looks to me like things are failing before that
    point: the next stuff I get when doing a similar thing (I don't have an
    ALOM to hand) is stuff about ssh recognising the remote sshd (line
    beginning "Remote protocol ...", so I'd guess that some horrible
    protocol botch is going on rather early in the connection - just after
    the TCP stream is open really.

    > Perhaps its time to reset the ALOM...
    >


    I reckon so, sorry.


  5. Re: ssh connection to ALOM refused

    Tim Bradshaw wrote:
    >
    > Well, it's getting a connection, anyway. One thing is that unless
    > there are options you're missing out, that will be trying to
    > authenticate as your username: do you have an account set up on the
    > ALOM for you? But it looks to me like things are failing before that
    > point: the next stuff I get when doing a similar thing (I don't have an
    > ALOM to hand) is stuff about ssh recognising the remote sshd (line
    > beginning "Remote protocol ...", so I'd guess that some horrible
    > protocol botch is going on rather early in the connection - just after
    > the TCP stream is open really.
    >
    >> Perhaps its time to reset the ALOM...
    >>

    >
    > I reckon so, sorry.
    >


    Okay, I jumped on my bike and went to visit Arnie the T1000 in person. The
    serial connection to the ALOM was still happy. I tried doing the
    restartssh at the sc> prompt, but that did not seem to help. I have now
    set the if_connection to telnet, and have done the resetsc. It seems happy
    again, but I still have no idea what caused the problem. I'm hoping that
    the problems were ssh related, and so using telnet will avoid them...

    Hey, at least the machine kept itself alive during all of this. These ALOM
    things are an excellent idea.

    Maybe I should have the ALOM serial port connected to another machine in
    that same rack, to save a future trip across town.

    Thanks for the advice.

    --
    Dr Tristram J. Scott
    Energy Consultant

+ Reply to Thread