online unix server to practice - SUN

This is a discussion on online unix server to practice - SUN ; Hi all, Are there any sites that provide free UNIX shell access for users to practice the shell commands through telnet or SSH.I am in desperate need of these. suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance. Masood Syed...

  1. online unix server to practice

    Hi all,
    Are there any sites that provide free UNIX shell access for users
    to practice the shell commands through telnet or SSH.I am in desperate
    need of these.

    suggestions are welcome.
    Thanks in advance.

    Masood Syed

  2. Re: online unix server to practice

    On Sat, 26 Aug 2006, Masood Syed wrote:

    > Are there any sites that provide free UNIX shell access for users
    > to practice the shell commands through telnet or SSH.I am in desperate
    > need of these.
    >
    > suggestions are welcome.

    You might find what you need from a Solaris-based live CD distribution
    such as Schillix. This can be booted and run from CD and when you're
    done reboot back from your hard disk. Your normal system remains
    untouched.

    http://schillix.berlios.de/

    Alternatively you can download VMware Server for free from the link
    below, and then download the Solaris 10 CDs and install them into a
    virtual machine.

    http://www.vmware.com/products/server/

    Either of these methods will get you a shell and full environment in
    which to practice commands, without compromising your normal system.

    --
    Chris

  3. Re: online unix server to practice

    Chris Lawrence wrote:
    > On Sat, 26 Aug 2006, Masood Syed wrote:
    >
    > > Are there any sites that provide free UNIX shell access for users
    > > to practice the shell commands through telnet or SSH.I am in desperate
    > > need of these.

    Or, if you are ok with HP-UX / Tru64, you can try HP's test drive
    program.

    l8rs,
    AS

+ Reply to Thread