No directory! Logging in with home=/ - SUN

This is a discussion on No directory! Logging in with home=/ - SUN ; Sorry for the newbie question. I have created a user on a Solaris 9 box. When they log in they get the error No directory! Logging in with home=/. There is no user directory for the user. I have run ...

  1. No directory! Logging in with home=/

    Sorry for the newbie question.
    I have created a user on a Solaris 9 box. When they log in they get
    the error

    No directory! Logging in with home=/.

    There is no user directory for the user.

    I have run useradd -D and the default home directory is still /home.

    I have tried running useradd -d /home Nick.

    Still no user directory is created.

  2. Re: No directory! Logging in with home=/

    N1ch0la5 wrote:
    > Sorry for the newbie question.
    > I have created a user on a Solaris 9 box. When they log in they get
    > the error
    >
    > No directory! Logging in with home=/.
    >
    > There is no user directory for the user.
    >
    > I have run useradd -D and the default home directory is still /home.
    >
    > I have tried running useradd -d /home Nick.
    >
    > Still no user directory is created.

    It probably gave you an error message (which you ignored?). The
    /home directory is owned by automounter in default Sol9 installation.
    You will not be able to do anything until you stop automountd or change
    the location for the home dir creation (eg. to /export/home).

  3. Re: No directory! Logging in with home=/

    >> On 29 Jun 2006 04:40:53 -0700,
    >> "N1ch0la5" said:

    > Sorry for the newbie question. I have created a user on
    > a Solaris 9 box. When they log in they get the error

    > No directory! Logging in with home=/.

    > There is no user directory for the user.

    > I have run useradd -D and the default home directory is
    > still /home.

    > I have tried running useradd -d /home Nick.

    > Still no user directory is created.

    .... because you didn't tell useradd to create one :-)

    $ man useradd

    -m Create the new user's home directory if it does not
    already exist. ...

    hth

  4. Re: No directory! Logging in with home=/

    Words to the wise, Marcin Dobrucki
    wrote:

    > It probably gave you an error message (which you ignored?). The
    >/home directory is owned by automounter in default Sol9 installation.
    >You will not be able to do anything until you stop automountd or change
    >the location for the home dir creation (eg. to /export/home).

    What about doing it manually? i.e. mkdir /export/home/$user, chown
    $user /export/home/$user, edit /etc/passwd and enter
    /export/home/$user for the entry $user?

    Can this lead to problems (assuming /export/home is a separate fs with
    enough space)?
    --
    Claus Dragon
    =(UDIC)=

    - Me, lately.

  5. Re: No directory! Logging in with home=/

    On Thu, 29 Jun 2006, Claus Dragon wrote:

    > What about doing it manually? i.e. mkdir /export/home/$user, chown
    > $user /export/home/$user, edit /etc/passwd and enter
    > /export/home/$user for the entry $user?

    You could do that, but I'd personally skip that last step and set up
    th eautomounter.

    > Can this lead to problems (assuming /export/home is a separate fs with
    > enough space)?

    None that I can think of.

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

  6. Re: No directory! Logging in with home=/

    Words to the wise, Rich Teer wrote:

    >On Thu, 29 Jun 2006, Claus Dragon wrote:
    >
    >> What about doing it manually? i.e. mkdir /export/home/$user, chown
    >> $user /export/home/$user, edit /etc/passwd and enter
    >> /export/home/$user for the entry $user?

    >You could do that, but I'd personally skip that last step and set up
    >th eautomounter.
    >
    >> Can this lead to problems (assuming /export/home is a separate fs with
    >> enough space)?

    >None that I can think of.

    Good

    That is what I do (not on productive machines), being too lazy to
    learn all the useradd options.
    --
    Claus Dragon
    =(UDIC)=
    K1!2!3!456!7!S a26
    "Coffee is a mocker. So, I am going to mock."

    - Me, lately.

+ Reply to Thread