Sunblade boot cdrom not working - SUN

This is a discussion on Sunblade boot cdrom not working - SUN ; Recently my Sun Blade 100 got a disk crash and I have replaced the disk. However, when I try to install Solaris 10 on it, I got the following message when I try to do it from ok prompt with ...

  1. Sunblade boot cdrom not working

    Recently my Sun Blade 100 got a disk crash and I have replaced the
    disk. However, when I try to install Solaris 10 on it, I got the
    following message when I try to do it from ok prompt with boot cdrom
    command (also tried with device number, and offset the device number),

    Can't read disk label.
    Can't red disk label package

    Can't open boot device

    Even worst, I've tried to use back the Solaris 8 install cd that came
    with the box, and I got the same message.

    I've check and confirmed that all the cable etc are connected
    correctly, and the cdrom drive was working. Going thru all the net
    search and following them doesn't seem to resolve the issue.

    Anyone has any idea on what happen, and how to go about this?

  2. Re: Sunblade boot cdrom not working

    SiuHin wrote:
    > Recently my Sun Blade 100 got a disk crash and I have replaced the
    > disk. However, when I try to install Solaris 10 on it, I got the
    > following message when I try to do it from ok prompt with boot cdrom
    > command (also tried with device number, and offset the device number),
    >
    > Can't read disk label.
    > Can't red disk label package
    >
    > Can't open boot device

    what is the output of devalias from the prompt ?

  3. Re: Sunblade boot cdrom not working

    devalias return the current path for cdrom. I've tried to boot directly
    from that device path and it still doesn't work. Whenever I boot, from
    devalias or device path, the light on the cdrom is on. Thus, I believe
    I am using the correct path.

    The jumper for new hard disk I installed is on cable select, which
    seems to be the same as the old failed drive, and probe-ide also detect
    the hard disk as master and cdrom as salve. Seems like this is not the
    cause as well.

    Any further idea?

    --
    Steve Sigman wrote:
    > SiuHin wrote:
    > > Recently my Sun Blade 100 got a disk crash and I have replaced the
    > > disk. However, when I try to install Solaris 10 on it, I got the
    > > following message when I try to do it from ok prompt with boot cdrom
    > > command (also tried with device number, and offset the device number),
    > >
    > > Can't read disk label.
    > > Can't red disk label package
    > >
    > > Can't open boot device

    > what is the output of devalias from the prompt ?

  4. Re: Sunblade boot cdrom not working

    SiuHin wrote:
    > Recently my Sun Blade 100 got a disk crash and I have replaced the
    > disk. However, when I try to install Solaris 10 on it, I got the
    > following message when I try to do it from ok prompt with boot cdrom
    > command (also tried with device number, and offset the device number),
    > Can't read disk label.

    That's because there is no label.
    ok boot cdrom -s
    format
    label
    Now there is one.
    Assuming the CD is any good and the disk can be labeled.

  5. Re: Sunblade boot cdrom not working

    Boot cdrom -s have the same error

    gerryt@ wrote:
    > SiuHin wrote:
    > > Recently my Sun Blade 100 got a disk crash and I have replaced the
    > > disk. However, when I try to install Solaris 10 on it, I got the
    > > following message when I try to do it from ok prompt with boot cdrom
    > > command (also tried with device number, and offset the device number),
    > > Can't read disk label.

    > That's because there is no label.
    > ok boot cdrom -s
    > format
    > label
    > Now there is one.
    > Assuming the CD is any good and the disk can be labeled.

  6. Re: Sunblade boot cdrom not working

    SiuHin wrote:
    > Boot cdrom -s have the same error
    > gerryt@ wrote:
    > > SiuHin wrote:
    > > > Recently my Sun Blade 100 got a disk crash and I have replaced the
    > > > disk. However, when I try to install Solaris 10 on it, I got the
    > > > following message when I try to do it from ok prompt with boot cdrom
    > > > command (also tried with device number, and offset the device number),
    > > > Can't read disk label.

    > > That's because there is no label.
    > > ok boot cdrom -s
    > > format
    > > label
    > > Now there is one.
    > > Assuming the CD is any good and the disk can be labeled.

    OK Ill bottom post your top post and tell you:
    this is expected behaviour. It doesnt matter what you boot with,
    a label wont magically appear on an ulabelled disk. You have to create
    one...
    Use format for that task

  7. Re: Sunblade boot cdrom not working

    This happens when (A) the CD-ROM drive is for whatever reason not
    bootable, whether by design or by hardware failure, dirty lens, etc.,
    (B) the CD-ROM is damaged or cannot be read by the CD-ROM drive, (C) the
    CD is not bootable, or (D) you're trying to use a DVD in a CD-R drive.

    I've run into this *numerous* times but with CD-Rs on older drives that
    were not appreciative of CD-R or the CD-R was written too fast. I have
    no idea how a previous poster thinks that putting a label will do
    anything. That error message is there because it can't find the label
    on the boot device, which is the CD-ROM drive. YOU CAN'T PUT A LABEL ON
    A CD!! It has this read-only attribute that kind of makes it difficult
    to put a label on it. And if you can't boot you can't get to the
    operating system to run the format command!

    Anyway, I suggest doing the following:

    If the discs that you're using are CD-Rs, such as from images that were
    downloaded from Sun's site, burn them again at the slowest speed
    possible. Make sure that you use writing software that creates
    bootable ISOs. Ahead's Nero is the most often-suggested Windows utility
    to use for writing Sun ISOs.

    Replace the CD-R drive with another one that you probably have around.
    The Blade 100 is IDE-based, so just about any CD-ROM drive will do.

    If that still doesn't work, try building a Jumpstart server and install
    the operating system over a network. If anything, you should try to do
    a network boot (not necessarily an install) for troubleshooting. No,
    don't ask me how to do it. It's too much to put in a post with too many
    niggling details, and Sun has plenty of documentation out there.

    Finally, it's possible that the disk didn't crash but rather that the
    IDE controller has died. That is the least likely explanation, but it
    is still possible. That would certainly explain the loss of both the
    CD-ROM drive and hard drive.

    SiuHin wrote:
    > Recently my Sun Blade 100 got a disk crash and I have replaced the
    > disk. However, when I try to install Solaris 10 on it, I got the
    > following message when I try to do it from ok prompt with boot cdrom
    > command (also tried with device number, and offset the device number),
    >
    > Can't read disk label.
    > Can't red disk label package
    >
    > Can't open boot device
    >
    > Even worst, I've tried to use back the Solaris 8 install cd that came
    > with the box, and I got the same message.
    >
    > I've check and confirmed that all the cable etc are connected
    > correctly, and the cdrom drive was working. Going thru all the net
    > search and following them doesn't seem to resolve the issue.
    >
    > Anyone has any idea on what happen, and how to go about this?

+ Reply to Thread