how to change directory permissions using CHMOD - SUN

This is a discussion on how to change directory permissions using CHMOD - SUN ; I tried with chmod 777 also tried chmod -R 777 Nothing is working. I am using Sun Solaris 5.9. Can somebody help me ?...

  1. how to change directory permissions using CHMOD

    I tried with
    chmod 777
    also tried chmod -R 777

    Nothing is working. I am using Sun Solaris 5.9.

    Can somebody help me ?

  2. Re: how to change directory permissions using CHMOD

    suyog_linux wrote:
    > I tried with
    > chmod 777
    > also tried chmod -R 777
    >
    > Nothing is working. I am using Sun Solaris 5.9.
    >
    > Can somebody help me ?

    what do you mean by "Nothing is working"?

    For me it works without a problem:

    $ mkdir a
    $ ls -ld a
    drwx------ 2 maierkom maierkom 4096 Jun 14 08:57 a/
    $ chmod 0777 a
    $ ls -ld a
    drwxrwxrwx 2 maierkom maierkom 4096 Jun 14 08:57 a/

  3. Re: how to change directory permissions using CHMOD

    Hey I am sorry ...

    just now i could find that actually i belong to some other grp .....

    can you tell me how to change the grp of directory .... using chgrp
    command ..

    Thomas Maier-Komor wrote:
    > suyog_linux wrote:
    > > I tried with
    > > chmod 777
    > > also tried chmod -R 777
    > >
    > > Nothing is working. I am using Sun Solaris 5.9.
    > >
    > > Can somebody help me ?
    > >

    > what do you mean by "Nothing is working"?
    >
    > For me it works without a problem:
    >
    > $ mkdir a
    > $ ls -ld a
    > drwx------ 2 maierkom maierkom 4096 Jun 14 08:57 a/
    > $ chmod 0777 a
    > $ ls -ld a
    > drwxrwxrwx 2 maierkom maierkom 4096 Jun 14 08:57 a/

  4. Re: how to change directory permissions using CHMOD

    In article <1150266846.310596.54700@y43g2000cwc.googlegroups.c om>,
    "suyog_linux" wrote:

    > I tried with
    > chmod 777
    > also tried chmod -R 777
    >
    > Nothing is working. I am using Sun Solaris 5.9.
    >
    > Can somebody help me ?

    Please explain "Nothing is working" further. Errors, if any.

    What's the output of "id"?

    Are the files on a local filesystem or NFS mounted? The remote
    filesystem may not be share'd with the root= attribute.

  5. Re: how to change directory permissions using CHMOD

    suyog_linux wrote:
    > Hey I am sorry ...
    >
    > just now i could find that actually i belong to some other grp .....
    >
    > can you tell me how to change the grp of directory .... using chgrp
    > command ..

    chgrp will only work if you are the owner of the directory... See "man
    chgrp" and "man chown" for details.

    Please: if you have a problem, copy/paste the output of your terminal,
    so that one knows what you are doing. Then it is much easier to tell you
    what went wrong and how you can achieve what you want to do...

  6. Re: how to change directory permissions using CHMOD

    The error i get after I run
    chmod 0777
    or chmod 777
    or chmod -R 777
    or chmod -Rv 777 is

    chmod: WARNING: can't change EdocsTempDir.

    I run id command which returns : uid=1001(oracle) gid=101(oinstall)

    The ls -l for the directory returns : drwxr-xr-x 2 root other
    512 Mar 18 2005 EdocsTempDir

    Please help.

    Thomas Maier-Komor wrote:
    > suyog_linux wrote:
    > > Hey I am sorry ...
    > >
    > > just now i could find that actually i belong to some other grp .....
    > >
    > > can you tell me how to change the grp of directory .... using chgrp
    > > command ..
    > >

    > chgrp will only work if you are the owner of the directory... See "man
    > chgrp" and "man chown" for details.
    >
    > Please: if you have a problem, copy/paste the output of your terminal,
    > so that one knows what you are doing. Then it is much easier to tell you
    > what went wrong and how you can achieve what you want to do...

  7. Re: how to change directory permissions using CHMOD

    suyog_linux wrote:
    > The error i get after I run
    > chmod 0777
    > or chmod 777
    > or chmod -R 777
    > or chmod -Rv 777 is
    >
    > chmod: WARNING: can't change EdocsTempDir.
    >
    > I run id command which returns : uid=1001(oracle) gid=101(oinstall)
    >
    > The ls -l for the directory returns : drwxr-xr-x 2 root other
    > 512 Mar 18 2005 EdocsTempDir
    >
    > Please help.

    As I said already. You have to be the owner of the directory to be able
    to change the group or permissions. Directory owner in your case is
    root, and you are user oracle.

  8. Re: how to change directory permissions using CHMOD

    getfacal (dir) for the permissions
    man setfacal (sorry not on my netra atm) works
    "suyog_linux" wrote in message
    news:1150266846.310596.54700@y43g2000cwc.googlegro ups.com...
    > I tried with
    > chmod 777
    > also tried chmod -R 777
    >
    > Nothing is working. I am using Sun Solaris 5.9.
    >
    > Can somebody help me ?

+ Reply to Thread