Absolute beginners sys admin guide reqd - SUN

This is a discussion on Absolute beginners sys admin guide reqd - SUN ; Hi All, searched on t'net for a real beginners guide to sun sys admin. I'm running sol 10 on a couple of Ultra 10's with the ultimate aim of a backend database (MySql) feeding a simple website. I've got apache ...

  1. Absolute beginners sys admin guide reqd

    Hi All,

    searched on t'net for a real beginners guide to sun sys admin. I'm
    running sol 10 on a couple of Ultra 10's with the ultimate aim of a
    backend database (MySql) feeding a simple website. I've got apache up
    and running on one of the Ultra10's (along with PHP) but need more
    sysadmin knowledge to get Mysql working and talking to the other machine.

    Things such as:

    adding users
    Modifying you PATH (the amount of places a newbie guide says something
    like 'ensure it's in your path' but then doesn't say HOW!!
    Setting basic security/access rights
    performing a backup/recovery
    removing existing packages so I can do a clean install of for example MYSQL5
    Getting certain programs to run on startup automatically
    seeing what apps/processes are currently running

    I appreciate all of the above is on Suns site, but usually buried and
    over technical for the Unix newbie. It's (almost) enough to make me go
    back to NT....

    many thanks

    Adrian Hume (email: vstechatoneteldotnet)

  2. Re: Absolute beginners sys admin guide reqd

    Adrian Hume wrote:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > searched on t'net for a real beginners guide to sun sys admin. I'm
    > running sol 10 on a couple of Ultra 10's with the ultimate aim of a
    > backend database (MySql) feeding a simple website. I've got apache up
    > and running on one of the Ultra10's (along with PHP) but need more
    > sysadmin knowledge to get Mysql working and talking to the other machine.
    >
    > Things such as:
    >
    > adding users
    > Modifying you PATH (the amount of places a newbie guide says something
    > like 'ensure it's in your path' but then doesn't say HOW!!

    export PATH=$PATH:/directory_you_need_to_add
    > Setting basic security/access rights

    See man chmod, man chown.
    > performing a backup/recovery

    see man ufsdump and man ufsrestore
    > removing existing packages so I can do a clean install of for example
    > MYSQL5

    pkgrm
    > Getting certain programs to run on startup automatically

    See the "System Administration I" manual for the version of Solaris you
    are using.
    > seeing what apps/processes are currently running

    See man ps

    > I appreciate all of the above is on Suns site, but usually buried and
    > over technical for the Unix newbie. It's (almost) enough to make me go
    > back to NT....
    >
    > many thanks
    >
    > Adrian Hume (email: vstechatoneteldotnet)

    A set of questions such as yours is normally answered either by taking
    one week courses called "Introduction to Solaris" and "Solaris System
    Administration I" or reading a lot of books and manuals. The courses
    will cost you about $2500 each if you take them in the classroom or $500
    each by "CAI"

    Some of the books are free for downloading from http://docs.sun.com/.
    Others, not Solaris Specific, are published by O'Reilly & Associates and
    can be purchased from Amazon or any large book store. I'd suggest
    starting with "Unix in a Nutshell"

    You need to hit the books big time. If you try to get all your answers
    via the news groups you will make such a nuisance of yourself that no
    one will respond to your posts (or even read them)

    Go thou, and RTFM

+ Reply to Thread