guideline for devices names - SUN

This is a discussion on guideline for devices names - SUN ; How can I recognize my devices names /dev as for mount command usage ?(/dev/dsk/c1s3..) What is the name of my cdrom-cdwriter ? Is there a scan command for getting those names ?...

  1. guideline for devices names

    How can I recognize my devices names /dev as for mount command usage
    ?(/dev/dsk/c1s3..)
    What is the name of my cdrom-cdwriter ?
    Is there a scan command for getting those names ?

  2. Re: guideline for devices names

    Words to the wise, ehabaziz2001@gmail.com wrote:

    >How can I recognize my devices names /dev as for mount command usage
    >?(/dev/dsk/c1s3..)
    >What is the name of my cdrom-cdwriter ?
    >Is there a scan command for getting those names ?

    Normally, its just /cdrom or /cdrom1 if you have more than one.

    You dont have to mount anything manually, volume manager will take
    care of that for you. Though when using cdrecord, you should turn off
    the volume manager and restart it afterwards.
    --
    Claus Dragon
    =(UDIC)=

    - Me, lately.

  3. Re: guideline for devices names

    I am talking in the case of trouble-shooting and using volmgt ? Is
    there a tutorial for devices names recognition ?

  4. Re: guideline for devices names

    I am talking in the case of trouble-shooting and not using volmgt ? Is
    there a tutorial for devices names recognition ?

  5. Re: guideline for devices names

    On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 06:21:24 -0700, ehabaziz200 wrote:

    > I am talking in the case of trouble-shooting and using volmgt ? Is
    > there a tutorial for devices names recognition ?

    The answers to almost *all* of your questions can be found by Google
    "solaris faq".

  6. Re: guideline for devices names

    > From: ehabaziz2001@gmail.com wrote
    > Newsgroups: comp.unix.solaris,alt.solaris.x86,comp.sys.sun.adm in,comp.unix.admin
    > How can I recognize my devices names /dev as for mount command usage
    > ?(/dev/dsk/c1s3..)
    > What is the name of my cdrom-cdwriter ?
    > Is there a scan command for getting those names ?

    It would be useful to know specifically which operating system you're
    asking about. The newsgroups you posted to cover a potentially wide
    range of UNIX operating systems.

    Is it Solaris 8 x86, SunOS 4.1.2, UNIX Seventh Edition,
    Digital UNIX 4.0F, ... ???

  7. Re: guideline for devices names

    ehabaziz2001@gmail.com wrote:
    > I am talking in the case of trouble-shooting and not using volmgt ? Is
    > there a tutorial for devices names recognition ?

    Can you please learn to quote?

    Read

    --
    Ian Collins.