Cheap server for solaris 10 scsa cert? - SUN

This is a discussion on Cheap server for solaris 10 scsa cert? - SUN ; I have a sparc station model 544, but I dont think it's going to run solaris 10.... what would you recommend as a cheap server that will run solaris 10 (sparc). I would like to spend at the most 200-500$ ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 42

  1. Cheap server for solaris 10 scsa cert?

    I have a sparc station model 544, but I dont think it's going to run
    solaris 10.... what would you recommend as a cheap server that will run
    solaris 10 (sparc).

    I would like to spend at the most 200-500$

    Thanks

  2. Re: Cheap server for solaris 10 scsa cert?

    ewaguespack@gmail.com wrote:
    > I have a sparc station model 544, but I dont think it's going to run
    > solaris 10.... what would you recommend as a cheap server that will run
    > solaris 10 (sparc).
    >
    > I would like to spend at the most 200-500$
    >
    > Thanks

    You have not given much information have you. A server for < $500. If someone
    said they wanted a car for under $500, you might ask did they want two doors or
    4, autho or manual etc.

    Obvious things are do you want it rack mountable? Is remote management (LOM)
    important (you might get that for $500). Do you want SCSI or IDE ? Do you want
    to be able to add other cards?

    A Blade 1000 can be got for well under $500. Although it is a worksation, not a
    server, having SCSI is will not do a bad job - far better than your SPARC 5!!

    You might consider the Netra T1 too. That is a server, 1 U high. Very small, a
    bit noisy to me. Not much room for expansion, but nice and compact.

    Older bits like the E420?

    I personally think I'd look for a Blade 1000, but it really depends what you
    want. As far as I can tell, there is no difference between a Blade 1000 and a
    2000, other than the label on the front and the price they fetch on the second
    hand market!
    --
    Dave K MCSE.

  3. Re: Cheap server for solaris 10 scsa cert?

    HI,

    ewaguespack@gmail.com wrote:
    > I have a sparc station model 544, but I dont think it's going to run
    > solaris 10.... what would you recommend as a cheap server that will run
    > solaris 10 (sparc).
    >
    > I would like to spend at the most 200-500$
    >
    > Thanks

    Lowest price machine with can hold enough memory could be a U10
    preferable a 440MHz version.

    /michael

  4. Re: Cheap server for solaris 10 scsa cert?

    Note: Blade 1000/2000 use Fibre channel for internal drives.

    Todd
    Dave (from the UK) wrote:
    > ewaguespack@gmail.com wrote:
    >> I have a sparc station model 544, but I dont think it's going to run
    >> solaris 10.... what would you recommend as a cheap server that will run
    >> solaris 10 (sparc).
    >>
    >> I would like to spend at the most 200-500$
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>

    > You have not given much information have you. A server for < $500. If
    > someone said they wanted a car for under $500, you might ask did they
    > want two doors or 4, autho or manual etc.
    >
    > Obvious things are do you want it rack mountable? Is remote management
    > (LOM) important (you might get that for $500). Do you want SCSI or IDE ?
    > Do you want to be able to add other cards?
    >

    > A Blade 1000 can be got for well under $500. Although it is a
    > worksation, not a server, having SCSI is will not do a bad job - far
    > better than your SPARC 5!!
    >
    > You might consider the Netra T1 too. That is a server, 1 U high. Very
    > small, a bit noisy to me. Not much room for expansion, but nice and
    > compact.
    >
    > Older bits like the E420?
    >
    > I personally think I'd look for a Blade 1000, but it really depends what
    > you want. As far as I can tell, there is no difference between a Blade
    > 1000 and a 2000, other than the label on the front and the price they
    > fetch on the second hand market!

  5. Re: Cheap server for solaris 10 scsa cert?

    Michael Laajanen wrote:
    > HI,
    >
    > ewaguespack@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    >> I have a sparc station model 544, but I dont think it's going to run
    >> solaris 10.... what would you recommend as a cheap server that will run
    >> solaris 10 (sparc).
    >>
    >> I would like to spend at the most 200-500$
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>

    > Lowest price machine with can hold enough memory could be a U10
    > preferable a 440MHz version.
    >

    > /michael

    Preferably with all the memory he needs, as memory tends to be expensive for
    them. Also Ultra 60 is pretty cheap and more like a server spec (up to daul 450
    MHz). I have one to sell, but I'm in the UK so not much use to him.

    --
    Dave K MCSE.

  6. Re: Cheap server for solaris 10 scsa cert?

    Dave (from the UK) wrote:
    > Michael Laajanen wrote:
    > > HI,
    > >
    > > ewaguespack@gmail.com wrote:
    > >
    > >> I have a sparc station model 544, but I dont think it's going to run
    > >> solaris 10.... what would you recommend as a cheap server that will run
    > >> solaris 10 (sparc).
    > >>
    > >> I would like to spend at the most 200-500$
    > >>
    > >> Thanks
    > >>

    > > Lowest price machine with can hold enough memory could be a U10
    > > preferable a 440MHz version.
    > >

    > > /michael

    > Preferably with all the memory he needs, as memory tends to be expensive for
    > them. Also Ultra 60 is pretty cheap and more like a server spec (up to daul 450
    > MHz). I have one to sell, but I'm in the UK so not much use to him.
    >

    > --
    > Dave K MCSE.
    >
    > MCSE = Minefield Consultant and Solitaire Expert.
    >
    > Please note my email address changes periodically to avoid spam.
    > It is always of the form: month-year@domain. Hitting reply will work
    > for a couple of months only. Later set it manually.

    I guess I should have mentioned that this box needs to be quiet... my
    wife gets pissed when she can't hear her TV

  7. Re: Cheap server for solaris 10 scsa cert?

    Todd wrote:
    > Note: Blade 1000/2000 use Fibre channel for internal drives.

    Cheers, I did not know that. I have almost bought a Blade 1000 a couple of times
    and assumed it was "standard" SCA 80-pin SCA disks. I live in a time-warp I think.

    --
    Dave K MCSE.

  8. Re: Cheap server for solaris 10 scsa cert?

    ewaguespack@gmail.com wrote:

    > I have a sparc station model 544, but I dont think it's going to run
    > solaris 10.... what would you recommend as a cheap server that will run
    > solaris 10 (sparc).
    >
    > I would like to spend at the most 200-500$
    >
    > Thanks

    If you just want a Sun box that will run Solaris 10, Sun Ultra 10s are
    dirt cheap on e-Bay. You'll pay a little more for the "Creator-3D"
    versions but the better graphics may be worth it. Even the Creator-3D
    shouldn't cost more than $100 US.

    If you really need a "Server", you might try for an Enterprise 250. Or
    just search e-Bay for "Sun Server" and see what pops up.

  9. Re: Cheap server for solaris 10 scsa cert?

    ewaguespack@gmail.com wrote:
    > Dave (from the UK) wrote:
    >
    >>Michael Laajanen wrote:
    >>
    >>>HI,

    > I guess I should have mentioned that this box needs to be quiet... my
    > wife gets pissed when she can't hear her TV

    Does it need to be a server, or are you looking for a workstation? It sounds
    more like a workstation spec is needed to me.

    If the latter, the choices I can think of, in rough order of performance, would
    be the following. I don't think all the Ultra 1, ir any are supported on Solaris
    10, but they might run it okay.

    Ultra 1 (bit old)
    Ultra 5 (IDE = cheap disks)
    Ultra 10 (IDE = cheap disks)
    Ultra 30 (SCSI, never a very popular machine, cheap)
    Ultra 60 (up to 2 CPUs, SCSI)
    Ultra 80 (up to 4 CPUS, SCSI)
    Blade 100 (IDE, cheap)
    Blade 150 (IDE, cheap)
    Blade 1000 (FC-AL SCSI, upto 2 CPUs)

    Perhaps a look at docs.sun.com to get some noise data?

    The Ultra 80 and Blade 1000 are quite heavy/large machines. Perhaps your wife
    would not appreciate one of them around.

    -------
    Dave K MCSE.

  10. Re: Cheap server for solaris 10 scsa cert?

    Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
    > ewaguespack@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    > > I have a sparc station model 544, but I dont think it's going to run
    > > solaris 10.... what would you recommend as a cheap server that will run
    > > solaris 10 (sparc).
    > >
    > > I would like to spend at the most 200-500$
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >

    > If you just want a Sun box that will run Solaris 10, Sun Ultra 10s are
    > dirt cheap on e-Bay. You'll pay a little more for the "Creator-3D"
    > versions but the better graphics may be worth it. Even the Creator-3D
    > shouldn't cost more than $100 US.
    >
    > If you really need a "Server", you might try for an Enterprise 250. Or
    > just search e-Bay for "Sun Server" and see what pops up.

    no, I don't need a "server" I was using the term incorrectly and
    generically, I need a sparc workstation that will run solaris 10.

    Thanks.

  11. Re: Cheap server for solaris 10 scsa cert?

    ewaguespack@gmail.com wrote:
    > Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
    >
    >>ewaguespack@gmail.com wrote:
    >>

    >>>I have a sparc station model 544, but I dont think it's going to run
    >>>solaris 10.... what would you recommend as a cheap server that will run
    >>>solaris 10 (sparc).
    >>>
    >>>I would like to spend at the most 200-500$
    >>>
    >>>Thanks
    >>>

    >>If you just want a Sun box that will run Solaris 10, Sun Ultra 10s are
    >>dirt cheap on e-Bay. You'll pay a little more for the "Creator-3D"
    >>versions but the better graphics may be worth it. Even the Creator-3D
    >>shouldn't cost more than $100 US.
    >>
    >>If you really need a "Server", you might try for an Enterprise 250. Or
    >>just search e-Bay for "Sun Server" and see what pops up.

    > no, I don't need a "server" I was using the term incorrectly and
    > generically, I need a sparc workstation that will run solaris 10.
    >
    > Thanks.

    In which case, I think you need one of the following.

    Ultra 5 (IDE = cheap disks)
    Ultra 10 (IDE = cheap disks)
    Ultra 30 (SCSI, never a very popular machine, cheap)
    Ultra 60 (up to 2 CPUs, SCSI)
    Ultra 80 (up to 4 CPUS, SCSI)
    Blade 100 (IDE, cheap)
    Blade 150 (IDE, cheap)
    Blade 1000 (FC-AL SCSI, upto 2 CPUs)

    All of them would do - but the ones lower down the list will cost more and give
    you better performance. The Ultra 5 is not much bigger than your SPARC 5. The
    Ultra 10, 30 and 60 are about the size of a typical tower PC. The Ultra 80 and
    Blade 1000 are like quite large tower systems. They are wider, deeper and
    heavier than any normal tower PC I have met.

    I can't speak for the Blade 100 or 150, as I have never seen one, but I get the
    feeling they are probably similar size to the Ultra 5. You should be able to get
    all the size/weight/noise specs if you look around. Also look on spec.org for
    benchmarks. Look at the prices they have actually *sold* for on eBay. *NOT* the
    prices people are trying to sell them at. You will often find people trying to
    sell machines at 4x what they typically sell for. I bought an Ultra 60 a few
    months back on eBay and at the time I bought it someone else was trying to sell
    one on eBay at about 5x the amount I paid.

    --
    Dave K MCSE.

  12. Re: Cheap server for solaris 10 scsa cert?

    ewaguespack@gmail.com wrote:

    > no, I don't need a "server" I was using the term incorrectly and
    > generically, I need a sparc workstation that will run solaris 10.
    >
    > Thanks.

    I just noticed the title - SCSA cert.

    You might want to get something with a fairly late OBP in that case, as some of
    that is based on the OBP. That might make a newer machine more suitable.

    --
    Dave K MCSE.

  13. Re: Cheap server for solaris 10 scsa cert?

    The problem is that none of the SPARC based SUN computers in the last
    10 years will be acceptable for your wife in the living room. They are
    all extremely noisy - the U5/U10 are the only one that you can modifiy
    with standard silent PC parts.

    Maybe what you want is one of the small silent PC barebone's and run
    Solaris 10 x86 on it.

  14. Re: Cheap server for solaris 10 scsa cert?

    On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 16:35:31 -0800, llothar wrote:

    > The problem is that none of the SPARC based SUN computers in the last
    > 10 years will be acceptable for your wife in the living room. They are
    > all extremely noisy - the U5/U10 are the only one that you can modifiy
    > with standard silent PC parts.

    Horsefeathers! My Ultra 60 is quieter than any of my tower PeeCees even
    with two 10K rpm drives in it.

    > Maybe what you want is one of the small silent PC barebone's and run
    > Solaris 10 x86 on it.

    The SCSA exam requires knowledge of the OBP. The OP will not learn a damn
    thing about OBP running Solaris x86.

  15. Re: Cheap server for solaris 10 scsa cert?

    llothar wrote:
    > The problem is that none of the SPARC based SUN computers in the last
    > 10 years will be acceptable for your wife in the living room. They are
    > all extremely noisy - the U5/U10 are the only one that you can modifiy
    > with standard silent PC parts.
    >
    > Maybe what you want is one of the small silent PC barebone's and run
    > Solaris 10 x86 on it.

    Given the Suns are rated for use at fairly high input temperatures and fairly
    high altitudes, if you live nearer sea level and keep the room temperature down,
    you can probably reduce the cooling air and hence noise.

    The think the fans in Suns are likely to be standard sizes so could be replaced
    by temperature controlled ones. Of course, this is all a bit more risky.

    I've got a pair of Pentium II 450 MHz here which I removed the fans and a Sun
    PCI card from which I have also removed the fan. In each case I removed them
    when the fans failed. I was told by a PC technician that P II 450 was OK without
    a fan and I decided myself the Sun PCi card was in the Ultra 80, since there is
    a lot of cooling air in that and I was convinced the little fan on the heatsink
    was next to useless.

    --
    Dave K MCSE.

  16. Re: Cheap server for solaris 10 scsa cert?

    Dave Uhring wrote:
    > On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 16:35:31 -0800, llothar wrote:
    >

    >>The problem is that none of the SPARC based SUN computers in the last
    >>10 years will be acceptable for your wife in the living room. They are
    >>all extremely noisy - the U5/U10 are the only one that you can modifiy
    >>with standard silent PC parts.

    > Horsefeathers! My Ultra 60 is quieter than any of my tower PeeCees even
    > with two 10K rpm drives in it.

    Do you have the low-noise kit installed in that machine? They are not easy to
    find on the used market. Of course, you could get lucky (as I recently did) and
    buy one with it in, despite it was not advertised as such.

    --
    Dave K MCSE.

  17. Re: Cheap server for solaris 10 scsa cert?

    On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 01:56:48 +0100, Dave (from the UK) wrote:

    > Dave Uhring wrote:

    >> Horsefeathers! My Ultra 60 is quieter than any of my tower PeeCees even
    >> with two 10K rpm drives in it.

    > Do you have the low-noise kit installed in that machine? They are not easy to
    > find on the used market. Of course, you could get lucky (as I recently did) and
    > buy one with it in, despite it was not advertised as such.

    No idea about the kit. The 120 mm. fans are quiet as are the Seagate
    Cheetah drives.

  18. Re: Cheap server for solaris 10 scsa cert?

    On Sat, 1 Apr 2006, Dave (from the UK) wrote:

    > I've got a pair of Pentium II 450 MHz here which I removed the fans and a Sun
    > PCI card from which I have also removed the fan. In each case I removed them

    WHat SUn PCI card did you remove the fan from? I gave a SUn PCi IIpro, and
    removing the fan seems like a good way to get rid of some of its noise.

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

  19. Re: Cheap server for solaris 10 scsa cert?

    On Fri, 31 Mar 2006, llothar wrote:

    > The problem is that none of the SPARC based SUN computers in the last

    That's "Sun", not "SUN".

    > 10 years will be acceptable for your wife in the living room. They are

    Nonsense. My Sun Blade 1000 is very quiet.

    > Maybe what you want is one of the small silent PC barebone's and run
    > Solaris 10 x86 on it.

    Solaris x86 is of no use for someone needing to learn OBP...

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

  20. Re: Cheap server for solaris 10 scsa cert?

    Rich Teer wrote:
    > On Sat, 1 Apr 2006, Dave (from the UK) wrote:
    >

    >>I've got a pair of Pentium II 450 MHz here which I removed the fans and a Sun
    >>PCI card from which I have also removed the fan. In each case I removed them

    > WHat SUn PCI card did you remove the fan from? I gave a SUn PCi IIpro, and
    > removing the fan seems like a good way to get rid of some of its noise.

    It was a Sun PCi II pro with a 733 MHz Celeron. I removed the plastic cover on
    the heatink too. The fan is supposed to force air by the heatsink, but I think
    the cover will create a lot of back-pressure so the flow must be pretty small.
    However, I might be less inclined to do it in a machine with less airflow than
    the U 80.

    I had no problems. I've even run it for a few hours on one of these utilities
    that make the CPU work flat out.

    Someone else copied the idea too and as far as I know he had no problems. He
    wrote some web pages on it, but they are in French.

    http://www.sunwizard.net/html/articles/gt007.html

    If you look at his pictures you can see where the fan is supposed to force the
    air - along the length of the heatsink then out the ends. But look at all the
    restriction with the heatsink. I don't have a PhD in the dynamics of airflow,
    but I don't believe the fan can work very well against that back pressure, so I
    think removing the cover and fan is quite sensible if you have airflow around it.

    My machine is pretty packed - 4 GB, 4 CPUs, HVD SCSI card, SE SCSI card, GPIB
    controller card, CD, tape drive, two disks ... but it works fine.

    --
    Dave K MCSE.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast