Cheap server for solaris 10 scsa cert? - SUN

This is a discussion on Cheap server for solaris 10 scsa cert? - SUN ; Richard B. Gilbert wrote: > Doug McIntyre wrote: > >> "Richard B. Gilbert" writes: >> >>>>> Solaris 10 Media Kit $40 from Sun >> >> >> >>> Yup! And then you have to burn it to CD-ROM. The CD-ROMs that ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 42 of 42

  1. Re: Cheap server for solaris 10 scsa cert?

    Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
    > Doug McIntyre wrote:

    >>> Yup! And then you have to burn it to CD-ROM. The CD-ROMs that you burn

    >> Nope, no manuals what-so-ever. Just a big DVD-case with a bunch of
    >> DVDs in
    >> them (no CD-ROMs, if you want those, you'll have to burn them off the
    >> web download, although DVD-ROM is much much nicer). The Lite kit has
    >> like 4-5 DVDs, and the full kit is like 9-10 DVDs.

    > If Solaris used to fit on two or three CDs, or ONE DVD, why does it now
    > need 4-5 DVDs (or 9-10)??

    Solaris fits on one DVD, the other are for the unbundled extras. The
    media kits have always include extra CDs.

    --
    Ian Collins.

  2. Re: Cheap server for solaris 10 scsa cert?

    Dave (from the UK) wrote:
    > ewaguespack@gmail.com wrote:
    >> Dave (from the UK) wrote:

    >> I guess I should have mentioned that this box needs to be quiet... my
    >> wife gets pissed when she can't hear her TV

    > Does it need to be a server, or are you looking for a workstation? It
    > sounds more like a workstation spec is needed to me.
    >
    > If the latter, the choices I can think of, in rough order of
    > performance, would be the following. I don't think all the Ultra 1, ir
    > any are supported on Solaris 10, but they might run it okay.
    >
    > Ultra 1 (bit old)
    > Ultra 5 (IDE = cheap disks)
    > Ultra 10 (IDE = cheap disks)
    > Ultra 30 (SCSI, never a very popular machine, cheap)
    > Ultra 60 (up to 2 CPUs, SCSI)
    > Ultra 80 (up to 4 CPUS, SCSI)
    > Blade 100 (IDE, cheap)
    > Blade 150 (IDE, cheap)
    > Blade 1000 (FC-AL SCSI, upto 2 CPUs)

    Like you say Dave the Ultra 1 isn't supported BUT The Ultra 2 is,
    He did say noise was an issue so that would probably rule the Ultra 2
    out. I have one in the bedroom but find these days I can't get to sleep
    if I turn the thing off now :-)

    HTH
    Jim

+ Reply to Thread