Cheap server for solaris 10 scsa cert? - SUN

This is a discussion on Cheap server for solaris 10 scsa cert? - SUN ; Rich Teer wrote: > On Sat, 1 Apr 2006, Dave (from the UK) wrote: > > >>I've got a pair of Pentium II 450 MHz here which I removed the fans and a Sun >>PCI card from which I have ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 42

  1. Re: Cheap server for solaris 10 scsa cert?

    Rich Teer wrote:
    > On Sat, 1 Apr 2006, Dave (from the UK) wrote:
    >

    >>I've got a pair of Pentium II 450 MHz here which I removed the fans and a Sun
    >>PCI card from which I have also removed the fan. In each case I removed them

    > WHat SUn PCI card did you remove the fan from? I gave a SUn PCi IIpro, and
    > removing the fan seems like a good way to get rid of some of its noise.

    #include
    #include

    Rich, looking back it was almost 3 years ago (back in May 2003) I reported the
    Sun PCI II pro fan removal on comp.sys.sun.hardware.

    http://groups.google.co.uk/group/com...543c4cccbfb294

    Someone wrote their web pages about it back in June 2003

    http://www.sunwizard.net/html/articles/gt007.html

    where he had a Blade 2000. I assume he would have removed the pages had his Sun
    PCi II pro card died.

    What is the chance of one of those fans failing in 3 years? Pretty high I would
    think. If the fan fails, all the plastic will stop convection leaving only
    radiation to cool the CPU.

    #include
    #include

    --
    Dave K MCSE.

  2. Re: Cheap server for solaris 10 scsa cert?

    On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 18:47:52 -0600, Dave Uhring wrote:

    > Horsefeathers! My Ultra 60 is quieter than any of my tower PeeCees even
    > with two 10K rpm drives in it.

    Just got a used 2 CPU Ultra 60. I can hear it two rooms away. If those are
    standard 120mm/90mm fans I'm gonna be swapping them out very soon!!

    Lordy

  3. Re: Cheap server for solaris 10 scsa cert?

    On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 03:48:14 +0000, Lordy wrote:

    > On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 18:47:52 -0600, Dave Uhring wrote:
    >
    >> Horsefeathers! My Ultra 60 is quieter than any of my tower PeeCees even
    >> with two 10K rpm drives in it.

    > Just got a used 2 CPU Ultra 60. I can hear it two rooms away. If those are
    > standard 120mm/90mm fans I'm gonna be swapping them out very soon!!

    I guess we all have different tolerances for noise. I used to be a
    development test engineer for helicopter gun systems then spent over
    twenty years running a ready-mixed concrete business. My ears are
    probably less sensitive than yours.

    Still, the U60 is quieter than the PeeCees.

  4. Re: Cheap server for solaris 10 scsa cert?

    Dave Uhring wrote:
    > On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 01:56:48 +0100, Dave (from the UK) wrote:
    >
    >> Dave Uhring wrote:

    >>> Horsefeathers! My Ultra 60 is quieter than any of my tower PeeCees even
    >>> with two 10K rpm drives in it.

    >> Do you have the low-noise kit installed in that machine? They are not easy to
    >> find on the used market. Of course, you could get lucky (as I recently did) and
    >> buy one with it in, despite it was not advertised as such.

    > No idea about the kit. The 120 mm. fans are quiet as are the Seagate
    > Cheetah drives.

    If that were entirely true Dave, I might not have needed to do this last
    week: http://www.classiarius.com/pics/w2100z/acoustic/

    I still may cut out the 120mm case fan grill guard as it creates a bit
    of turbulence at almost 100 CFM. If that isn't to my liking, the case
    fan may even be swapped as a last resort. The Seagate's are not silent
    due to high frequency bearing whine.

  5. Re: Cheap server for solaris 10 scsa cert?

    On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 05:53:11 +0000, Wes W wrote:

    > Dave Uhring wrote:

    >> No idea about the kit. The 120 mm. fans are quiet as are the Seagate
    >> Cheetah drives.
    >>

    > If that were entirely true Dave, I might not have needed to do this last
    > week: http://www.classiarius.com/pics/w2100z/acoustic/

    Comparing 1U servers and tower workstations is somewhat ridiculous.

  6. Re: Cheap server for solaris 10 scsa cert?

    On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 22:06:34 -0600, Dave Uhring wrote:

    > I guess we all have different tolerances for noise. I used to be a
    > development test engineer for helicopter gun systems then spent over
    > twenty years running a ready-mixed concrete business. My ears are
    > probably less sensitive than yours.
    >
    > Still, the U60 is quieter than the PeeCees.

    My hearing is shafted due to too much loud music in my youth. I hate
    meeting softly spoken people because I cant pick up the slight sibilance
    that helps distinguish many words. But my U60 is much louder than any of
    my PCs are or any I've had in the past! It could be the bearings in the
    fans though. but it sounds more like pure 'wind' noise than mechanical
    noise.

    Lordy

  7. Re: Cheap server for solaris 10 scsa cert?

    Lordy wrote:
    > On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 18:47:52 -0600, Dave Uhring wrote:
    >

    >>Horsefeathers! My Ultra 60 is quieter than any of my tower PeeCees even
    >>with two 10K rpm drives in it.

    > Just got a used 2 CPU Ultra 60. I can hear it two rooms away. If those are
    > standard 120mm/90mm fans I'm gonna be swapping them out very soon!!
    >
    > Lordy

    All this talk about noise on the Ultra 60, one needs to state whether it has the
    low-noise kit fitted. The U 60 I have now is quieter than the other U 60 I have
    without the low noise kit. Years ago I fitted a low noise kit to another Ultra
    60 and was less impressed - I did not feel it was worth the 100 it cost me new
    from a Sun reseller. This

    If fitted, there is a black device about 35 x 25 x 8 mm (I'm only guessing the
    size as I can't be bothered to open mine up) that houses the electronics that
    sits near the top of the case. There is also a sensor.
    --
    Dave K MCSE.

  8. Re: Cheap server for solaris 10 scsa cert?

    On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 12:11:51 +0100, Dave (from the UK) wrote:

    >> Just got a used 2 CPU Ultra 60. I can hear it two rooms away. If those
    >> are standard 120mm/90mm fans I'm gonna be swapping them out very soon!!
    >>
    >> Lordy

    > All this talk about noise on the Ultra 60, one needs to state whether it
    > has the low-noise kit fitted.

    Without looking, I'm quite sure it hasnt got any kind of noise reduction!
    It sounds like a server that you put in a rack in a server room, not
    something that should be anywhere near a desk

    Lordy

  9. Re: Cheap server for solaris 10 scsa cert?

    Dave Uhring wrote:
    > On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 05:53:11 +0000, Wes W wrote:
    >
    >> Dave Uhring wrote:

    >>> No idea about the kit. The 120 mm. fans are quiet as are the Seagate
    >>> Cheetah drives.
    >>>

    >> If that were entirely true Dave, I might not have needed to do this last
    >> week: http://www.classiarius.com/pics/w2100z/acoustic/

    > Comparing 1U servers and tower workstations is somewhat ridiculous.

    True. But are not the Ultra 60 and W2100z both workstation towers?

  10. Re: Cheap server for solaris 10 scsa cert?

    ewaguespack@gmail.com wrote:
    > Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
    >
    >>ewaguespack@gmail.com wrote:
    >>

    >>>I have a sparc station model 544, but I dont think it's going to run
    >>>solaris 10.... what would you recommend as a cheap server that will run
    >>>solaris 10 (sparc).
    >>>
    >>>I would like to spend at the most 200-500$
    >>>
    >>>Thanks
    >>>

    >>If you just want a Sun box that will run Solaris 10, Sun Ultra 10s are
    >>dirt cheap on e-Bay. You'll pay a little more for the "Creator-3D"
    >>versions but the better graphics may be worth it. Even the Creator-3D
    >>shouldn't cost more than $100 US.
    >>
    >>If you really need a "Server", you might try for an Enterprise 250. Or
    >>just search e-Bay for "Sun Server" and see what pops up.

    > no, I don't need a "server" I was using the term incorrectly and
    > generically, I need a sparc workstation that will run solaris 10.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Then I believe that you can find happiness with an Ultra 10. I bought
    an Ultra 5 for the same purpose about four years ago. I have since
    added three Ultra 10 Creator-3D machines to my stable. The Ultra 10
    uses the same mother board as the Ultra 5 but has a larger power supply,
    space for two hard drives, space for a high performance graphics card
    and space to accomodate 256MB DIMMs without needing to remove the floppy
    drive.

    The capacity for two hard drives lets you play with Solaris Volume
    Manager if you are so inclined.

    Ultra-10 Creator-3D 440MHz =< $100 on e-Bay
    2 80GB IDE drives ~$70 each from PC Connection
    4x256MB DIMMs ~$200 (Optional)
    Solaris 10 Media Kit $40 from Sun

    You'll want a minimum of 256MB of RAM (4x64MB DIMMS) but more is better;
    how much better depends on your intended applications.

    At some point you will probably want a second machine in order to play
    with NIS and NFS.

  11. Re: Cheap server for solaris 10 scsa cert?

    Richard B. Gilbert wrote:

    > The capacity for two hard drives lets you play with Solaris Volume
    > Manager if you are so inclined.
    >
    > Ultra-10 Creator-3D 440MHz =< $100 on e-Bay
    > 2 80GB IDE drives ~$70 each from PC Connection
    > 4x256MB DIMMs ~$200 (Optional)
    > Solaris 10 Media Kit $40 from Sun

    The last on that list is a free download too.

    --
    Dave K MCSE.

  12. Re: Cheap server for solaris 10 scsa cert?

    On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 15:03:14 +0000, Wes W wrote:

    > Dave Uhring wrote:

    >>> If that were entirely true Dave, I might not have needed to do this last
    >>> week: http://www.classiarius.com/pics/w2100z/acoustic/

    >> Comparing 1U servers and tower workstations is somewhat ridiculous.
    >>

    > True. But are not the Ultra 60 and W2100z both workstation towers?

    Yes, indeed they are. I seem to have misinterpreted your pics and I am
    unfamiliar with the W2100z.

    Still, the U60 is located about 1 meter from my bed and

    [~]$ uptime
    10:29am up 91 day(s), 12:06, 1 user, load average: 0.58, 0.66, 0.39

  13. Re: Cheap server for solaris 10 scsa cert?

    > Just got a used 2 CPU Ultra 60. I can hear it two rooms away. If those are
    > standard 120mm/90mm fans I'm gonna be swapping them out very soon!!

    Sun made a Noise Reduction Kit for the Ultra 30/60 via option X2087A. If
    your system was made prior to 2000 or probably 1999, then it wouldn't have
    this noise reduction technology integrated by default.

    Trinean

  14. Re: Cheap server for solaris 10 scsa cert?

    4x256 is $100

  15. Re: Cheap server for solaris 10 scsa cert?

    Don't know about the states or england but in germany you have a lot of
    PeeCees that are below 30db and a quite one is one that has <= 20db.

    So maybe you should not look at the cheapest crap in the PC market when
    you compare it to a workstation.

  16. Re: Cheap server for solaris 10 scsa cert?

    On Sat, 1 Apr 2006, Dave (from the UK) wrote:

    > It was a Sun PCi II pro with a 733 MHz Celeron. I removed the plastic cover on
    > the heatink too. The fan is supposed to force air by the heatsink, but I
    > think the cover will create a lot of back-pressure so the flow must be pretty
    > small. However, I might be less inclined to do it in a machine with less
    > airflow than the U 80.

    Thanks for the info. I might give it a try...

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

  17. Re: Cheap server for solaris 10 scsa cert?

    Dave (from the UK) wrote:

    > Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
    >
    >> The capacity for two hard drives lets you play with Solaris Volume
    >> Manager if you are so inclined.
    >>
    >> Ultra-10 Creator-3D 440MHz =< $100 on e-Bay
    >> 2 80GB IDE drives ~$70 each from PC Connection
    >> 4x256MB DIMMs ~$200 (Optional)
    >> Solaris 10 Media Kit $40 from Sun

    > The last on that list is a free download too.

    Yup! And then you have to burn it to CD-ROM. The CD-ROMs that you burn
    may not boot, etc. The kit also includes, I believe, printed manuals
    (Installation, etc). I haven't purchased a Solaris 10 kit yet but the
    Solaris 8 and Solaris 9 kits contained CDs, DVDs, Manuals, etc. Worth
    the $40 IMHO.

  18. Re: Cheap server for solaris 10 scsa cert?

    "Richard B. Gilbert" writes:
    >>> Solaris 10 Media Kit $40 from Sun

    >Yup! And then you have to burn it to CD-ROM. The CD-ROMs that you burn
    > may not boot, etc. The kit also includes, I believe, printed manuals
    >(Installation, etc). I haven't purchased a Solaris 10 kit yet but the
    >Solaris 8 and Solaris 9 kits contained CDs, DVDs, Manuals, etc. Worth
    >the $40 IMHO.

    Nope, no manuals what-so-ever. Just a big DVD-case with a bunch of DVDs in
    them (no CD-ROMs, if you want those, you'll have to burn them off the
    web download, although DVD-ROM is much much nicer).
    The Lite kit has like 4-5 DVDs, and the full kit is like 9-10 DVDs.

  19. Re: Cheap server for solaris 10 scsa cert?

    Trinean wrote:
    >>Just got a used 2 CPU Ultra 60. I can hear it two rooms away. If those are
    >>standard 120mm/90mm fans I'm gonna be swapping them out very soon!!

    > Sun made a Noise Reduction Kit for the Ultra 30/60 via option X2087A. If
    > your system was made prior to 2000 or probably 1999, then it wouldn't have
    > this noise reduction technology integrated by default.
    >
    > Trinean

    Can I assume from that the noise reduction system was fitted as standard on
    later revisions of the U 60 ??

    I have owned three Ultra 60s but only one had the kit. I bought one myself from
    a Sun reseller a few years ago - at more than I recently paid for a complete
    Ultra 60 with the kit fitted!!

    --
    Dave K MCSE.

  20. Re: Cheap server for solaris 10 scsa cert?

    Doug McIntyre wrote:

    >>Yup! And then you have to burn it to CD-ROM. The CD-ROMs that you burn

    > Nope, no manuals what-so-ever. Just a big DVD-case with a bunch of DVDs in
    > them (no CD-ROMs, if you want those, you'll have to burn them off the
    > web download, although DVD-ROM is much much nicer).
    > The Lite kit has like 4-5 DVDs, and the full kit is like 9-10 DVDs.

    If Solaris used to fit on two or three CDs, or ONE DVD, why does it now
    need 4-5 DVDs (or 9-10)??